2017 Uniform Thread

2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I really really hope that the Cadets don't cave to the costume trend. The Cadet uniform is the best in the activity.

That ship has sailed. Cadets are going with modern costuming... but guess what... they'll ALL be in non traditional, non cadet style costumes in a few years, imo. 

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Make that several decades ago.

Cesario in the 80's when he was on Cadets staff stopped GH from changing it. GH wanted something relaxed and less expensive like the Crossmen uniform he wore. The conversation wasn't in private but on a corps bus going to a contest when staff still rode with the MMs.  Alumni heard about it and have fumed and resisted Hopkins on this ever since, particularly as GH is neither a veteran of the US military nor veteran of the Cadets; to him it was just fabric. I personally heard the conversation.

As the chameleon corps (Star,Crown, Bloo,), WGI trends and uniform companies have steered the direction of the activity toward the gym suits and pajamas, in desperation to regain the top, Allentown has also caved.

Yup.  But they'll all be in pajamas, spandex, body suits, circus attire, etc soon enough.

Edited by BRASSO

Who would have guessed that back in the 1980's that the Velvet Knights Corps costuming would be 35 years ahead of its time ? That the Velvet Knights.. whom we all chuckled with for such wacky brazenness in costuming at the time.... that today such outfits, and sneakers, etc would be considered a stupendous innovation, to be taken oh so SERIOUSLY now ( haha!) Blue Devils, SCV, Cadets, Phantom Regiment and most DCI Corps organizations sort of looked down on VK at the time, poo pooed their attire (that they considered disrespectful, wacky, outlandish.. and worse) but now, 30-35 years later are all coming around to the notion that pajamas, and outlandish looking attire are a SERIOUS uniform innovation. Who knew ? ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

44 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

That ship has sailed. Cadets are going with modern costuming... but guess what... they'll ALL be in non traditional, non cadet style costumes in a few years, imo. 

It was mentioned they are respecting tradition but with an updated feel. Obviously material will be easier to move in. I suspect they will look like the Cadets from up top but with some added flair. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tobias said:

It was mentioned they are respecting tradition but with an updated feel. Obviously material will be easier to move in. I suspect they will look like the Cadets from up top but with some added flair. 

Gonna be interesting.  If Joey H. has input,  watch out :peek:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aLittleBird said:

I don't know what kind of pajamas you people wear... mine aren't body tight spandex.

That's good to know. My pajamas are loose fitting ( somewhat like VK's ), although sometimes I wear boxer shorts and a T to bed.

10 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Gonna be interesting.  If Joey H. has input,  watch out :peek:

Yes he can be "wildly" imaginative but honestly, to be effective way up in the box, they probably "need" to be "ambitious". . Take Crown's guard costumes (using as example because usually my fav every season), up close...busy, silly, sexy, odd but upstairs.... primo so I'll let the designers toy with the Cadet uniform errr costume.. Let's see what they create. Just glad the traditional colors will be a tie to the past.

Edited by Tobias

38 minutes ago, aLittleBird said:

I don't know what kind of pajamas you people wear... mine aren't body tight spandex.

To each his own.

People still wear pajamas? :sleep:

45 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Based on GH's previous decisions and choices, I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces the shakos with pink yarn 'hats."

Edited by xandandl