Cadets 2017

16 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Nothing about 2017. Hop was talking about his history in the Crossmen and how he ended up at the Cadets. Then described the journey of taking the Cadets from a rough start in 1980 early season to finishing 10th that year (their best DCI placement up until then).

A buddy who marched with me in DCA's Sunrisers 1981-82 was with Cadets through the 1970s, aging out in 1980. He was one of the crew that drove to pick up the new recruits from down South (Mississippi, I think?)... he said that influx of members literally saved the Cadets. The corps was on the ropes big-time that offseason until then. 

Quite a comeback story that season... and the rest, as the saying goes, is history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

A buddy who marched with me in DCA's Sunrisers 1981-82 was with Cadets through the 1970s, aging out in 1980. He was one of the crew that drove to pick up the new recruits from down South (Mississippi, I think?)... he said that influx of members literally saved the Cadets. The corps was on the ropes big-time that offseason until then. 

Quite a comeback story that season... and the rest, as the saying goes, is history.

Amazing. To think, without them, I probably would never have marched Cadets. They deserve my everlasting gratitude.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Yes. George Hopkins is certainly a controversial figure in DCI, but to his credit, he made an important and timely outreach to the Univ. of Mississippi at a critical time in the Cadets history when they were literally on the ropes, and not sure if they'd be able to continue on. Membership in his Corps was at unprecedented low numbers, but his personal visit down to the Univ. of Mississippi resulted in his securing about a dozen of more marchers from this University's MB to come to the Cadets and march in their Corps. That was definitely one of GH's shining moments, and he deserves all the credit in the world for proactively acting in an efficient manner to save the Cadets from possibly going under in the 1980-1981 time frame. 3 years later ( 1984) the Cadets won themselves a DCI Title.... and as you said, Fran, the rest is history.

26 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Yes. George Hopkins is certainly a controversial figure in DCI, but to his credit, he made an important and timely outreach to the Univ. of Mississippi at a critical time in the Cadets history when they were literally on the ropes, and not sure if they'd be able to continue on. Membership in his Corps was at unprecedented low numbers, but his personal visit down to the Univ. of Mississippi resulted in his securing about a dozen of more marchers from this University's MB to come to the Cadets and march in their Corps. That was definitely one of GH's shining moments, and he deserves all the credit in the world for proactively acting in an efficient manner to save the Cadets from possibly going under in the 1980-1981 time frame. 3 years later ( 1984) the Cadets won themselves a DCI Title.... and as you said, Fran, the rest is history.

I believe it was 83 that they begun their zingali run winning streak

Quick question. When was the last time Cadets marched euphoniums?

Edited by Brass34

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

5 hours ago, Mikey408 said:

It was 1983.

5 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Quick question. When was the last time Cadets marched euphoniums? if ever

I think it may have been 2011 but I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, Mikey408 said:

It was the off season of '79 when George Hopkins( and Jim Paradise) went to the Univ. of Mississippi to secure over 2 dozen marchers from their MB to come and march the Garfield ( NJ ) Cadets for the 1980 season ( and a few seasons afterwards for those age eligible )

http://yea.convio.net/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=20660

Edited by BRASSO

13 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

We literally had about 18 brass players going to rehearsal in the winter (which was every weekend at that time). When the southern crew came up, we finally had a corps and we're learning drill and music when other corps were competing. Lots of life lessons learned on determination, drive and believing the unbelievable. 

Somebody here mentioned Zingali. George Zingali was a former marcher in the 27th Lancers ( Ma.) that 27th Corps Director George Bonfiglio gave a chance to write the Visuals for the 27th Lancers when still in his 20's. Zingali did a fantastic job, helped 27th rise up the ranks and in 1980, 27th finished 2nd, a mere 3 tenths in back of the Blue Devils who won it in 1980. Zingali then went to the Cadets and this was a huge coup for the Cadets, as Zingali worked his genius there, and Cadets rose up the ranks quickly, resulting in a DCI Title. So this transfer move of Zingali from 27th to Cadets was a huge staffer " get " for the Cadets. ( Zingali later would leave Cadets for an up and coming Star of Indiana Corps, and replicate the success there for them as well. )

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

We literally had about 18 brass players going to rehearsal in the winter (which was every weekend at that time). When the southern crew came up, we finally had a corps and we're learning drill and music when other corps were competing. Lots of life lessons learned on determination, drive and believing the unbelievable. 

I remember seeing you guys at a show in Clifton, NJ, around the July 4th weekend.  Cadets were something like 20 points behind the top corps there... 27th Lancers and Madison Scouts, I think.

But there was something about the Cadets' show... and we had heard about the offseason troubles, so we knew why you all were off to a slow start...  the show had that "man, if they really clean this up, look out" feel to it.  I was a Cadets fan back then, and I was really glad to see you guys in Finals on the TV broadcast. All that work paid off!