percussion judges in drill

Rubato (a relaxation of strict time) almost never occurs purposely in drum corps. And to be sure, it would be difficult because of the continued technical rhythmic demand of what happens on the field. We have become a slave to Dr Beat. And simply writing across the metric unit is not rubato. I contend the required rhythmic complexity in drum corps does not allow for a true relaxation of time. And as such, while we have superior "chops", sometimes it comes at the expense of musicianship.

And further, percussion writing is only now coming of age as hands are becoming developed enough to play the craziest patterns the mind can create. But, at the same time, the vast majority of the creative writing is still based on time-slicing and sub-dividing a beat (be it in 5, 7, 9, or 11) to throw the pulse off track and create interesting detail.

Not until the hands have peaked or the creativity can't crush any more notes into the meter will creativity around time "freedom" begin to develop. We're just not there yet on the marching field and, in light of the other participants dependent upon "pulse" to keep the show in phase, I'm not sure the activity will ever adopt the kind of met-freedom you're describing.

To me, at least, that doesn't mean the activity lacks musicality.

• Like 2

Look up videos for the Texas band competition called "The Lone Star Classic"

All the drum lines perform a preliminary run of the show in stand still , or some do somewhat of an indoor format. The judge can easily access all the sections. They award best snare, tenor, bass, and front ensemble sections.

This would be more like a judged "Lot" performance in dci, however, currently the lot action is more informal. It is a "show" for an audience, but not for a judged number.

It certainly would allow a judge to understand fully the lines' books, differences in technique, all the musicianship nuances etc. without trying to find the battery in the drill. I realize it takes the physical marching demand out of the equation, but some form of this format just might be a tolerable compromise.

Visual, GE, Ensemble, adjudication is done during the field show, field/execution during the preliminary.

Just a possibility for consideration.

Of course I have technical challenges and can't seem to post a link for an example....

i.e compulsory requirements.

Also, you can't so easily remove movement from the equation because, as can be seen even in lot videos, being able to chop standing still is not the same as doing it while moving.

Again, not until there is some form of compulsory arranging and/or drill design (down front) will DCI be able to get the field judge out of the drill. Do we really want to go back to compulsories? What's next, uniform inspection prior to step off? :tounge2:

• Like 3

Usually, Rubato shows up in ballads where the battery is silent and front ensemble mallets are performing more akin to a concert section. Seems to me that the challenge for DCI percussion writing is to construct a balanced book that can check the technical achievement boxes while fitting with the brass arrangements. When Colin McNutt teaches his guys to perform as world class athletes below the waist and as world class musicians above the waist, I don't read that as max chops 'because we can.' Of course, acoustically poor arenas defeat (to an extent) the ability of anyone to discern and enjoy the technically subtle super chops on display at the sharp end of the DCI percussion spear.

Brilliant, and absolutely correct, IMO.

Garfield: "Do we really want to go back to compulsories?"

I don't know. As a drummer I enjoyed playing cool stuff, and great licks. If the judge never sees you do it, and you don't get credit, what's the point? We'll play 8s.

Man, I hate 8s. I know it works on technique, but it is just pounding and pounding, like hammering nails into a 2 x 4. We know how musical that is. A drum, after all, even a marching drum, is a musical instrument.

I digress...

If they are not going to allow a percussion field judge, there has to be a way to award the "treats". That's all I'm saying.

it just illustrates the point a little more dramatically. with perc judges in the box until halfway though the season, the never get enough reads to "learn" the drill.

just not worth the risk.

Do you have stats on how many percussion judge collisions there have been in the 50+ years of DCI?

Do you have stats on how many percussion judge collisions there have been in the 50+ years of DCI?

No but I can think of times when judges prevented injuries.

AK with the Crown snare two years ago. No him, people go down on that drum.

The Crown horn player in 2010. The first person to react and get to him was the drum judge.

Any drum judge that's ever picked up a mallet, a shoe, a hat, a Scoop, you name it, and got it off the field out of the performers way

They've prevented more than they have caused

• Like 9

To me, at least, that doesn't mean the activity lacks musicality.

Not what I said. I said "while we have superior "chops", sometimes it comes at the expense of musicianship." I view a competent musician as having a library of skills. No one can say the performers in a drum corps do not have technical virtuosity (I know, redundant), but I question the development of other musical skills. That being said, I do think looking at the broad arc of drum corp, it is getting more musical. At least we get to select music with a variety of tempos and we are do display varieties of dynamics. It's just the timing issue, because of the physical and acoustical requirements, inhibit the development of music skills in this area.

No but I can think of times when judges prevented injuries.

AK with the Crown snare two years ago. No him, people go down on that drum.

The Crown horn player in 2010. The first person to react and get to him was the drum judge.

Any drum judge that's ever picked up a mallet, a shoe, a hat, a Scoop, you name it, and got it off the field out of the performers way

They've prevented more than they have caused

This is a brilliant post.

I'm not a percussionist at all, but I seriously don't understand the arguments that the guard and brass people make on this topic, especially given how little knowledge they have about percussion.

To compare brass judging and percussion judging as apples to apples is disingenuous. It's completely different, and as many people have pointed out, the benefits seem to far outweigh the risks.