Which composers/songwriters are friendly towards Drum Corps?

David Holsinger seemed to be pleased with what the Cadets did with his music in 1992. (I can't believe we're coming up on 10 years without hearing Holsinger on the field, the Bluecoats last doing "Battle Music" for their Criminal show in 2007. A lot of untapped work that would be great for drum corps.)

I'm pretty sure I remember Holsinger attending a Spirit of Atlanta rehearsal in 2002, when they played his Easter Symphony.

Gordon Goodwin with BD?

His son is in BD this year, so between composing music specifically for BD, allowing multiple charts to be played, and now a parent of a corps member, I'd say he's into the activity.

John Mackey is also a fan.

I'm pretty sure I remember Holsinger attending a Spirit of Atlanta rehearsal in 2002, when they played his Easter Symphony.

He also went to Cadets in 93 to help them better understand the chart they were playing.

He was a HS band director, so the marching arts are not alien to him.

I've heard Chuck Mangione has always been fine with drum corps using his material.

Heh... in 1979, it seemed there was some sort of law requiring every third corps or so to play his "Children of Sanchez." LOL

• Like 2

Didn't Maynard Ferguson do commentary on a DCI telecast when they were on PBS/ESPN? I see a lot of his (and Jay Chattaway's) charts on corpsreps.