Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, it's sort of like Liahona was the AP and garfield was CNN. Two different journalistic outfits; two different sources. And the sources in both cases have biases (as we all do) and share with the journalists in a way that makes them look best.

Then along comes HOLYHome in the role of Buzzfeed or Wikileaks to present some, but not all, of the raw information.

Mingusmonk also provided some useful raw information, that up to the halfway point of this discussion (which is as far as I've gotten), had not yet been discussed by anyone else, so I guess we'll call him Snowden.

Ughh.  I'm not sure I'm comfortable...can I be the Economist or the WSJ?

I must admit to thoroughly enjoying the vigorous debate and discussion that we have here periodically.  The flurry of passion and opinion is flushing, fulfilling.

I gave a few thousand dollars to Crown when they won; I'm not a current direct supporter.  I've never given to BAC.  The point is that I'm dispassionate of who the corps are.  I love them all, I only see the precedent that gets set when mob mentality is allowed to foment imaginary conspiracies that don't exist.  That guy from that state up north said it best: The kiddies are watching.  We shouldn't be airing the family's dirty laundry unless we can actually see the yellow and brown spots.  These tightie-whities are pretty, darn clean.

I will vigorously call a spade, a spade.  And I will with as much gusto vigorously defend the integrity of the leaders and participants who drive this activity.  It doesn't matter who it is.

We shouldn't inflame the passions that bring out the pitchforks easily.  This isn't one of those situations.

Let's find a way to discuss the pro's and cons of having a "transfer" policy that requires debt repayment.  That might be fun! (My own industry is a very high dollar amount example of this exact situation).  

But let's find a way to get the discussion away from Crown and give them the room to address this notion in their own way, if they care.  And if they don't, let's admit that we can only discuss the DCI policy anyway because it is an activity policy, not a Crown policy.  

I despise the temerity of presuming we can know better, from our armchairs.  

29 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

every corps could do this, no?

increase your tour fees by $500, and give everyone a $500 scholarship contingent on the fact that if you march in the out years, you march with this corps.  Paid back if the kid goes elsewhere in a future year?

People can write anything they want into a contract between parties. But will it stand legal muster. Sometimes yes... sometimes no. The old saying..  "the devil is in the details "  comes to mind.

Moving forward, I expect this all will be worked out satisfactorily between Crown and Boston, and the benefit of the discussion here is that parents will be careful to read contracts they sign, and Corps will do a far better job of explaining any financial penalties that might occur to parents of marchers should they opt at some future date to participate in DCI, but with another marching DCI unit.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

Additionally there were questions about "why is this so late".  Clearly this was all triggered by an email from Boston.  The irony gets thicker.  

I say BS to this assertion...

11 hours ago, craiga said:

So, after demanding "proof", you then dismiss it.  Ok..fine.  No, it's not the Salem Witch Trials....just a terrible way to run a youth activity.  And for the record, this is not just "one kid".

On the contrary, it's exactly the way any business should be run, non-profit or not. You know what you call a non-profit who doesn't run along business principles?  Dead.

The kid signed a contract with Crown, got scholarship funds applied to his or her fees, didn't pay off the balance due, and is in apparent violation of their agreement by choosing to move to another corps. If a Boston alum wants to buy them out of their troubles, I'm sure that's an option. Otherwise, welcome to the world of adulting.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

Is Craiga the aggrieved parent?  No?  Is he the girl's uncle?  No?  So... SOMEONE passed him the information.  You are a HOOT !  

For the record Craiga and myself were SURPRISED that this email surfaced as well as how fast that it did...I was certainly was not expecting it.

9 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

On the contrary, it's exactly the way any business should be run, non-profit or not. You know what you call a non-profit who doesn't run along business principles?  Dead.

The kid signed a contract with Crown, got scholarship funds applied to his or her fees, didn't pay off the balance due, and is in apparent violation of their agreement by choosing to move to another corps. If a Boston alum wants to buy them out of their troubles, I'm sure that's an option. 

I think the use of "scholarship" is misleading (and yeah I know Crown uses it too -- they call their staff faculty as well -- whatever).  Instead think of debt forgiveness.

Member fee is $XXXX.  Every marching member incurs this debt every season.

Corps says to some members in need:  We will forgive part of your debt if you continue to march here.  But if you decide you want to march elsewhere we will no longer forgive that debt.  

The debt was always there.  There's nothing shocking about any of this.

Edited by corpsband

"I was notified yesterday by Chris Holland..." etc...

Granted I'm assuming that said notification was an email.  It could have been a parchment scroll written in blood.

This is how corps interact with each other concerning membership...sounds to me like Chris was complying within the rules by notifying Crown...I don't get your point at all...

Just now, Liahona said:

This is how corps interact with each other concerning membership...sounds to me like Chris was complying within the rules by notifying Crown...I don't get your point at all...

I think we're talking at cross purposes.  

My point was the timing of all this was driven by the notification from BAC.  

Elsewhere the timing on Crown's part was called into question.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, it's sort of like Liahona was the AP and garfield was CNN. Two different journalistic outfits; two different sources. And the sources in both cases have biases (as we all do) and share with the journalists in a way that makes them look best.

Then along comes HOLYHome in the role of Buzzfeed or Wikileaks to present some, but not all, of the raw information.

Mingusmonk also provided some useful raw information, that up to the halfway point of this discussion (which is as far as I've gotten), had not yet been discussed by anyone else, so I guess we'll call him Snowden.

I got a real chuckle overt this post...hahaha

• Like 1