DESIGNER'S TOOLBOX - SETUPS

... Personally I think the reason you're so hostile in your responses regarding this is because you haven't grasped the very most basic symbolism. Things don't represent other things in your view of the world. You have no basis for interpretation. Start here. Here's a basic primer. Things represent other things. Music contains patterns that mean other things. Sometimes music isn't representational, but for the most part when it's paired with visuals like in drum corps, it means more than meets the eye. Here's a quiz:

What does the color red mean? What does it represent? In biology? In religion? In politics?

What does angular motion mean? What does it represent? In dance? In science?

What does flowing motion mean? What does it represent? In sex? In bodies of water?

What does the ground represent in literature and the arts?

Answer these honestly. This is a good test. See if you can do it. One of my friends is an accountant and can't do it.

Other than a few postings you have no data whatsoever about me as a person; yet you just attempted a psychoanalytical study on my perception? Then you immediately followed that up with questions that indicate I must have some sort deficiency of knowledge and/or intelligence? Thank You; and I am not being sarcastic!!! Because in doing so you have just reinforced my trepidations about what is actually blighting the inner workings of DCI.

• Like 1

Channel3: As for 'symbolism' of words, I am more astute than you realize. Because the way you write within your posts it comes across that you really enjoy smoking your own cigar.

Honestly, it's not worth it. After I didn't get any responses to some legitimate points I raised with some questions challenging their viewpoints I knew they were not interested in actually discussing and debating things unless it fits the narrative. You're feeding the fire IMO. You either agree, or they're just going to dance around any challenge to their viewpoint.

There are many ways to design, enjoy, and participate in drum corps. Some are simple, some are complex. But if in this discussion the only opinions taken seriously are the ones that match their own, I won't be a part of that. I suggest you do the same. I'm sure you see right now you are not gonna get anywhere else with this poster.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I wonder if this Channel3 poster is simply yanking our chains with this stuff, while laughing out loud at all the responses. :tongue:

• Like 3

I wonder if this Channel3 poster is simply yanking our chains with this stuff, while laughing out loud at all the responses. :tongue:

Whoa Nelly, that makes sense!!!!! Andy Kaufman is not dead.... he is Channel3!!!!!!!!!!

Other than a few postings you have no data whatsoever about me as a person; yet you just attempted a psychoanalytical study on my perception? Then you immediately followed that up with questions that indicate I must have some sort deficiency of knowledge and/or intelligence? Thank You; and I am not being sarcastic!!! Because in doing so you have just reinforced my trepidations about what is actually blighting the inner workings of DCI.

Gaspard, honey, do you even see in color? Do you dream at all after the accident? Have you ever seen a play? Have you ever traveled? When you ride on a boat do you look at the controls or the horizon? What's your favorite Italian Renaissance artist? Have you a flower species named after you? What's the farthest you've ever shot Coca Cola out of your nose?

Gaspard, honey, do you even see in color? Do you dream at all after the accident? Have you ever seen a play? Have you ever traveled? When you ride on a boat do you look at the controls or the horizon? What's your favorite Italian Renaissance artist? Have you a flower species named after you? What's the farthest you've ever shot Coca Cola out of your nose?

Talk, it's only talk

Arguments, agreements, advice, answers

Articulate announcements

It's only talk

Talk, it's only talk

Babble, burble, banter, bicker, bicker, bicker

Brouhaha, boulderdash, ballyhoo

It's only talk, back talk

Talk, talk, talk, it's only talk

Comments, cliches, commentary, controversy

Chatter, chit-chat, chit-chat, chit-chat

Conversation, contradiction, criticism

It's only talk, cheap talk

Talk, talk, it's only talk

Debates, discussions

These are words with a D this time

Dialogue, duologue, diatribe, dissention

Declamation, double talk, double talk

- King Crimson

Have you ever read Dante's Divine Comedy?

Will I let this die? No.

Post #47 inspired me to post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZPLtZQlLqg

I was one of the town gossips in our high school rendition of Music Man. I was a character actress from grade 7 to grade 13 and during 2 years University explored set design, costume, makeup, lighting, dance all during drum corps years. I sort of understand the point of OP Channel3 but lighten up C3. Drama isn't always dramatic. Set the stage, introduce the concept, provide context and let the 12 minutes flow is all I know. It's different than a 2 hour stage play let alone a 6 minute guard show in a gym. It's all about music on a field, that huge stage with many audience viewing and listening angles.

edit: flashback moment. I arranged the loan of our drum corps uniforms during the 76 trombones feature of our high school musical https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FQUvZwsGIY

Edited by lindap