Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

Newbie here.

Overall with BD's show this year I connect with it from the ballad to the closer. For me the opener just seems a bit sparse as far as hearing them play and transitions seem a bit long. I just want to hear them play. 

They have some west coast screamers as usual and when it gets there it's great,maybe it was supposed to be a build up like that ??  

I also wonder about all the synth, the bass in particular. You have basses on the field,good ones and I want to hear them. I know this is subjective maybe just not my personal cup of tea. Thoughts ?

On 6/24/2017 at 6:43 PM, RPK said:

Now is the time, as comes with every activity, for the old to step aside and let the new generation grow this activity. 

so fire all of BD's current staff?

This old / young thing is stupid because it’s the same old people designing the shows and pushing trends for the past 30 years. What gets me is old people telling other old people what they think young people want but only after planting it into young peoples’ head and only if they can make money of it. Young people are so easily played and they don’t even know it. Young people are following around a bunch of old dudes with skullets, 90s primal tattoos and beer bellies  who are feasting off the youth while fronting Rihanna as them being cool and in touch with the youth. Here’s a clue to your pied pipers, when I was young and cool, I would have never listened to Rihanna of the day. Face it kids, you’re a meal ticket for them and just a show for me, just because you’re in the show doesn’t mean it’s about you. You are an alternate and completely disposable by age 22. The kids that were calling me old back when I signed DCP or now over 30 and put out to pasture and their staffs are mostly the same. “Ever get the feeling you've been cheated good night.”

12 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Here’s a clue to your pied pipers, when I was young and cool, I would have never listened to Rihanna of the day. 

What exactly is your point with this?

• Like 2

Ok, so back to the actual show...:sigh:

I watched the show 10+ times now.  Its ridiculous and overkill I know, but I want to analyze this show up and down and all around.  The music of the show revs me up every time, the visual just doesnt.  I know we've talked about this and beat it to death, but this show is going to build like crazy.  I see multiple portions where I see marching at tempos that dont make sense.  Half time in the contras during Bumblebee when realistically they could be jazz running.  Sections parked while they arent playing, stuff like that.   Its kinda dumb right now, but I think thats how they designed it for early season.  Transitions are clearly an issue, but once again they will improve that.  The transition that bothers me the most,  is the one from opener to ballad.  Lacks clarity and is frankly, underdesigned.  I keep seeing posts that say the opener is lackluster and doesnt "captivate" them.  I disagree.  Im on the edge of my seat the entire time.  What they did with Triumph of Time is freaking cool, I think they did it better than SCV.  The chords are well written and the solo double g in the trumpet over the entire ensemble is really impressive.  Another argument is that FOTB isnt tasteful and hasnt been done properly.  I disagree again, I will agree FOTB is an extemely overplayed piece, but BD has arranged it beautifully and in my opinion it is the only tasteful way to do FOTB.  It grabs your attention with the variant theyve put on it.  The trumpet solo at the beginning has a nice feel and is different from the original.  The passing of from section to section is designed to keep your attention and I think it works well.  Then out of nowhere comes the loud double tongue feature in the trumpets which to the texture even more.  I dont understand what the peoples argument is.  They are  playing an extremely difficult piece theyve added texture to, and it makes for a great opener.  

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, cowtown said:

so fire all of BD's current staff?

This old / young thing is stupid because it’s the same old people designing the shows and pushing trends for the past 30 years. What gets me is old people telling other old people what they think young people want but only after planting it into young peoples’ head and only if they can make money of it. Young people are so easily played and they don’t even know it. Young people are following around a bunch of old dudes with skullets, 90s primal tattoos and beer bellies  who are feasting off the youth while fronting Rihanna as them being cool and in touch with the youth. Here’s a clue to your pied pipers, when I was young and cool, I would have never listened to Rihanna of the day. Face it kids, you’re a meal ticket for them and just a show for me, just because you’re in the show doesn’t mean it’s about you. You are an alternate and completely disposable by age 22. The kids that were calling me old back when I signed DCP or now over 30 and put out to pasture and their staffs are mostly the same. “Ever get the feeling you've been cheated good night.”

I would say that would be a bad idea. Cause there are a few who have been at this for a long time and it does not geaux stale. Just take a look at this from 30 years ago. 

Just now, Kamarag said:

Sure it is. You should actually check out what high school and college kids listen to. It's a much wider variety of music than you'd think, and pop is a part of that.

Thanks for proving my point

I like some pop but I'm not cool, I'm old, what about you?