Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

20 minutes ago, Cainan said:

I will shut this down very quickly.

Please close it.  This topic has been beaten to death, and no new info has come out.

Edited by BoaDci
Added the words "close" and "it"

44 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

On the contrary, it's exactly the way any business should be run, non-profit or not. You know what you call a non-profit who doesn't run along business principles?  Dead.

The kid signed a contract with Crown, got scholarship funds applied to his or her fees, didn't pay off the balance due, and is in apparent violation of their agreement by choosing to move to another corps. If a Boston alum wants to buy them out of their troubles, I'm sure that's an option. Otherwise, welcome to the world of adulting.

The kid performed for Crown in 2016...the "scholarship" was earned and was applied towards the kids 2016 tour fees....then Crown revokes via email last week in 2017 because the member decided not to return to Crown and accepted a contract at Boston...something seriously wrong with this picture IMO...that is from an ethical perspective...legally I'll leave that one alone...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Really.  Because in the deleted thread it said the proof would be posted within 24hrs.  How could it possibly have been surprise? :doh:

It was me that said that proof could be provided in 24-48 hours. I posted that after YOU and others essentially accused Craiga and Liahona of making the CC story up. Proof was demanded, remember ? Or else, the story was considered " BS ".  DCP mods reacted to that belief that the report was  BS " so they deleted that thread on this from yesterday. I was at Boston's camp this weekend in Florida. The info was floating around about this in a general way then. I had no communication with Craiga on it ( he was not at BAC camp ). He posted what he heard. Unilaterally. I did not know what he knew of it, till he posted it then pm'ed me on it yesterday.. Later I found out thru my own sources at Boston that if " proof " was needed, it could be provided  in " hours ". I got up late today, did not find out until I saw this new thread here with " the proof " that was demanded, Here's the deal too... I do not even know who  the author of this thread is. Even now.  I don't know his or her name, nor their background. I don't know him or her from a hole in the wall.  Never even got a pm from him or her. Ever. YOU know as much about him or her as I do. So this ridiculous notion of yours of any organized effort on this report is absolutely rubbish, corpsband.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

I read the entire thread; took an hour.

Already covered:

1) DCI's policy on switching corps. 

2) Crown's payback policy. 

Not covered:

1) what happens if BAC allows member to march knowing the outstanding debt exists? 

2) does the member have recourse against Crown since - for all intents and purposes - Crown's instructional leadership had changed so drastically that the member can claim "bait n switch?" IOW Crown is an intitely different organization as far as the member is concerned (esp if the rumors are true that said instructional leadership was instrumental in recruiting said member) Might render the contract unenforceable. 

Bumping this post because it asks some interesting questions that no one has tried to answer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Bumping this post because it asks some interesting questions that no one has tried to answer.

Indeed. 

On the first it's barely February.  I'm sure they'll have their fees/debts paid.  

On the second....very interesting point raised there.  

9 minutes ago, Liahona said:

The kid performed for Crown in 2016...the "scholarship" was earned and was applied towards the kids 2016 tour fees....then Crown revokes via email last week in 2017 because the member decided not to return to Crown and accepted a contract at Boston...something seriously wrong with this picture IMO...that is from an ethical perspective...legally I'll leave that one alone...

I think the use of "scholarship" is misleading (and yeah I know Crown uses it too -- they call their staff faculty as well -- whatever).  Instead think of debt forgiveness.

Member fee is $XXXX.  Every marching member incurs this debt every season.

Corps says to some members in need:  We will forgive part of your debt if you continue to march here.  But if you decide you want to march elsewhere we will no longer forgive that debt.  

The debt was always there.  There's nothing shocking about any of this.

21 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Really.  Because in the deleted thread it said the proof would be posted within 24hrs.  How could it possibly have been a surprise? :doh:

Yes really...with all due respect...that comment did not come from me...I never said I would be providing some kind of written proof within 24 hours...and I was the OP that started that thread...I was merely asking the question "Carolina Crown Asks Migrated Kids To Pay Back Scholarship $$$?" which was based upon what I heard from several reliable sources and a little detective work and thought it was a relevant story...I actually waited overnight and decided to sleep on it first...I won't ask those that knew this to come forward to confirm I sat on the story...I was on the fence as to whether I would break the story or not...I made the decision to go forward...and here we are now a day later and on thread number 2...