DESIGNER'S TOOLBOX - SETUPS

Princess, I don't know how to play video games, I'm Mormon. :satisfied:

When you say the Divine Comedy, nobody knows what you're talking about. That's why Crown opted to make the title Inferno- -it just sounds more intense, it's the most popular book int he trilogy, the most well known name, and fits the visual theme they chose.

So, based on your comment it's clear you would have named Crown's show Divine Comedy. (Take that through a focus group and see how it does.) Or maybe you would have named the show Purgatorio. Honey, that's why you're not a designer. Who was that at the end of Crowns show climbing through the clouds out of hell? Dante's waitress from the River of Blood Restaurant in the sixth circle of Hell? No, it was Beatrice, the featured ingenue from the trilogy-- first second or third book, that's of little consequence. Another example of musicians' left brained minds at work on this forum-- "if the show is named from the first of three books, no characters from the other books can appear." My. God.

That girl "represented" Dante... I am pretty certain, though not 100%, that Crown said that themselves... And your description of the show was that "Dante endured the seven circles of Hell to free the soul of Beatrice"(Which had 9 circles, not 7) But if that were the case... who represented Dante if the girl was Beatrice? Please enlighten me. There was no indication that anybody was saving anyone from the depths of hell. How you drew that conjecture if not from using the plot of the movie or game is beyond me.

And, maybe I should help you out with a few things. The Divine Comedy was not a trilogy, or even a book. It was an epic poem that consisted of 3 canticas. Also, contrary to your beliefs, the people on this forum are more than intelligent enough to know that the Divine Comedy contains the Inferno, and that I am referring to the first canticle in the context of crowns show. And while we are correcting your misunderstandings, there is very little scientific evidence that people have stronger left or right brains networks.

So no, you did not school everyone. And next time you decide to refer to the people of this forum as "Plumbers Cracks" or "Meat Puppets", try to remember that you too fail to understand the source material to which you so desperately cling.

Edited by Clutchtow
  • Like 1

... I'm Mormon....

Unless you are claiming that you are a cast member in the musical The Book of Mormon, with the personal attack types of phrases that you use, and especially the vain way you closed a posting with the words 'My God', I seriously doubt your claim. Just sayin'.

Shoshanna, none of us is entirely certain you're even following the point of discussion! Here's a primer:

What's important:

1) Crown featured Beatrice.

2) None of the plumbers cracks here on Drum Corp Planet even read Inferno, or the entire Divine Comedy, or even knew who the female character was or cared.

3) I did. I schooled everyone, and years later people are still talking about it.

What's not important

4) Beatrice doesn't appear until the third book in the trilogy, yet my review refers to her in the first book, Inferno. My god, LaShaunda, who cares?

55755172.jpg

• Like 1

Just about every reason some readers are challenged by your demeanor is summed up by those two points. (Referring to readers as "plumbers' cracks," stating that people are still "talking about it" years later, etc.) I'm a big believer in the power of tact and I respectfully encourage you to reflect on that. Peace.

Meh, I think it is all just an act for our entertainment. The work of a sophisticated troll and/or a liberal arts professor. Either way, not someone to be taken seriously.
  • Like 3

There are some interesting points but to codify and adhere to ‘artistic rules’ kills the art.

I recall a film critic and teacher noting how, in the mid 1960s, Stanley Kubrick declined his offers both to guest teach a class and to be interviewed about his work on the grounds that doing so might lead him to become too "formalized".

That said, it can be, as you say, quite interesting for the rest of us to think about!

Some friends of mine once put it this way:

"1. -- Wow, that was cool.

2. -- Gee, I wonder what made it so cool?

3. -- Hmm, now that I think about it, I know what made it cool.

4. -- But how does that coolness work?

5. -- Ah, some guy has a theory for why things are cool. When I apply it here, you can REALLY see how cool it is.

6. -- Maybe I should write this down so other people can see how cool this is and enjoy it more."

That girl "represented" Dante... I am pretty certain, though not 100%, that Crown said that themselves... And your description of the show was that "Dante endured the seven circles of Hell to free the soul of Beatrice"(Which had 9 circles, not 7) But if that were the case... who represented Dante if the girl was Beatrice? Please enlighten me. There was no indication that anybody was saving anyone from the depths of hell. How you drew that conjecture if not from using the plot of the movie or game is beyond me.

And, maybe I should help you out with a few things. The Divine Comedy was not a trilogy, or even a book. It was an epic poem that consisted of 3 canticas. Also, contrary to your beliefs, the people on this forum are more than intelligent enough to know that the Divine Comedy contains the Inferno, and that I am referring to the first canticle in the context of crowns show. And while we are correcting your misunderstandings, there is very little scientific evidence that people have stronger left or right brains networks.

So no, you did not school everyone. And next time you decide to refer to the people of this forum as "Plumbers Cracks" or "Meat Puppets", try to remember that you too fail to understand the source material to which you so desperately cling.

Who is underneath the river of blood, reaching out to her and getting pulled back? Some waiter angry about Beatrice's tip? An interior designer who thinks she's making a big mistake choosing a big red cloth for her living room? Although he's not represented by a character in this production, the basic story is Dante goes into hell to retrieve Beatrice. That's why he's there. Dante's not in hell to scope out the depressed real estate prices! :laugh: Be honest, are you in a scientific or mathematical or engineering field? :laugh:

I am looking forward to the day when a Corps does a 12 minute show revolving around the Novel " In Search of Lost Time ", by French writer, Marcel Proust. It has 7 volumes, 1.2 million words, and written around 1913 to about 1920 or so. I would enjoy reading the DCP commentary on what was omitted in the 12 minute show, and why such omissions in the 7 volume novel was so critical to one's loss of enjoyment in the 12 minute depiction. Other Novels along these same lines would be"Ulysses" by Irish writer, James Joyce...." War and Peace " by Russian writer, Leo Tolstoy..... and " Artamene " ( aka.." Cyrus the Great" ), written by Madeleine de Scudery, French Novelist,10 parts, 3 volumes, approx. 2 million words, written from 1649- 1653 time frame, completed around 1654.

Ya think, if a Corps did a 12 minute show revolving around these literary works, that they just might leave a couple of " crucial " things and/ or chapters out ?

Edited by BRASSO

I am looking forward to the day when a Corps does a 12 minute show revolving around the Novel " In Search of Lost Time ", by French writer, Marcel Proust. It has 7 volumes, 1.2 million words, and written around 1913 to about 1920 or so. I would enjoy reading the DCP commentary on what was omitted in the 12 minute show, and why such omissions in the 7 volume novel was so critical to one's loss of enjoyment in the 12 minute depiction. Other Novels along these same lines would be"Ulysses" by Irish writer, James Joyce...." War and Peace " by Russian writer, Leo Tolstoy..... and " Artamene " ( aka.." Cyrus the Great" ), written by Madeleine de Scudery, French Novelist,10 parts, 3 volumes, approx. 2 million words, written from 1649- 1653 time frame, completed around 1654.

Ya think, if a Corps did a 12 minute show revolving around these literary works, that they just might leave a couple of " crucial " things and/ or chapters out ?

better hope so! :tounge2:

• Like 1

Although he's not represented by a character in this production, the basic story is Dante goes into hell to retrieve Beatrice. That's why he's there.

No, that's really, really not the story.

• Like 1