BD-when was the last time...

Didn't BD win visual and guard Saturday night?

The announced caption awards are based on all three nights, Thursday-Saturday.

But we're the awards based on Saturday night only?

Nope.

Average of all 3 nights equals the winner of said award.

So no, the Devils in Blue did not win a single caption award this year.

First time since 2005, but deservedly so.

Just proves the strength of their programs. Same with the Bluecoats. They only won GE and still won the whole thing. But they were consistent and I said last year can a corp win DCI without winning a caption outright. I think it will happen one day if a corp is consistent at all levels.

Edited by afd

The fact that Devils didn't win a caption, and put out a virtually flawless show, tells you how competitive this activity has gotten...largely because of the bar BD has set.

Some of the shows that finished in the bottom half of finals, and even one or two out of Finals, would have challenged for a medal just a few years ago. And what's cool is the diversity of the programming. Can't ever remember a more diverse collection of shows in Finals.

• Like 1

Just proves the strength of their programs. Same with the Bluecoats. They only won GE and still won the whole thing. But they were consistent and I said last year can a corp win DCI without winning a caption outright. I think it will happen one day if a corp is consistent at all levels.

And I think this is a good thing to reinforce. I don't like the so-called million dollar foul shot.

So would we want to consider the championship being three days of weighted scores, like captions? I love the drama and intensity of finals night, but I also want to make sure the best show wins the Gold.

And I think this is a good thing to reinforce. I don't like the so-called million dollar foul shot.

So would we want to consider the championship being three days of weighted scores, like captions? I love the drama and intensity of finals night, but I also want to make sure the best show wins the Gold.

I kinda mentioned that idea a few years ago...averaging the three days of prelims, semis and finals like captions for your DCI winner and most didn't want that. I understand. Captions are one thing but a final performance that wins it all is what most want. I have no objections about that at all.

was it flawless? I heard several issues in the trumpets (which has been commented about on other threads, outside of DCP as well as within), there were intonation troubles toward the end as well.. The guard had a few issues. I love the Devils, but Saturday was their "rough night" and it happens to all.. as I heard the intonation problems, and timing quirks in the high brass, all I could think was "what the hell Devils? you never falter on finals night!"

The fact that Devils didn't win a caption, and put out a virtually flawless show, tells you how competitive this activity has gotten...largely because of the bar BD has set.

Some of the shows that finished in the bottom half of finals, and even one or two out of Finals, would have challenged for a medal just a few years ago. And what's cool is the diversity of the programming. Can't ever remember a more diverse collection of shows in Finals.

• Like 1