Cadets 2017

23 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Why are the worst offending amplifiers the corps with the biggest and strongest brass lines?! Makes zero sense to me.

Looking for an edge, keeping up with the competition, and believing they will garner some more points maybe.

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

just took a couple minutes to listen to Hopkins' latest FB live video update

a few thoughts:

1. it's apparent the corps is working hard and "running back to sets" during the rehearsal (behind him in view) - it's the "Cadets" way

2. Hopkins talked a lot about cranking up the speakers and (I assume) the vocal mix as the balance SOME judges want "does not work" and "isn't what they intended" - so I guess tonight on the live stream we should expect a bigger mix of the choir and the FE. You could detect some frustration in the judging and feedback they've received - essentially it sounds like dependent on the caption or the individual judge perspective they are being told non-stop "this part is too loud" "this part I can't hear" "I can't hear the keyboards" "I can't hear the vocals" "I can't hear the snares" etc.. often at the same time by different judges the same moment saying vocals too loud or vocals too low. So I guess they will go with their "vision" on how it should sound. It will be interesting to see how that plays tonight

Nothing, nothing new here for Cadets or any corps serious about being in Finals.

Even BITD with Earl Joyce and Hank Grana running the field for M&M ticks, Rodney Goodhart and Frank Grana in front of the battery, or Dr. Bernie Baggs and his son Rusty Baggs listening to the horns, corps trim their show and give special emphasis in practice sessions to what specific judges desire or will be seeking. Always was and always has been. The closer one gets to Finals week, whether Oliviero, Torchia and Chumley today or Moses and Joshua in the desert shows, corps play not just to the sheets but to the likes of the green shirts and their particularities. Today it is a bit easier when you can record, computerize, and play back which judge likes what. In the case of opposing views going two different directions, it is a game of playing the sheet numbers and which captions and subcaptions need bolstering or are pretty secure.  I think the old man (not to disparage a term used in endearment for Don Warren) is just tired of it all and the electronics/echoes/domes isn't merely a matter of working on files and flams. Even past masters who were both admin and instructors, Royer and Jones for instance, knew this.

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Nothing, nothing new here for Cadets or any corps serious about being in Finals.

Even BITD with Earl Joyce and Hank Grana running the field for M&M ticks, Rodney Goodhart and Frank Grana in front of the battery, or Dr. Bernie Baggs and his son Rusty Baggs listening to the horns, corps trim their show and give special emphasis in practice sessions to what specific judges desire or will be seeking. Always was and always has been. The closer one gets to Finals week, whether Oliviero, Torchia and Chumley today or Moses and Joshua in the desert shows, corps play not just to the sheets but to the likes of the green shirts and their particularities. Today it is a bit easier when you can record, computerize, and play back which judge likes what. In the case of opposing views going two different directions, it is a game of playing the sheet numbers and which captions and subcaptions need bolstering or are pretty secure.  I think the old man (not to disparage a term used in endearment for Don Warren) is just tired of it all and the electronics/echoes/domes isn't merely a matter of working on files and flams. Even past masters who were both admin and instructors, Royer and Jones for instance, knew this.

Saw the vid...seems to me he's saying, ok heard enough, we are gonna do what we are gonna do. As long as the members are learning and growing, scores are irrelevant. Do you like the show? Great! No? That's ok too. It's all good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

Saw the vid...seems to me he's saying, ok heard enough, we are gonna do what we are gonna do. As long as the members are learning and growing, scores are irrelevant. Do you like the show? Great! No? That's ok too. It's all good. 

Yup that's the nut

1 hour ago, JKT90 said:

And this is drum corps for 99.99% of every corps every year. This is what it's about. Imo.

Cadets worked on the beginning and end of the show today - according to Hop FB - cleaned up some stuff. Worked on the electronic issue they had last night

Corps went for a "walk" this morning and talked about last night and where they were in the season. Hop said he hoped it got folks on the same page

I hope they are fired up and have a great show tonight!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Cadets worked on the beginning and end of the show today - according to Hop FB - cleaned up some stuff. Worked on the electronic issue they had last night

Corps went for a "walk" this morning and talked about last night and where they were in the season. Hop said he hoped it got folks on the same page

I hope they are fired up and have a great show tonight!

I do, too.  Sincerely.