Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I keep going back to the YouTube video...

BD's sops are on a different level this year (or should I say different stratosphere). I'm blown every single time I hear what they're being asked to do

Bloo's show is good, but I will stand by my statement that every aspect of this show will be one of the all time greats come August.  This might be crazy but a new score record/perfect brass score both seem achieveable.  Cant wait to see how this show develops. 

I would agree about BD's sopranos.  They have had GREAT ones in the past.  The ones this year are doing serious work.  Generally double g's are the highest you'll hear during an ensemble passage with the standard "high mom".  This year though, I believe Ive heard trumpets doing the double c above double g, which is absolute insanity.  Double c's are notes generally only played by professionals.  I dont know how they do it.  Im happy to get 5 double g's in a day, theyre averaging about 10 in 1 run...crazy.

• Like 4

I've spent the last half hour watching that YouTube of the Blue Devils and this is a trip back to the awesome 1980s in every good way possible.  This might be among the best Blue Devils' programs EVER.  The lead trumpets have that "retro" sound the best players had thirty years ago:  The "edge" or "burn" or "sizzle" or whatever you want the to call it.

The brass arrangements are beyond compare; nobody voices an ensemble like the Blue Devils!

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Bloo's show is good, but I will stand by my statement that every aspect of this show will be one of the all time greats come August.  This might be crazy but a new score record/perfect brass score both seem achieveable.  Cant wait to see how this show develops. 

I would agree about BD's sopranos.  They have had GREAT ones in the past.  The ones this year are doing serious work.  Generally double g's are the highest you'll hear during an ensemble passage with the standard "high mom".  This year though, I believe Ive heard trumpets doing the double c above double g, which is absolute insanity.  Double c's are notes generally only played by professionals.  I dont know how they do it.  Im happy to get 5 double g's in a day, theyre averaging about 10 in 1 run...crazy.

It's not a big distance from Double G to Double C -- and with the right technique it can be done.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

It's not a big distance from Double G to Double C -- and with the right technique it can be done.  

True more air, better arch.  Still though, the amount theyre hitting them, is absolutely crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

True more air, better arch.  Still though, the amount theyre hitting them, is absolutely crazy.

Faster air, not more.  Low notes take lots of slow air.  High notes take less air but the air they take moves faster.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BoaDci said:

He is addressing a Facebook group that is much worse than here.  His post is warranted, and I think you guys better stop treating his post like it was directed at you, otherwise you will continue make the reputation of this forum go down the drain.

Edit: Most of this forum isnt bad, its the small set of posters that like to belittle, over dramatize, and destroy every little move that comes out of drum corps.

In my opinion, he should have remained silent.

Someone probably noticed this already but the opening drum cadence is from "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor" which the Blue Devils played in 1976 and 1978.

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

In my opinion, he should have remained silent.

Yeah thats fair, but I understand why he might have posted it.  Either way it doesnt change my opinion.

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I keep going back to the YouTube video...

BD's sops are on a different level this year (or should I say different stratosphere). I'm blown every single time I hear what they're being asked to do

What else is new? Haha

• Like 1