DCI's own gets a mention on NBC News

Well, the concern is that the person elected to that position used some pretty divisive, racial, and misogynistic rhetoric to obtain that position. These are not qualities associated with school bands, or drum corps. There are endless numbers of marching members who are of those races and sexes that many of the president elect, and his supporters have spoken out against. Marching in a parade that celebrates that person (no, its not about an office, but the idea of welcoming the person into that office) could be misconstrued as supporting the same rhetoric and hate speech that was used during his campaign.

Ya' know, you really should edit this out because, under DCP rules, I can't say "BS, your statement is too broad and characterizes a whole group of people as have used divisive, racial, and misogyinistic rhetoric who never have" so, if I can't say that, you can't either.

Or, to get redress of any kind these days, do I have to demand Safe-Space status for DCP because your claim of "...endless numbers..." (of what, undocumented citizens?) is a trigger phrase? I shouldn't have to be marginalized because I voted for our next president.

Really, I should stop. This would be way too much fun, but I'll be surprised if the mods don't chop this discussion off with your comment.

Edited by garfield

In my opinion, this goes beyond the usual "political" differences. See C.Holland's post.

My HS band played at a GOP rally back in 2002 (post 9/11 ... pre second Iraq Invasion). President Bush made an appearance and spoke for a bit. Nothing memorable said, outside of what I already saw on the news. I didn't agree with his platform then -- and still don't now -- but it was still cool to play for a President ... especially one who, despite many disagreements with his administrations actions/policies, kept the rhetoric relatively civil and made sure not to marginalize a group of people with his words.

At the end of the day, Bush never really said anything that truly countered the mission of our band/instructors/boosters. Also, the band got some $$$ for travel/etc, so that was a plus.

Today, however, if I was a director who was offered a gig (an unpaid one) to perform for a person who represents the inverse of what I'm about as a teacher ... I would likely say "no" to the performance as well. Has little to do with actual politics.

I'm tellin' ya', you'd better edit this down. (Your last sentence in a glaring contradiction. If your band was offered, you'd deprive a significant experience from your kids? Because of YOUR politics? Seriously?)

I'm feeling triggered all over the place!

All these false assertions and, if I play by the rules, I'm not allowed to respond! I'M FEELING VERY OPPRESSED BY DCP AT THE MOMENT!

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

I don't think most schools would go on record saying they are boycotting the parade, but if applications are down, it is a pretty good indication that not all schools are happy with the election results. To me, it says a great deal. Not every locality that sends a band or drum corps supported the victor, yet they saw it as an honor to march. Almost as soon as it was announced Boston Crusaders would march in the 2012 parade, they were soliciting to make sure it would be a reality. I would assume not every marching member of BAC that participated voted for the President, but it was still a huge deal. This year that doesn't seem to be the case.

It is NOTHING OF THE SORT! You can't possibly make that claim except about you, and you alone. Of course it's the case this year. Sue at DCI said so, remember? Right there in the article. There's tons of kids who will march...

You guys really need to edit out your political comments. You're making assertions that are baseless and the discussion is clearly against DCP policy.

• Like 1

Wow, I really enjoyed all three of those. Gosh, that Mozart--powerful.

I'm getting a bit tired of Mozart's "Dies Irae"; I feel like I've heard a dozen or more marching bands play it in the past few years.

Today, however, if I was a director who was offered a gig (an unpaid one) to perform for a person who represents the inverse of what I'm about as a teacher . . . I would likely say "no" to the performance as well. Has little to do with actual politics.

I do wonder what it will be like for teachers going forward, in a world where, as the Oxford English Dictionary's choice of "post-truth" as word of the year reminds us, a large number of people, right up to the top, have decided that there are no such thing as facts.

It's turtles all the way down.

Or, to get redress of any kind these days, do I have to demand Safe-Space status for DCP

No, word has come down from on high that the only place that needs to be a safe space is the theater, lest politicians be traumatized.

(Which, since I work in theater, was actually a pretty funny comment to read.)

When this thread first popped up, I wondered how long it would take for the fireworks show to begin. Actually, it took a little longer than I expected.

• Like 2

I'm feeling triggered all over the place!

All these false assertions and, if I play by the rules, I'm not allowed to respond! I'M FEELING VERY OPPRESSED BY DCP AT THE MOMENT!

Well, either respond directly and risk your post being deleted and/or the thread being locked--which would not be the end of the world--or try a bit harder to make your point without being explicit. As long as you're polite, I don't think you'll get any sort of warning from the moderators.

I happen to think that false assertions need to be called out. But I also happen to think that the internet, and particularly public message boards, have proven to be a terrible medium for doing so. Nobody likes to admit that they're wrong in front of other people. It's usually more effective to correct mistakes in private, and preferably live in person rather than through a screen.

When this thread first popped up, I wondered how long it would take for the fireworks show to begin. Actually, it took a little longer than I expected.

This forum has managed to host a couple of politically-minded threads in the past, when they were somewhat related to drum corps, that ran pretty well for many pages before being closed, which shows that many contributors here, on all sides of the political spectrum, were working hard to listen to others--and were also very mindful that there's not much tolerance from the moderators (rightly so) for posts that cross a line.