DCI's own gets a mention on NBC News

Does the parade route go past Comet Ping Pong?

No.

Thanks for confirming. So there would be little opportunity for a band to take a wrong turn and have their guard members stumble into what, I am told, is a fine pizza joint. But if that did happen, I think there are a number of commenters who would refer to that mistake as . . .

a false flag maneuver.

• Like 1

Of course with respect to a corps participating (as opposed to a high school marching band), it would involve individual marchers making the decision whether to spend their own money to fly in for the gig in January. Therefore, a director may not want to risk accepting the gig and then finding out that not enough marchers are willing to come.

• Like 1

Ya' know, you really should edit this out because, under DCP rules, I can't say "BS, your statement is too broad and characterizes a whole group of people as have used divisive, racial, and misogyinistic rhetoric who never have" so, if I can't say that, you can't either.

Or, to get redress of any kind these days, do I have to demand Safe-Space status for DCP because your claim of "...endless numbers..." (of what, undocumented citizens?) is a trigger phrase? I shouldn't have to be marginalized because I voted for our next president.

Really, I should stop. This would be way too much fun, but I'll be surprised if the mods don't chop this discussion off with your comment.

I know you think this shtick is cute, but you're the one who brought up politics in the first place, and you were entirely incorrect to do so. Further, any ire aimed at the president-elect has largely not been politically motivated, but motivated by non-political statements he's made (that have been pointed out by other posters).

I continue to learn about some personalities on this forum, and I continue to be disappointed.

• Like 4

Thanks for confirming. So there would be little opportunity for a band to take a wrong turn and have their guard members stumble into what, I am told, is a fine pizza joint. But if that did happen, I think there are a number of commenters who would refer to that mistake as . . .

a false flag maneuver.

Ba-dum bum

I know you think this shtick is cute, but you're the one who brought up politics in the first place, and you were entirely incorrect to do so. Further, any ire aimed at the president-elect has largely not been politically motivated, but motivated by non-political statements he's made (that have been pointed out by other posters).

I continue to learn about some personalities on this forum, and I continue to be disappointed.

Uh, no, I didn't bring up the politics, the OP brought up the politics by posting an article about a political position some bands have taken in which an executive of DCI was quoted.

I brought up that I hoped DCI stayed the heck out of the politics introduced by the article. I was corrected to realize that, by Sue's comments, they'd done exactly that.

You should point the finger elsewhere.

Sorry for your disappointment, but it is your disappointment now, isn't it? You should have kept it to yourself, IMO.

More than a decade posting here...I have nothing to prove. You can take me as you've seen me in that time and I'm happy with that.

It is interesting to me, however, that I've never felt disappointed by finding out about someone. That seems to be a particular trait of one side of the discussion that is used in an attempt to deflate the position of the other. You misunderstand that I have an ego or that I care about another's political or social beliefs. I don't so your disappointment is not an effective tool against my position.

This politics has no place in drum corps or DCP. If you can't accept me as your friend because I love drum corps as you do, then you need to address whether you should support an activity that proclaims to include all.

Incidentally, I don't think it's cute, I think it's disgusting and deplorable and should be exhumed excised from DCP.

Edited by garfield

Incidentally, I don't think it's cute, I think it's disgusting and deplorable and should be exhumed from DCP.

Mixed metaphor here, I think. "Expelled"? "Expunged"? Exhume means to remove from the ground, and usually refers to a corpse. But that would make DCP the earth, which doesn't make sense to me. Cute use of "deplorable" though.

Mixed metaphor here, I think. "Expelled"? "Expunged"? Exhume means to remove from the ground, and usually refers to a corpse. But that would make DCP the earth, which doesn't make sense to me. Cute use of "deplorable" though.

Excised, then.

Of course with respect to a corps participating (as opposed to a high school marching band), it would involve individual marchers making the decision whether to spend their own money to fly in for the gig in January. Therefore, a director may not want to risk accepting the gig and then finding out that not enough marchers are willing to come.

I imagine all the units participating in any of the major parades held annually get a heads up many months in advance. College and HS bands are already in season. D&BC have time to get the word out to current members, plus alumni. A corps (did Boston do this?) could hold their Jan. camp a couple of days earlier in the DC area and work on show, parade music, and parade marching before the Friday parade. Yes, some mm might have to change flight plans, but most will want to do it. Boston lost rehearsal time in early July of 2015 because of their involvement with the Esplanade concert on July 4th and Tanglewood a few days later, but they were major highlights for the mm that year.

Edited by Ghost

Playing in a 4th of July concert and at Tanglewood would certainly be a highlight.

Marching in a parade in late January in DC might be a dubious call. I was outside for hours in the freezing rain to march in the 1983 Superbowl victory parade in DC (and after all that, we never even marched because the parade was so screwed up). It was a memory, but not a highlight, of my marching career.

• Like 1

Marching in a parade in late January in DC might be a dubious call.

Boston's first inaugural parade was for L. Johnson in 65. We froze our assses off and slept in the basement of a church and listened to Ed Denon snoring most of the night before the parade.