Staff merri-go-round

Hey G, Yeah I brought it up this time but I knew we'd hear from Brasso. I brought it up only to learn if there is specific language in an MM or staff contract that prohibits being recruited and moving from one corps to another during the season or at any particular time after a contract has been signed. I have no idea what exactly is the language in a contract or how truly binding one is. I'd love to read one. Really. It can't be any more boring than leases I read all the time. LOL

As far as I know, so long as a marcher has fulfilled his financial obligations to his previous Corps, another Corps could theoretically take in a marcher from another Corps for that Corps Finals Night participation, and there is nothing to prevent that Corps from using them on Finals Night vs. the other competitors. The fact that this is not very practical, nor likely, does not mean that a Corps could not do so. They can..... and have done so. The little girl dancer soloist that BD utilized in their Finals week last season, that helped BD win DCI with her inclusion, came from another Corps, and at the last minute. DCI has no transfer policies in place, so BD utilized the system that is currently in place to benefit themselves at Championships last season. Good for BD for knowing the rules ( or lake thereof) and using it to their competitive advantage as such.

Edited by BRASSO

I see. Definitely wasn't happening my three years with Madison.

I had to sign a contract for every corps I marched, and this was back in the '70s.

In fact, along with several others, I had to go through the appeal process with the GLDCA to move from the Iron Brigade to St. Claire Shores Vanguards in1975. Ultimately we all were released after Iron Brigade became a parade corps.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

Just a side note...I don't think contracts with minors are valid...I could be wrong..no legal expert here...but if they are not at least 18...not sure how it could even be enforced...a non issue for top tier corps as that is a destination and the average age is 19+ perhaps...

My parents had to sign also when I was under 18. As someone said above, it wasn't really a contract to not go anywhere else. It was the liability, commitment to pay the dues, and photo licensing etc. I'm not sure exactly what clauses are in them (I probably didn't read at the time either), but at the corps I marched and the one I taught, we had people sign contracts in December and quit and at times march somewhere else as late as May or June.

I just read the contract my son signed.

11. I understand that I cannot transfer to/from another Drum & Bugle Corps after March 1, without written authorization from the Corps Director or CEO.
All dues are to be paid before move ins, I believe. Also there are no refunds after May 1st. Also, parents have to sign if member is under 18.
  • Like 1

Some insiders with the Troopers have confirmed that Tim Snyder did NOT resign due to the LOS incident. A news report from Indy also confirmed that the security guard in question is "no longer with the company."

• Like 2

11. I understand that I cannot transfer to/from another Drum & Bugle Corps after March 1, without written authorization from the Corps Director or CEO.
All dues are to be paid before move ins, I believe. Also there are no refunds after May 1st. Also, parents have to sign if member is under 18.

That makes sense. I do recall there being no refunds and watching people leave from move-ins and thinking "man, what a waste!" after I worked so hard to come up with the money each year.

Something else I was thinking about: when an alternate for one corps finds out there's a hole in another comparable corps and want to leave, are there refunds for this? I've seen it happen a few times especially with younger members. We got a 14 year old alternate one year after she was basically told there was no way she was getting into their show. I guess the directors and the member work something out?

. I brought it up only to learn if there is specific language in an MM or staff contract that prohibits being recruited and moving from one corps to another during the season or at any particular time after a contract has been signed.

Not for marchers there isn't any restrictions at the moment in DCI.

As for employment contracts, it all depends on the STATE in which the employee resides. Non compete employment contracts signed between employers and employees are oftentimes ruled as invalid contracts according to some state Courts.

Edited by BRASSO

Some insiders with the Troopers have confirmed that Tim Snyder did NOT resign due to the LOS incident. A news report from Indy also confirmed that the security guard in question is "no longer with the company."

Not doubting what you are saying...but honestly what "other" reason could it be?...Obviously he resigned of his OWN accord...I think you are trying to say he was not forced to resign by the troopers administration perhaps?

Not doubting what you are saying...but honestly what "other" reason could it be?...Obviously he resigned of his OWN accord...I think you are trying to say he was not forced to resign by the troopers administration perhaps?

He alluded to new opportunities that soon would be revealed in his Facebook post.

• Like 2

Depending upon what state YOU live in, if you ever had to challenge that contract, there is the very strong likihood that that contract restriction on your Son would be deemed unenforceable. They can make you have to pay monies do, but nothing more. Some states uphold these non compete contracts as iron clad.. other states... not so much, upon legal challenge of dozens of considered approaches to make the contract null and void, and quite easily too, upon legal challenge. ( might cost you legal fees however that might not make it practical )

Edited by BRASSO