CrownBeat [July 8 2016]

My thoughts, now that I'm home (and without power due to a massive thunderstorm, I'm told.)

Legends: Enjoyed the music, but the synth sounds were super cheesy and their speakers weren't up to the task. Rest of the front ensemble was solid. I didn't get the visual significance of the rubber band squares they made and unmade, but I watched several people struggle with picking them up to move them. Speaking of struggling, I hope everyone is ok after the many collisions I saw.

Jersey Surf: a different kind of show for them, but it never pulled me in. Tempos in the beginning seem slow, and seems to plod along without ever arriving at a big payoff. The second half was a lot better, I thought.

Spirit: Wow! I want sure what to expect, but they exceeded it. Really liked their darker brass sound. I wasn't high in the stands, so there were a couple times when I lost focus on the featured dancers telling the story. Not sure if they need to adjust the staging there a bit or if I was just too close.

Bones: I'm not sure I get it. I really want to like it. But I don't. I think this is more my fault than the performers or designers. I need another live viewing to see if I can get into, I think.

BAC: The surprise of the night. I've seen them at the theatre and DCI Live and wasn't that excited. But live I absolutely LOVED this show. The performers are performing the hell out of it, and there are so many little things in the drill they're doing right. I also really love the windmills. I'd urge everyone to give this show a chance, and ignore some of the pedantic criticisms I've seen 'round these parts.

Cadets: Way better than the preview show I saw live in Ada. The changes are all solid. The volume and phrasing is awesome from the brass. But there was some phasing and articulation issues tonight, especially in the new closer. A lot of opportunity for them to excel and clean. Can't wait to see what else they change and add.

Bloo: Wow. Too much happening to watch it all at once. Totally different show in person, and though I shouldn't have been surprised after kinetic noise, the around the field audio effects really impressed me. Great soloists, great brass and percussion, and a top notch guard. I want to watch it 10 more times to see what I missed. I don't think it'll go stale by finals, as some seem to say.

Overall, on my numbers be ######, how much did I enjoy the shows for the entertainment they provided me ranking that nobody else cares about:

1. Bluecoats

2. BAC

3. Cadets

4. Spirit

5. Legends

6. Jersey Surf

7. Crossmen

Thanks for the short review. I agree with you on most everything. I enjoy both Crossmen and Boston, but have a slight feeling that Boston will eventually pull ahead. Haven't seen Spirit of Atlanta yet but I loved their new brass (Kanstul) and their new sound from last year. They don't have the same caliber players that the top 5 have, but I thought their brass sound was one of the best last year.

I'm sure the Cadets are way better live and I'm happy to hear they keep making changes while utilizing that stunning brass and percussion line of theirs. Despite some criticisms coming from myself and others about their theme and props, the show is still a mostly enjoyable show with plenty of demand and a big-time music ensemble. In the drum corps universe that's a great combination.

The Bluecoats, as you say, have a show that is filled with everything. Great brass, percussion, guard, a breath-taking visual program and general effect that should stand the test come August. Even for those that question Bloo's show this year, or perhaps for those that don't care for it (nothing wrong with that), I think you have to be impressed that this corps has now brought us "TILT," "Kinetic Noise," and this year "Downside Up." Three shows that are fresh, challenging, well performed, and super entertaining. They have definitely found their groove. A style they like, and they seem to understand how to take simple concepts and put them on the field in a sophisticated yet entertaining way. The music is super fun if you ask me, and although I could be wrong, I feel this show if cleaned can win Gold this year. I really believe it will medal either way.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

Thanks for the short review. I agree with you on most everything. I enjoy both Crossmen and Boston, but have a slight feeling that Boston will eventually pull ahead. Haven't seen Spirit of Atlanta yet but I loved their new brass (Kanstul) and their new sound from last year. They don't have the same caliber players that the top 5 have, but I thought their brass sound was one of the best last year.

I'm sure the Cadets are way better live and I'm happy to hear they keep making changes while utilizing that stunning brass and percussion line of theirs. Despite some criticisms coming from myself and others about their theme and props, the show is still a mostly enjoyable show with plenty of demand and a big-time music ensemble. In the drum corps universe that's a great combination.

