Is it a mistake?

To make this approach fool proof for the duration of the season... the judges friendships will be temporarily revoked, their fan network subscriptions will be suspended, they will be blocked from Youtube and their cell phones will be confiscated.

Perhaps solitary-confinement hotel rooms, too? LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Perhaps solitary-confinement hotel rooms, too? LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ

• Like 1

posting recaps has nothing to do with show of the day mentality. This past fall I judged the same group 2 days in a row. When show 1 was over, i put my tote away, and went out and judged not caring or remembering what I gave that band the night before.

recaps were posted in 08, didnt slow down Phantom. didnt slow down BD coming back last year, or in 97 when SCV tied at semis...and of course Phantom in 96. theres a zillion examples out there of show of the day being applied regardless of recaps being posted.

There are also examples of herd judging mentality. 2014 99.65 comes screamingly to mind. All anyone has to do, to see that herd judging mentality exists, is to look at the scores of the first 2 shows in 2011, then what followed. Proves it right there. I hope this move will eliminate herd judging mentality.

I wouldn’t be surprised if DCI never releases them

They’ll look at them at the end of the season, see how they fall and about the only way DCI will look good is if they look the same as they do every year which, means no point in continuing this practice

the corps approved this, so it makes me think something is fishy and as a fan with a good eye, I think something is fishy and that trends are often being judged and endorsed by judged results

Plus I’ve spoken with some judges that were released by DCI for 'miscalling' their captions, something is rotten in California

• Like 1

Selfishly, the one thing I know for sure is I'm going to get a lot more sleep this summer.

Oh, shoot, Wes, of course, that's the reason. Dan Acheson went to the DCI corps directors, hat in hand, and said: "We have to do something. Boo is exhausted. I know, I know, he should put the laptop down and walk away from the caption scores, but he can't do it..."

Oh, shoot, Wes, of course, that's the reason. Dan Acheson went to the DCI corps directors, hat in hand, and said: "We have to do something. Boo is exhausted. I know, I know, he should put the laptop down and walk away from the caption scores, but he can't do it..."

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Maybe he (Boo) can threaten them with the current threat rage: "I'll put my laptop down and walk away from the caption scores --when you release the transcripts of your backroom speeches." :colgate::ninja::colgate::ninja::peek:

Edited by HornTeacher

So sorry if you, or any DCI judges, were offended by the suggestion that the system might be improved in some way. I imagine that some judges also took offense when told they had to mark ticks instead of just giving a score out of the blue. I am sure a few judges were offended at the thought that they would have to write down comments, or dictate them into tape recorders. And certainly, offense was taken when judges were first required to explain themselves to instructors face to face in critiques.

But this is the nature of judging art. Since there can be no perfect system, we will always be looking for ways to improve upon its imperfections.

Drum corps uses subjective judging. Wherever there is subjectivity involved, human beings are vulnerable to various biases. Judges should not feel insulted to be considered human beings.

it has nothing to do with an improvement...it has to do with the fact that some judges are very independent and arent recap watchers and didnt like being lumped in with those who may. the PR was an across the board smack on the hands to all DCI judges,, when indeed, the reality may be it actually is far fewer than what DCi thinks

There are also examples of herd judging mentality. 2014 99.65 comes screamingly to mind. All anyone has to do, to see that herd judging mentality exists, is to look at the scores of the first 2 shows in 2011, then what followed. Proves it right there. I hope this move will eliminate herd judging mentality.

99.65 was deserved.

• Like 2