DESIGNER'S TOOLBOX - SETUPS

Here's what I was given by the corps last summer.

Carolina Crown 2015 Show Document

Join Carolina Crown as we descend into our 2015 production, Inferno. This is an emotionally charged musical and visual story inspired by Dante Alighieri, Gustav Dore, and the composers of the source material, that brings the audience along on a climactic, expressive, and spiritual journey.

The show opens helplessly lost in vast dark woods. Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, 1st Movement, provides the setting for an ominous discovery – as we come upon the Gates of Hell and our journey begins! The terror of Hell’s Gates and the overwhelming fear of passing through them is portrayed creatively and technically, with the movement ending as the Gates of Hell slam shut behind us in a musical climax.

Upon entering Hell, we feature an original percussion composition entitled “Gates Of Hell” - establishing the soundscape of our entrance and the beginnings of our journey through the nine rings of hell.

The journey through the multiple circles of Hell is delivered sonically by the pieces: The Gates of Hell, Dies Irae by Giuseppe Verdi, and Symphony for Organ and Orchestra by Aaron Copland.

This musical excursion is visually expressed through powerful choreography, purposeful staging, intense character portrayal, bold costuming, and recurring large-scale fabric effects as we travel deeper and deeper to our final encounter with Satan.

When entering the final ring of Hell, we find Satan trapped, condemned for his sins against God. The audience experiences a frightening yet intimate moment in this deepest layer of hell, meeting Satan. Adagio in G minor by Remo Giazotto brings viewers to this awful place for a one on one encounter with the Devil.

Finally – the 4th movement of Beethoven Symphony No. 9 establishes our triumphant escapefrom the devil and the deepest circle of Hell. This relentless musical composition and adventurous visual interpretation deliver performers and audience members to a joyous catharsis as we emerge together beneath a beautiful sky, just before dawn, on Easter morning.

This is actually really interesting. Do most corps give you a show document like this? I would love to see them to compare what I got from a show to what they were trying to convey!

• Like 2

This is actually really interesting. Do most corps give you a show document like this? I would love to see them to compare what I got from a show to what they were trying to convey!

Thank you for this insider document, Michael Boo. I'm shocked at its lack of specificity. I personally never saw Satan characterized in this show. I wonder how early in the season this document was written, and what time of night.

Edited by Channel3

Who is underneath the river of blood, reaching out to her and getting pulled back? Some waiter angry about Beatrice's tip? An interior designer who thinks she's making a big mistake choosing a big red cloth for her living room? Although he's not represented by a character in this production, the basic story is Dante goes into hell to retrieve Beatrice. That's why he's there. Dante's not in hell to scope out the depressed real estate prices! :laugh: Be honest, are you in a scientific or mathematical or engineering field? :laugh:

Sorry, didn't respond to this one. I think the symbolism of the multiple people under the red fabric was pretty simple. They were sinners, oppressed by the weight of their sin and writhing in anguish. People were trying to escape their suffering, only to be dragged back. That was my interpretation. Still, there was no indication that the gaurd member dancing in front of the red silk was symbolizing Beatrice. As for the part I bolded, this is what I am referring to. That is the plot of the movie/video game. In the original, Dante ventures into hell to see what would happen to him if he continues on his current path, and ventures through purgatory and heaven to see the results of the right path. Unless you had seen the movie and never read the poem, I have no earthly idea where you would come up with dante going into hell to retrieve beatrice, unless you just didn't watch crowns show at all and made up your own variation.

If you are curious, you are correct, I am an electrical engineer. However, I can't believe that implies that I am not an out of the box thinker. Believing that would in turn make my thinking very much in the box, and thus become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Also, to quote my father (probably quoting someone else), "The man who thinks he is the smartest in the room seldom is."

I always liked that little nugget of wisdom.

Edited by Clutchtow

Thank you for this insider document, Michael Boo. I'm shocked at its lack of specificity. I personally never saw Satan characterized in this show. I wonder how early in the season this document was written, and what time of night.

You're most welcome. This came during the pre-season.

Edited by Michael Boo

Yes, they do. It's a big help to me. I don't think it would be a good idea to share them all, as I haven't been given permission to do that. But the Crown stuff I shared was sent out to multiple parties.

Yes, they do. It's a big help to me. I don't think it would be a good idea to share them all, as I haven't been given permission to do that. But the Crown stuff I shared was sent out to multiple parties.

Why wouldn't all corps provide this level of detail? That's a missed opportunity, I think. Perhaps they can write a short story and sell the show cliff notes. There you go, a revenue opportunity!

PS - Yes, I know, the yearbook. But even the yearbook doesn't give you that much detail. Also, show announcements, meh!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

I need to get a job putting together the show writeups for some corps.

Overwriting tortured, nonsensical, bizarre prose is one of my specialties. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I am an architect. I built this building. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKeENdyIluI

Hundreds of people in the Philippians are shown fleeing in danger for their lives and immediately become homeless losing all their possessions due to the collapse of their building, and you use that as an attempt at humor. Um, not funny, but is right in line with your other postings.