The Bluecoats, as you say, have a show that is filled with everything. Great brass, percussion, guard, a breath-taking visual program and general effect that should stand the test come August. Even for those that question Bloo's show this year, or perhaps for those that don't care for it (nothing wrong with that), I think you have to be impressed that this corps has now brought us "TILT," "Kinetic Noise," and this year "Downside Up." Three shows that are fresh, challenging, well performed, and super entertaining. They have definitely found their groove. A style they like, and they seem to understand how to take simple concepts and put them on the field in a sophisticated yet entertaining way. The music is super fun if you ask me, and although I could be wrong, I feel this show if cleaned can win Gold this year. I really believe it will medal either way.

Cadets have tremendous content and will not get that credit until they clean, They had tons of performance issues last night. Working on new closer and then need to clean. Problem is they haven't scheduled all the rehearsal time Blue or Crown has had. Once they get to settle in Florida (shows are not so far apart), they should be able to start really cleaning feet. Then EFFECT and VISUAL numbers will improve. The staff guy I spoke with last night said they were "very rough" and he's one of the nice ones. Edited by Tobias

Cadets have tremendous content and will not get that credit until they clean, They had tons of performance issues last night. Working on new closer and then need to clean. Problem is they haven't scheduled all the rehearsal time Blue or Crown has had. Once they get to settle in Florida (shows are not so far apart), they should be able to start really cleaning feet. Then EFFECT and VISUAL numbers will improve. The staff guy I spoke with last night said they were "very rough" and he's one of the nice ones.

3 different posters in this thread from last night's show have criticized Cadets scheduling/practice time compared to Bloo. So I went to the schedules.

Cadets did Fourth of July parades. Bloo did Fourth of July parades on North Shore. Both did sectionals while awaiting parades.

Cadets did Tanglewood. Bloo did Tanglewood. Both did sectionals while awaiting concert. Tanglewood lawns were filled with 4 color guards doing sectionals up to last minute before concert.

So it is really only the addition of h.s. kids in MD for a small part of the day which is in the difference. Bloo had a little more sleep. No matter how many times a lie is told, it still doesn't make it the truth.

Both corps head to Lakeland.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Besides the score snafu (a leit motif if one remembers Boston CEO Chris Holland's comments at the Boston College show) kudos to the announcer last night who successfully circumvented the temptation uttered in Ft. Mill busses that Bloo's show title is "Crownside UP." All in good fun.

3 different posters in this thread from last night's show have criticized Cadets scheduling/practice time compared to Bloo. So I went to the schedules.

Cadets did Fourth of July parades. Bloo did Fourth of July parades on North Shore. Both did sectionals while awaiting parades.

Cadets did Tanglewood. Bloo did Tanglewood. Both did sectionals while awaiting concert. Tanglewood lawns were filled with 4 color guards doing sectionals up to last minute before concert.

So it is really only the addition of h.s. kids in MD for a small part of the day which is in the difference. Bloo had a little more sleep. No matter how many times a lie is told, it still doesn't make it the truth.

Both corps head to Lakeland.

And... here u go again

Cadets had a competition. They also changed all the orchestration to the last minute of closer and restaged and added drill to 2 minutes of the ballad.

And... here u go again

Cadets had a competition. They also changed all the orchestration to the last minute of closer and restaged and added drill to 2 minutes of the ballad.

Maybe I'm incorrect with scheduling BUT Cadets should be able to settle in now that they're in Florida and get some cleaning done. Apologies to Blue if I over estimated their rehearsal time and I did congrats them on their win the other night.
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm incorrect with scheduling BUT Cadets should be able to settle in now that they're in Florida and get some cleaning done. Apologies to Blue if I over estimated their rehearsal time and I did congrats them on their win the other night.

All the corps are busy, let's face it. They are all working hard and trying to better their show and insert changes.

Cadets have their guard cleaner caption head on tour with them this weekend and all next week and it's about to get real.

Overall, on my numbers be ######, how much did I enjoy the shows for the entertainment they provided me ranking that nobody else cares about:

1. Bluecoats

2. BAC

3. Cadets

4. Spirit

5. Legends

6. Jersey Surf

7. Crossmen

Can we pay your way to be on the General Effect Caption panel in Indy ? (... haha!)

And... here u go again

George, I'm not disagreeing with you at all but with the poster who claimed Cadets were being scheduled out of rehearsal times more than their competitors. You're seeming to bring a fight where you and I are in agreement.

In fact, Cadets did tremendous work with changes given the rehearsal time they had. No contest there. Simmer down.

• Like 1