Stanford Showdown - DCI West

................ nm.................

Edited by BRASSO

Has noone on DCP ever physically seen a show packet? It CLEARLY states that timing penalties are not assessed until July (the specific date changes) EVERY year.

On July 31st, 2013 the Oregon Crusaders were assessed a 7... SEVEN... point penalty for starting LATE in performance. It is not true however that the date for the imposition of a timing penalty changes " EVERY year. " The fact of the matter is, that for over 3 decades there was no waiver of the timing penalty for failure to start within the prescribed time limit from the completion of the previous Corps in the show competition. The waiver of such a timing rule never took place before for early shows in June. It is a recent phenomenom in DCI that they decided to adopt this ( as a pm message from an insider just alerted me to ). That said, thank you ( and my pm'er ) for at least clarifying that under the current rules for June, no Corps is under any timing obligation at all to start their show in performance after another right before them has finished until they are dam good and ready, no matter how long it takes, and judges, fans patience be dammed with that delay.

Edited by BRASSO

C) no liquids were left on the field. Liquids can be deemed almost as problematic, for just one example, as any previous Corps leaving footprints on a rainy, mushing real grass field, and the following Corps having to go on after that, imo. baby powder is absorbed into the air quickly. What competitive disadvantage does a Corps have when a previous Corps utilizes a small bit of baby powder in their opener, that is now... 15-17 minutes later... mostly now completely dissolved into the air by the time the next Corps is made to take the field of competition ? Look, this Corps did receive a penalty at Championships Quarterfinals for the unknowing use of a little baby powder in their opener, accepted the penalty without appeal too. The penalty did knock them down a placement, but the next show at Semi's they went on without the baby powder, and moved up in placement.. but none of this explains this weekend, imo... other than the peculiar application of penalties and the non application of penalties.

5) Even if BK's undertime was 7 minutes ( others here said...5 or so.. but nonetheless ) it is still well below the minimum required to avoid a timing penalty assessment. Yet no penalty was imposed... and no explanation has been provided, as far as we know. Also, the following nite, the show was taped. So we had evidence of the timing clock when the Mandarins show was completed, and when BK 's show began. BK was WAY over the time required to start their show after the Mandarins completed their show performance in competition. The Mandarins got off the field swiftly and appropriately after their performance too. All those who watched the show on the live stream could see this too, with the clock time running too, as concrete evidence of the violation of the time requirement with BK to begin. Once again, no timing penalty was imposed with BK here either. Look, I'm not trying to beat up on BK here. it could have been any other Corps here. Maybe DCI should just not impose any penalties at all moving forward. If there is going to be arbitrariness to it, then scrap the whole dam thing altogether regarding penalties. Or, my preferred choice, if you have rules, enforce them as agreed too by all the competitors beforehand. Otherwise, whats the point of having any rules for the judged competition at all.

The corps in question, wasn't penalized for baby powder on the field.. they were penalized for powder on the smooth concrete floor of the entrance tunnel.. making it very slick, and therefore a safety issue.

also.. baby powder is a solid, it WILL settle to the ground.. it cannot be "absorbed" by the air... not chemically possible.

Edited by mellojay84

For anybody who wants to know the salient details of the past 10 pages or so:

1) baby powder is a solid

2) no timing penalties until july

3) some people on DCP tell us they prefer shortened 5-7 minute show performances over 10 minute full show performances by Corps. ( according to the poll )

4) 95% of these same people would demand a movie refund if a movie suddenly stopped mid stream in the movie house.

Guess that about sums up things, and its time now to move on, as the Stanford show is now over and finished with.

Edited by BRASSO

On July 31st, 2013 the Oregon Crusaders were assessed a 7... SEVEN... point penalty for starting LATE in performance. It is not true however that the date for the imposition of a timing penalty changes " EVERY year. " The fact of the matter is, that for over 3 decades there was no waiver of the timing penalty for failure to start within the prescribed time limit from the completion of the previous Corps in the show competition. The waiver of such a timing rule never took place before for early shows in June. It is a recent phenomenom in DCI that they decided to adopt this ( as a pm message from an insider just alerted me to ). That said, thank you ( and my pm'er ) for at least clarifying that under the current rules for June, no Corps is under any timing obligation at all to start their show in performance after another right before them has finished until they are dam good and ready, no matter how long it takes, and judges, fans patience be dammed with that delay.

Yes...they were assessed in July like I said?

I meant the specific date in July varies because it usually co-insides with the first major weekend after the 4th of July. I'm sorry for phrasing that poorly.

Yes...they were assessed in July like I said?

I meant the specific date in July varies because it usually co-insides with the first major weekend after the 4th of July. I'm sorry for phrasing that poorly.

No problem. I think we've all had a chance to talk about this... now its time to move on.

• Like 1