British corps to attend 2017 DCI Championship

You do realise that Jubal, Beatrix and all the Asian corps that have come to DCI before have also had members over 22? I don't recall such an outcry!

I can't believe the vitriol against this British corps- in days of drum corps decline. Surely as Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL, we should be encouraging and celebrating any INTERNATIONAL corps that chooses DCI as a place to perform!!!

Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes! Then fire low!

• Like 3

You do realise that Jubal, Beatrix and all the Asian corps that have come to DCI before have also had members over 22? I don't recall such an outcry!

I can't believe the vitriol against this British corps- in days of drum corps decline. Surely as Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL, we should be encouraging and celebrating any INTERNATIONAL corps that chooses DCI as a place to perform!!!

Yup. And not just Open class. They were allowed to compete in World Prelims. There were if I remember 3 or 4 "international" corps that competed in 2015 both in Open class and World Class.

• Like 1

Simple. Change the ruling. This is not the Ten Commandments. You can add something to the effect that International Corps can compete at Drum Corp INTERNATIONAL even with over age members.

I really don't get it. Like you and history says, this hardly the first time this has happened. There is an international class for this instance where they still compete and get judged the same way, just in a class that accommodates them. As someone who is looking into going to championships next year, I'm pretty surprised at the response. I'm incredibly excited at the opportunity to see one of DCEs best next year.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

The very essence of "international competition" is to compete beyond one's own circuit or nation by deferring to the common "international" rules.

Several people have it backwards...

In actuality, the word "International" is the reason FOR DCI to enforce its rules...it's the only way it can hold a 'real' international competition.

The time for DCI to remove the word "International" is the moment it won't.

*NOT enforcing its rules is what will make DCI a "North American" circuit with international visitors at its contests.

The very essence of "international competition" is to compete beyond one's own circuit or nation by deferring to the common "international" rules.

Several people have it backwards...

In actuality, the word "International" is the reason FOR DCI to enforce its rules...it's the only way it can hold a 'real' international competition.

The time for DCI to remove the word "International" is the moment it won't.

*NOT enforcing its rules is what will make DCI a "North American" circuit with international visitors at its contests.

DCI's rules for international corps is quite clear. There aren't age and instrumentation limitations as imposed on World and Open class corps. DCI enforces these rules. Your point is moot.

Now, any corps that can satisfy the more stringent conditions of Open or World class can compete directly in those classes. There's nothing stopping any international corps from doing that. But finding the finances and membership to do that? I think that's a pretty tall order for every international group.

The failure of people in this thread to read and understand the history of international corps in DCI really is just a reflection of society as a whole right now.

Lol. IMO "we did it before" has got to be just about the worst reason to repeat a mistake.

Just as for Beatrix and Jubal, etc., DCI International Class is a great place for international corps who otherwise fail to meet the requirements of other DCI classes.

Keeping its rules is what makes DCI "international".

Suspending its rules is what makes DCI regional (despite the "I").

I really don't get it. Like you and history says, this hardly the first time this has happened. There is an international class for this instance where they still compete and get judged the same way, just in a class that accommodates them. As someone who is looking into going to championships next year, I'm pretty surprised at the response. I'm incredibly excited at the opportunity to see one of DCEs best next year.

That an all-age corps is expecting to compete in DCI World class is the only concern I'm expressing.