2017 Programs & Playlist:

43 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

Last year I waited far too long before committing to attend Championships. By the time I pulled the trigger in June, the only seat available between the 35s was literally the very last row at the top of the stadium. So that's where I was stuck.

This year, it looks like I won't be going. I haven't bought tickets yet, and yes, a part of that is the lack of show announcements. I've never NOT enjoyed a trip to Finals, so that's not the concern. But the show announcements stoke excitement, they give the fans that surge of "Oh my god, I *HAVE* to see that" that helps them commit early and plan for the event. Because we have to be realistic here: between travel, tickets, lodging, food, and souvenirs, attending DCI Championships is a sizable expense that many people can't just pay for all of at a moment's notice. I'm part of a DINK marriage (Dual Income/No Kids) and live close enough to drive to Indianapolis, but I still have to budget for the expenses of a trip to DCI. So, instead of getting several hundred dollars from me, DCI will be getting $15 or so for Big, Loud, Live.

I simply don't see any scenario in which the positives/concerns of holding back on show details/announcements outweighs the deleterious effect of not releasing the info to the fans as soon as possible.

So my question is, why do you need announcements to decide if you're attending championships. Show announcements hold no bearing on whether a show will actually be good or not, so why is that a factor in your decision?

I understand your situation, being a dual income family with 2 young kids, but there's not a single show announcement, including from the corps that I marched, that will make me decide whether or not to attend the show.

Just as I chose to go to finals last year, instead of selling my tickets when Madison did not make finals. I wasn't happy, but I wanted to experience the show night, even if my favorite corps was not performing.

Seems odd that show announcements would be an odd reason to not go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

I simply don't see any scenario in which the positives/concerns of holding back on show details/announcements outweighs the deleterious effect of not releasing the info to the fans as soon as possible.

If it's due to licensing concerns, as others have suggested, then I do see the scenario. Once a corps has announced they're performing a given work, that gives leverage to the license holder, who knows that it will be more difficult for the corps to walk away from negotiations.

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

Last year I waited far too long before committing to attend Championships. By the time I pulled the trigger in June, the only seat available between the 35s was literally the very last row at the top of the stadium. So that's where I was stuck.

This year, it looks like I won't be going. I haven't bought tickets yet, and yes, a part of that is the lack of show announcements. I've never NOT enjoyed a trip to Finals, so that's not the concern. But the show announcements stoke excitement, they give the fans that surge of "Oh my god, I *HAVE* to see that" that helps them commit early and plan for the event. Because we have to be realistic here: between travel, tickets, lodging, food, and souvenirs, attending DCI Championships is a sizable expense that many people can't just pay for all of at a moment's notice. I'm part of a DINK marriage (Dual Income/No Kids) and live close enough to drive to Indianapolis, but I still have to budget for the expenses of a trip to DCI. So, instead of getting several hundred dollars from me, DCI will be getting $15 or so for Big, Loud, Live.

You can ALWAYS find seats as a walk-up -- at the box office or scalped (and lots of drum corps folks "scalp" for face value).

5 minutes ago, corpsband said:

You can ALWAYS find seats as a walk-up -- at the box office or scalped (and lots of drum corps folks "scalp" for face value).

I also found great tickets in June in the PR block of tickets, 3, on the 40, row 20.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

So my question is, why do you need announcements to decide if you're attending championships. Show announcements hold no bearing on whether a show will actually be good or not, so why is that a factor in your decision?

Why do you need to know what is playing before deciding to go to the movies? The trailers and reviews hold no bearing on whether a movie is actually good or not, so why process any of that information before selecting your show? Just make plans to go to the movies, then dartboard it and choose your movie at random.

Chances are, you only go to movies that sound interesting to you. They might be great, they might be garbage, but something has to pique your interest to get your butt in the seat.

Show announcements are like movie trailers to me. For me, it is the difference between JUST attending a local show or two and the cinema event... and dropping several hundred more dollars to see the final product in person.

• Like 1

Just now, hostrauser said:

Why do you need to know what is playing before deciding to go to the movies? The trailers and reviews hold no bearing on whether a movie is actually good or not, so why process any of that information before selecting your show? Just make plans to go to the movies, then dartboard it and choose your movie at random.

Chances are, you only go to movies that sound interesting to you. They might be great, they might be garbage, but something has to pique your interest to get your butt in the seat.

Show announcements are like movie trailers to me. For me, it is the difference between JUST attending a local show or two and the cinema event... and dropping several hundred more dollars to see the final product in person.

I see your point, at the same time, movies and drum corps are very different. Also, a DCI show announcement is not usually as giving of information as a movie trailer or wikipedia page that gives MUCH more detail.

To each their own, but I just find it an odd reason.

12 minutes ago, corpsband said:

I don't want to watch a show from the 15s, nor roll the dice and take my chances with scalping. You're a braver man than I if you're willing to go that route.

7 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

I don't want to watch a show from the 15s, nor roll the dice and take my chances with scalping. You're a braver man than I if you're willing to go that route.

I've bought tickets as late as the day of finals from DCI, and scalping, and have never sat outside the 30's at finals.