As it applies to your health, only follow the advice of your personal doctor and nobody else. Do not, at all, in no circumstance, follow the advice from anybody posting online about their own experience or providing their own opinion even if they claim to be a doctor, that includes this site.

How arrogant. So you are to disregard all others' opinions for the sake of ONE individual purporting to be an expert in all things health-wise? I cared enough about 'Aspiring Tuba/Trumpet Player' to offer as much detailed advice as I deemed appropriate based on my experience and knowledge base, and you say dismiss out-of-hand? How foolish. Here are some better options:

-Eat the meat, and spit out the bones: glean the best truths from each person's counsel, and disregard what you know to be false/counterproductive.

-Gather as much information as you can

-Seek as many opinions as you can: "Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed." - Proverbs 15:22

How arrogant. So you are to disregard all others' opinions for the sake of ONE individual purporting to be an expert in all things health-wise? I cared enough about 'Aspiring Tuba/Trumpet Player' to offer as much detailed advice as I deemed appropriate based on my experience and knowledge base, and you say dismiss out-of-hand? How foolish. Here are some better options:

-Eat the meat, and spit out the bones: glean the best truths from each person's counsel, and disregard what you know to be false/counterproductive.

-Seek as many opinions as you can: "Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed." - Proverbs 15:22

It has nothing to do with arrogance, nor with me being foolish, and everything to do with liability and actually caring for the original poster. The personal physician treating the torn ACL is the one who should be giving medical advice to the original poster; not any of us here on this site. Why? Because the physician is the only one who knows the full extent of the injury and is the one who is most qualified to give out advice; and if the poster happened to follow the advice of someone here who does not actually know the full extent of the injury, and becomes debilitated for life due to following that advice, that would be a real travesty. As for your scripture quoting; you might want to check the context of Proverbs 15:22. I do not think that Luke, who was a Physician, would have interpreted that passage as, "Success in treatment for a medical issue is manifested from following medical advice provided by people that you do not know on the internet".

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

A torn ACL is not only a serious injury, it is also an injury that varies in severity and in the recovery ability of each person. To take the advice of anybody but a physician would be foolish.

I got over mine and got back to marching after a lot of rehab and careful strengthening, but everyone is different

A torn ACL is not only a serious injury, it is also an injury that varies in severity and in the recovery ability of each person. To take the advice of anybody but a physician would be foolish.

This posting by Cappybara is, by far, the best response within this thread.

This posting by Cappybara is, by far, the best response within this thread.

True. In the old days, we'd just throw some duct tape on it, and back out there. Listen to your doc.

It has nothing to do with arrogance, nor with me being foolish, and everything to do with liability and actually caring for the original poster. The personal physician treating the torn ACL is the one who should be giving medical advice to the original poster; not any of us here on this site. Why? Because the physician is the only one who knows the full extent of the injury and is the one who is most qualified to give out advice; and if the poster happened to follow the advice of someone here who does not actually know the full extent of the injury, and becomes debilitated for life due to following that advice, that would be a real travesty. As for your scripture quoting; you might want to check the context of Proverbs 15:22. I do not think that Luke, who was a Physician, would have interpreted that passage as, "Success in treatment for a medical issue is manifested from following medical advice provided by people that you do not know on the internet".

Of course Luke wouldn't interpret it that way, and neither would I. That's not a coherent application of that verse, Stu....that's a straw-man. The message is short and simple: don't rely on just one opinion, especially for important issues.

Let him judge for himself: is encouraging a strong core/base and healthy nutrition that far out of the mainstream? As a fitness enthusiast and former marcher, I feel I'm qualified to offer that.

Edited by GiveMeLibertyorGiveMeDebt

The verse was used properly and in context. What you just threw out was a straw man, Stu (well done). You don't depend on just one source for your information, whether it be news, war tactics, medicine, or even historical accounts. That's the point. After all, he ASKED, so he can judge for himself.

I gave my opinion, and you said it's worthless. I rightfully take issue with that. If you disagree with any substance of my suggestions, then by all means....opine and enlighten us! If not, then let it alone.

Show us where I called the opinions expressed in this thread by you, or anybody else for that matter, worthless? You can't! All I stated was that as it applies to medical advice about a torn ligament, or any other serious injury, the OP should only follow the advice of his own doctor just like Cappybara stated so distinctly; and that it is extremely unwise for the OP to adhere to medical advice from strangers on the internet; and yep, that includes this site. That said, if you still believe that I am engaging in a 'personal attack on your opinions' instead of looking out for the best interest of the OP, well... who is actually showing signs of arrogance in that situation?

Of course Luke wouldn't interpret it that way, and neither would I. That's not a coherent application of that verse, Stu....that's a straw-man.

So Luke would not interpret the passage as being a smart idea to take medical advice from strangers on the internet,... and neither would you? Well... who originally quoted that particular verse within a thread which is contextually and specifically applied to a medical question concerning a Torn ACL?