When does audition info for 2017 come out?

Unfortunately, my parents and my band directors have changed their minds in letting me March 7th.

Its a shame. BassClefTristan when multiple adults gave you the go ahead, then " changed their minds " on a dime like this. Adults can be so unpredictable and fickle sometimes. but you live and learn from every experience that crosses your path. Hopefully, the adults around you won't change their minds again like this on you when the 2017 try out camps roll around. I have a hunch that you'll be much wiser and much better for the experience you've shared with us these last few weeks.

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah...

Perhaps it's quite fortunate that the adults around him have made their decision. I wouldn't claim to have a superior insight to this kid's situation above that of his parents. Parents are obligated to change their minds... thank goodness.

To the O.P.:

the best way into a drumcorps is through the audition process that begins in the fall. Filling a spot for a group willing to take anyone (especially an inexperienced prospect that didn't go through the winter program) is not the ideal situation. It is possible to jump head first into unfamiliar waters and have a great time... on the other hand, you could break your neck.

That's the parent in me.

It is a bit odd, that he would not have runway clearance from Air Traffic Controllers ( ie, his parents ) BEFORE his plane took off down the runway to flight ( to 7th Regiment ) Thats all. For context, he's from Tennessee, and 7th Regiment is in Connecticut. The flight take off was aborted by Air Traffic Controllers, ( Parents ) and FAA ( Band Director ) so naturally we all want to know what happened, with no airlines spin, thats all. Relax.

"No tap dancing, just the truth please" comes off as unnecessarily aggressive/mean-spirited and he is under no obligation to tell a bunch of strangers on DCP the reasons for why his parents said no.

Perhaps I'm being a little defensive because I can identify with him/her. I'm the ripe age of 20 and would have loved to have marched, but my parents would never let me, and honestly I don't think I would have the time to anyways.

Perhaps I'm being a little defensive because I can identify with him/her. I'm the ripe age of 20 and would have loved to have marched, but my parents would never let me, and honestly I don't think I would have the time to anyways.

Too bad you were not allowed to march. Don't sell yourself short. If you could have marched, you read like someone who would have made it happen.

• Like 2

he is under no obligation to tell a bunch of strangers on DCP the reasons for why his parents said no.

He is under no obligation on here to do anything more than the guidelines instruct. Thats a given. Those guidelines apply equally to one and all here. Nobody here has to post anything they choose not too either. Thats also a given.

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah...

Perhaps it's quite fortunate that the adults around him have made their decision.

Perhaps. Thats one take. A legitimate one. Another take could be that the adults mishandled the situation, by making 2 decisions, and could have avoided his obvious frustration, by taking the time, doing their due diligence, and then making the right decision the first time, instead of having to renege on the first promise made to him ( which got him and all of us here happy and genuinely excited for him ) where apparently he had initially received their blessing and approval. Thats a legitimate take as well, imo. A third take here is that we don't really know the full story here. Thats certainly not an implausable thought, imo. The fact that there is little curiosity here by a few DCP'ers is their perogative too, of course. Perhaps Ghost, naturally peaked with curiosity on this, could have rephrased his question a bit better. On the other hand, if we read the totality of Ghosts comments here to this young teen, it seems clear to me that he was pleased he found a spot, and even now wishes him well, but simply wanted to know why the sudden flip flop from the adults after apparently receiving their initial approval from both his parents and his band directors. Of course, he need not share with us why the sudden withdrawal of approval with us. That silence from him on this actually might be the best DCP course of action here from him moving forward in my opinion. In any event, we can all hope that things work out much better for him moving forward regarding the communication between himself, and his parents and band directors.

Edited by BRASSO

Thank you all, again. UPDATE: Music City has begun taking names for 2017, so I filled out two interest forms, one for Baritone, and another for Drum Major (I've been practicing conducting for a pretty long time and i'm a leader so why not?) Should I fill out another for Tuba? Or should I just tell them I can also play Tuba?

Thank you all, again. UPDATE: Music City has begun taking names for 2017, so I filled out two interest forms, one for Baritone, and another for Drum Major (I've been practicing conducting for a pretty long time and i'm a leader so why not?) Should I fill out another for Tuba? Or should I just tell them I can also play Tuba?

Ask both your Parents and your Band Directors what they think you should do. They know you better than anyone on here, and thus would be in the best position to know whats best for you. Besides, as all of us here have learned, without their prior approval, you arn't about to march anywhere next season, no matter the advice anyone on here might provide you now.

Edited by BRASSO