DESIGNER'S TOOLBOX - SETUPS

You're just digging yourself in deeper. Here is what you wrote in the Bluecoats 2016 thread:

"2015 Crown: Dante endured the seven circles of Hell to free the soul of Beatrice".

That isn't what happens in Dante's poem, not at all. If we could summon the shade of Dante, he would tell you not only that you misrepresent his tale (in at least two ways), but that what you describe is impossible.

Dante is a man. Let's start there. It's not a girl. Are you with me so far?

Here's what I was given by the corps last summer.

Carolina Crown 2015 Show Document

Join Carolina Crown as we descend into our 2015 production, Inferno. This is an emotionally charged musical and visual story inspired by Dante Alighieri, Gustav Dore, and the composers of the source material, that brings the audience along on a climactic, expressive, and spiritual journey.

The show opens helplessly lost in vast dark woods. Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, 1st Movement, provides the setting for an ominous discovery – as we come upon the Gates of Hell and our journey begins! The terror of Hell’s Gates and the overwhelming fear of passing through them is portrayed creatively and technically, with the movement ending as the Gates of Hell slam shut behind us in a musical climax.

Upon entering Hell, we feature an original percussion composition entitled “Gates Of Hell” - establishing the soundscape of our entrance and the beginnings of our journey through the nine rings of hell.

The journey through the multiple circles of Hell is delivered sonically by the pieces: The Gates of Hell, Dies Irae by Giuseppe Verdi, and Symphony for Organ and Orchestra by Aaron Copland.

This musical excursion is visually expressed through powerful choreography, purposeful staging, intense character portrayal, bold costuming, and recurring large-scale fabric effects as we travel deeper and deeper to our final encounter with Satan.

When entering the final ring of Hell, we find Satan trapped, condemned for his sins against God. The audience experiences a frightening yet intimate moment in this deepest layer of hell, meeting Satan. Adagio in G minor by Remo Giazotto brings viewers to this awful place for a one on one encounter with the Devil.

Finally – the 4th movement of Beethoven Symphony No. 9 establishes our triumphant escapefrom the devil and the deepest circle of Hell. This relentless musical composition and adventurous visual interpretation deliver performers and audience members to a joyous catharsis as we emerge together beneath a beautiful sky, just before dawn, on Easter morning.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

The corps also sent out this:

Inferno (Italian for "Hell") is the first part of Dante Alighieri's 14th-century epic poem, Divine Comedy. It is an allegory telling of the journey of Dante through Hell, guided by the Roman poet Virgil. In the poem, Hell is depicted as nine circles of suffering located within the Earth. Allegorically, the Divine Comedy represents the journey of the soul towards God, with the Inferno describing the recognition and rejection of sin.

The 2015 edition of Carolina Crown transforms their sonic and visual stage into a dramatic depiction of hell as the audience takes Dante and Virgil’s cathartic journey through the various rings of sins and sinners. Beginning at the Gates of Hell, braving the harsh environments, facing Satan in the 9th ring, and ultimately escaping back to the surface of the earth, the performers deliver a thoughtful and emotional program rich with sinful imagery.

• Like 1

And realizing none of this might help clarify things here, these are the notes I took while interviewing corps director Jim Coates:

Past week working on detailing to get rid of redness on guard to turn white. A veil of white atop the guard, climbing pole to gates of paradise.

9th circle when covered with red veil is face-to-face with Satan. People trying to get out of the red. A couple try to climb out and are dragged back in. Person slithers out, but pulled back in. When solo dancer runs over to the flugelhorn soloist and pulls veil off him is beginning of ascension. Hard to see through veil, light creates a sheen; hard to see drum major.

Show starts out lost in the woods. “Dies Irea” see nine concentric circles and again in Copland. Throughout show, whenever corps goes into free form of drill, express the characterizations of being in Hell.

Red represents the torn flesh of the sinners.

The main character leads us through the circles of Hell, climbs out of Hell at end. Climbing up the pull represents the ascension out of Hell.

Costume has nine red rings that start in lower leg and goes all the way up to the top of the hat. Last red on pants fades as it goes into ground. Feather reaching up to Heaven.

There are some interesting points but to codify and adhere to ‘artistic rules’ kills the art

Perhaps they are best suited for B-level high school band programs

I didn't say "rules". You did. That's how your mind works. (Left brain alert.)

In the realm of food, are things like recipe backstory, flavor profiles and local sourcing called "rules"? No of course not. They're food marketing guidelines. They help build meaning around food, and help sell it. (I feel like I'm in high school.)

These guidelines are a launching point for developing meaning and human resonance in any production-- the creativity is limitless. These guidelines are square one to help lost corps designers develop meaning and a through line, two of the very most basic components of any performing art. These guidelines prevent designers from abstract diaper designs like "yogurt blob" formations as one drill designer called them, and prevents them from creating a meaningless show around a non-descript general adjective or property (Tilt), or an empty numeral (Ten), or vague scientific phenomenon without resonance (Kinetic Noise), all of which were exquisitely detailed shows with a profound, almost cold-blooded lack of meaning, humor, or human resonance for marching members and audiences, alike.

Edited by Channel3

I didn't say "rules". You did. That's how your mind works. (Left brain alert.)

In the realm of food, are things like recipe backstory, flavor profiles and local sourcing called "rules"? No of course not. They're food marketing guidelines. They help build meaning around food, and help sell it. (I feel like I'm in high school.)

These guidelines are a launching point for developing meaning and human resonance in any production-- the creativity is limitless. These guidelines are square one to help lost corps designers develop meaning and a through line, two of the very most basic components of any performing art. These guidelines prevent designers from abstract diaper designs like "yogurt blob" formations as one drill designer called them, and prevents them from creating a meaningless show around a non-descript general adjective or property (Tilt), or an empty numeral (Ten), or vague scientific phenomenon without resonance (Kinetic Noise), all of which were exquisitely automated shows with a profound, almost cold-blooded lack of meaning, humor, or human resonance for marching members and audiences, alike.

Out of curiosity, what is your design background, C3?

• Like 1

You're just digging yourself in deeper. Here is what you wrote in the Bluecoats 2016 thread:

"2015 Crown: Dante endured the seven circles of Hell to free the soul of Beatrice".

That isn't what happens in Dante's poem, not at all. If we could summon the shade of Dante, he would tell you not only that you misrepresent his tale (in at least two ways), but that what you describe is impossible.

Sure. (Although if we're going to throw around "left brain" as an insult, I'm not sure if Dante's gender matters. Maybe that's why you use "it" to describe him? Last year I proposed on these forums that the entire audience was Dante, getting a guided tour of Hell, which is really what the plot of the Inferno consists of.)

My turn:

Beatrice isn't in Hell and therefore doesn't need to be rescued from Hell.

And Crown's PR material that Michael Boo has provided says nothing about changing the story to fit your description.

Are you with me so far?

• Like 1

Ugh. Classic left brain thinking.

EDIT: darn, N.E Brigand beat me to it

Edited by Clutchtow