What would it take?

A Friday-Sunday setup likely would not be possible given the current deal with LOS and NFL preseason games.

Oh ya! I forgot football teams use the drum corps field during the off season.

• Like 3

I disagree with expanding.

Every corps performs during the "regular season." The Championship weekend is to crown the champion and award the gold-silver-bronze medals. EVERYONE performs in preliminaries to earn a spot in the semifinals. The semifinals is where you earn your spot in the top twelve. Realistically, no one outside the top five will medal. Giving twelve the opportunity to perform is adequate.

• Like 1

You have to draw the line somewhere for the final show. If you make it 15, then there's a lot of drama for Corps #16. If you make it 10, then there's a lot of drama for Corps #11. I don't think anybody would disagree that DCI has much more compelling shows in the 13-17 group than BITD. But there's no number that will guarantee that every compelling show makes it to Saturday night.

12 corps fit on the field for an Olympic-style retreat, so I've always assumed that's why that number was originally picked.

I had always heard that it was due to 12 corps being the number that could fit on 3 vinyl record albums, two on a side. Of course, Maybe that was not true either, just one of those mythical tales that went around. It may have been just a continuation of VFW Nats, where for most of the 60's there were usually 12 at finals (with a few exceptions). The World Open seemed to bounce between 10 and 12 in the 60's through 71.

I like 12 corps in finals, it makes a nice show, it fits the media and it’s a nice tradition (<- the dirtiest word on DCP).

It’s really about revenue sharing which almost ripped DCI apart recently so is this new proposal just a feel-good measure and a longer finals night or are they looking to reassigned future payouts too?

I also disagree with the premise of the OP that there were more shows in the past few years worthy of ‘finals’ status. It shows a lack of interest, knowledge in past DCI which reminds me, most people don’t care or pay attention to 12th place shows, so why bother expanding it only to ignore more corps in finals?

I am solidly for keeping it the way it is...and always has been. "Tradition" goes both ways on this; some have argued that with 22 corps in World Class, 12 (more than half) is too many, and advocate decreasing it to 10. The counter-argument to this is usually "but it's always been done this way." For those advocating raising it to 15, that same "tradition" argument must equally hold true.

I think 12 is too many. More than half of the WC corps make finals.

Cut finals down to 10 corps.

Competitively, there's basically no reason to have more than 6 corps perform at the final show. None of the others are getting a medal and 100% of the audience & participants know it before the 12th place corps steps off.

But 12 corps makes for a good length for the season finale, and almost always showcases 12 excellent shows that represent DCI quite well. It also works well for the eventual blurays/dvds.

• Like 1

12 is good. The competition to get into finals is almost as exciting as the competition to win. More than 12 and you lose quality among the lower finalists. It's traditional as well.

I understand your point. However, given the opinions expressed previously on this thread, there does not appear to be a feeling that anything over 12 automatically leads to a decrease in quality among the lower finalists. The hand-wringing over the prospects of the corps in positions 13-15 would lead one to believe that these are still finalist-level corps -- but they are only deemed "non-finalists" due to the 12-corps ceiling.

Competitively, there's basically no reason to have more than 6 corps perform at the final show. None of the others are getting a medal and 100% of the audience & participants know it before the 12th place corps steps off.

But 12 corps makes for a good length for the season finale, and almost always showcases 12 excellent shows that represent DCI quite well. It also works well for the eventual blurays/dvds.

Going from 12 to 10 still allows for good flow (5, intermission, 5), variety of performances, and a variety of corps.

I think it would bring a level of prestige back to finals.