What would it take?

I believe in keeping the 12 if for no other reason, it's tradition.

While it is true we have fewer World Class corps than back in the day, all of the Open Class corps compete on Thursday, which is about 40, give or take, depending on the year, which is about the same number as those who competed in prelims in the late 70's/early 80's. Not all WC corps make semi's, and BDB and SCVC have come close to making finals. Keeping it at 12 still works.

Personally, I can't get enough at DCI, so seeing each corps everyday would be great, but then that eliminates the competitive aspect and that would be a huge loss.

• Like 1

Not that there's any reason to do this, but out of curiosity, what's everyone's thoughts on a losers bracket Saturday morning competition for the corps that don't make Finals. I agree with Tim K, I can't get enough and would love to see each corps every day however unnecessary it is. I know there was a parade at one point for the 13 and under corps, not sure if that's still a thing, but one final Saturday performance does have some our season is over feel to it.

If I was 21 again....I'd probably say add to the number... perhaps 15......I'm currently happy with 12....but I would not be opposed to it being 5/6 as long as a supposed elite or two is out...

I would expand to 15 to match the WGI format. In some classes they go roughly 70-32-15 or 40-25-15. I don't think it will hurt especially getting more family butts into finals seating.

While getting butt in seats are true, there would have been some years that an open class corps would've made it if expanded to 15 corps. I do not support the whole Open class shows are only 9 minutes or so. Blue Devils B had a 9 minute show and placed 15th. Not really saying they weren't that good but when the World class has 11-12 minute shows and Open class only has 9, some form of penalty should follow.

That being said, if the field actually went to 10, everyone would be a lot more inept to push even harder to earn a spot in finals. Last year, I think the Crossmen were 12th and Blue Stars were 11th? Both shows that weren't as good as the top 10. Boston placed 10th and we're ahead by more than one point against the Blue Stars. So the whole 10 corps thing might actually be good for the whole quality of finals night.

Edited by D41145

I am all for adding corps at finals since that means more corps for the $$, and much more enjoyment. However, some people consider even having 12 corps in finals kind of odd since there are only 22 corps in World Class. That means over half of the corps in WC are in finals. I agree it is tough to be 13th looking in, but then there would be that 16th place corps that was oh so close to that 15th place corps. To me personally quarterfinals/prelims on Thursday is the best day of the drum corps year. 38 of the best corps in the world, performing at their top level.

This year, even the fight to make semi's is going to be great. All the corps this year have awesome programs, and many have improved over last year from what I can tell.

As much as I would love to see more corps in finals, I think it starts to take away from the prestige of making finals if more and more corps make it, as we have lost more corps from World Class since the days when finals was established as 12 corps.

I agree the fight to make finals will be interesting. Blue Stars, Crossmen, Boston Crusaders, Academy, Troopers and Colts all have fantastic and well performed shows, but only 3 of these corps can make it. I can't wait to see who does. I have the feeling no one new from last year will get in, but I think Academy has the strongest case so far.

Fixed your post.

• Like 1

I just wish the Thursday cinecast went back to 17 corps, from the 15 shown now.

Maybe a rule could be adopted similar to how golf tournaments determine who gets to play in the final 2 rounds of the tournament. DCI equivalent would be "Top 12 and all those within X number of points of the leader".

And corps that miss the cut don't get paid. :tongue:

Ok, first I am not one of those everyone deserves a trophy or medal for participating kind of people. I believe that life is about working hard and earning what you get and accepting it when you don't. That said, at what point would the idea float that DCI finals should expand?

At the point where either:

- corps tie for 12th, or

- semifinals are not completed due to circumstances beyond DCI control

Any other methods of expanding the final contest beyond 12 corps would require a policy change. If you open this subject up for debate (again), be prepared for suggestions ranging from 4 to 40 (all).

Not that there's any reason to do this, but out of curiosity, what's everyone's thoughts on a losers bracket Saturday morning competition for the corps that don't make Finals. I agree with Tim K, I can't get enough and would love to see each corps every day however unnecessary it is. I know there was a parade at one point for the 13 and under corps, not sure if that's still a thing, but one final Saturday performance does have some our season is over feel to it.

They tried that in 1979. They called it the DCI Associates Championship. It was rather controversial in that Crossmen missed finals by .2 behind Troopers. A week earlier (at separate shows) Crossmen had been scoring about 6 points higher than Troopers. Then in the Associates Championship (using the same sheets, back in the tic system), received an 86.16, which would have garnered 7th place in finals. I think that put a quick end to the idea. Whether all the scoring across that time was legitimate or not, it certainly left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

• Like 1