So who will fall?

And I'm wondering how "hidden subcaption scores" will affect the impact of this thread.

Could it shake up ALL of the placements? Hmmm...

This rule was put in place to lessen the possibility that DCI judges would utilize previous shows scores from impacting their evaluations when they get to see, hear, and evaluate all the performances, at the shows they judge. Its a nice thought and a nice rule iin all, but I believe will have no impact on what the judges will do.

That said, I predict much volatility in the scores , spreads this season from show to show. Thats because, imo, the music judges will be asked to judge completely different musical sounds from the field that are created by completely different instrumentations, in combination with adult created sound machines altering the music sounds altogether. In this impossible situation to determine which completely different musical sounds is " better ", judges will be reduced to determining which of these completely different musical sounds coming from the field that they " like " better. To that extent, a person's " like " in music is much more personal in nature.. including judges themserlves. So the recap secrecy rule won't have nearly the effect on this predicted volatility in the 2016 scores and spreads, as will the disparity in the instrumentations, and the manner in which these completely different musical sounds among these Corps will reach the judges ears. For example, if the judge prefers the sounds of a Drum & Bugle Corps, he may score their music " better "with that Corps over that of another, that has a different sound altogether. If another judge likes the sounds of( for example ) Marching Bands, he might score that musical sound better over the one that sounds more like a Drum & Bugle Corps. Do people see my point here ? The sounds from the field with these Drum Corps will have little in common with one another in many respects this season now. I said before on here... go easy on the judges this year. They will be telling us what sounds they" like", not which is" better", as no such " better" comparison can possibly be made any longer, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Blue Stars percussion, alone, will keep that corps in finals. As been stated, they might, potentially, have one of the best frontlines in the activity, this year. The Blue Stars created a show on smart design and lessons learned. With that being said and from what I've seen and heard, I'm not drinking the super hype Kool-Aid. First, their show is much more mature and much better than last year; but, in all reality (and it kills me to say this), I see them going no higher than 10th...maybe, just maybe, 9th...but, no lower than 11th. They will be a lock for finals.
The drum corps plague of 2016 struck early this year and they have members coming in and out; however, once they are at full strength, I could see them locking horns and being competitive with The Phantom Regiment. Both of those corps seem to be on the same level right now.

Edited by corps8294

Blue Stars percussion, alone, will keep that corps in finals. As been stated, they might, potentially, have one of the best frontlines in the activity, this year. The Blue Stars created a show on smart design and lessons learned. With that being said and from what I've seen and heard, I'm not drinking the super hype Kool-Aid. First, their show is much more mature and much better than last year; but, in all reality (and it kills me to say this), I see them going no higher than 10th...maybe, just maybe, 9th...but, no lower than 11th. They will be a lock for finals.

The drum corps plague of 2016 struck early this year and they have members coming in and out; however, once they are at full strength, I could see them locking horns and being competitive with The Phantom Regiment. Both of those corps seem to be on the same level right now.

Going into 2008 you never thought they'd go from 14th to 8th. Nothing is impossible especially if the guard can pull off another 2014 (3rd place) and the percussion can move up to around 5th.

• Like 1

I think Cavies will rise. But I am also a homer.

Their new show feels a little reminiscent of Bluecoats, which is interesting. (So does Crossmen). There is a lot to work with in the show concept to make it edgier and more "Cavaliers-like."

The worst fall that the Couchmen should face this year, is the fall off the Couch.

This rule was put in place to lessen the possibility that DCI judges would utilize previous shows scores from impacting their evaluations when they get to see, hear, and evaluate all the performances, at the shows they judge. Its a nice thought and a nice rule iin all, but I believe will have no impact on what the judges will do.

That said, I predict much volatility in the scores , spreads this season from show to show. Thats because, imo, the music judges will be asked to judge completely different musical sounds from the field that are created by completely different instrumentations, in combination with adult created sound machines altering the music sounds altogether. In this impossible situation to determine which completely different musical sounds is " better ", judges will be reduced to determining which of these completely different musical sounds coming from the field that they " like " better. To that extent, a person's " like " in music is much more personal in nature.. including judges themserlves. So the recap secrecy rule won't have nearly the effect on this predicted volatility in the 2016 scores and spreads, as will the disparity in the instrumentations, and the manner in which these completely different musical sounds among these Corps will reach the judges ears. For example, if the judge prefers the sounds of a Drum & Bugle Corps, he may score their music " better "with that Corps over that of another, that has a different sound altogether. If another judge likes the sounds of( for example ) Marching Bands, he might score that musical sound better over the one that sounds more like a Drum & Bugle Corps. Do people see my point here ? The sounds from the field with these Drum Corps will have little in common with one another in many respects this season now. I said before on here... go easy on the judges this year. They will be telling us what sounds they" like", not which is" better", as no such " better" comparison can possibly be made any longer, imo.

It is apparent that you have spent WAAAAYYYY too much time following the current political news.

You need to view BAC tonight.

Scouts have the most to prove with their newish design staff. Last year's finish -- after a slow start -- was a welcome surprise (to a lot of people, at least).

Cavies and Phantom appear to be more solid than last year. I keep hearing good things about Blue Stars.

IDK - Madison is the biggest unknown to me.

You won't be disappointed with Madison. The 2016 show is more mature, more sophisticated, more demanding, and better designed than the 2015 show (which I loved). Guard work is much more intricate than last year and they seem to be improved. Show is very high energy and exciting. Will they place better than 2015? Who knows. Honestly, Cavies look great, I've been hearing great things about BK and Blue Stars, so who knows. But I feel Madison has definitely improved on last year, on all levels (save percussion because I don't know a thing about percussion).

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1