Cone of silence

5 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I believe some corps do provide SOME interaction, i.e., George Hopkins' facebook posts. I don't know too much about what other corps provide other than what fans of those corps post in their respective threads. But there's your interaction right there. 

I don't consider political posts, sporting news, and happy thoughts for the day to be interaction pertaining to drum corps especially since the shako of silence has fallen. I will credit him for what he's done in the past, however. Although, it is a bit ironic that you bring up GH's FB wall when you've been the most vocal opponent to info sharing.

1 minute ago, wallace said:

I don't consider political posts, sporting news, and happy thoughts for the day to be interaction pertaining to drum corps especially since the shako of silence has fallen. I will credit him for what he's done in the past, however. Although, it is a bit ironic that you bring up GH's FB wall when you've been the most vocal opponent to info sharing.

Well you want information, so that's what you get. Of course I'm a vocal opponent, but since that's HIS page, he does what he wants with it, as we all do. I just chose not to follow all of it. 

This topic IMO is stemming around several different competing questions...although many of them seem to be related in one way or another... 

1. Should corps engage with their fan-base during the off-season at all?

2. Do fans have a right to demand more content during the off-season which may include paid and non-paid content?

3. What type of content (audio or visual) should actually be included at any level of engagement?  i.e. actually show clips/music versus chord progressions or exercises etc.

4. Are show and music announcements enough for the activity?  

5 Is it better to be informed or pleasantly surprised in May/June?

6. Are corps missing the point of understanding the marvel of modern day social media?  Are they missing any opportunities to grow or expand the existing fan-base?

7. Is it best to keep the status quo and let each corps decide (with no annual consistency) for themselves what is best for them?

My opinions:

1. Yes! Engagement should be prioritized above just mere presence since it is the creative, engaging, exclusive and relevant content which builds loyalty, advocacy and interaction among fans IMO. Engagement needs to be regular and not sparse.

2. No! I believe that corps can either rise or fall based upon their own social media policies.

3. Let corps decide this one for good or bad.

4. No! Social recommendation and word-of-mouth is salient in modern media...social has become ever present in the way content is written and circulated....It is no longer enough to simply broadcast messages to an audience, so corps IMO must find a way to leverage their online communities and empower their fans to help build their own social presence. 

5.  I honestly like both.  Does not variety spice things up a bit? Perhaps we are not getting enough variety right now?

6. Yes! Though it is clear that winning a trophy and other awards...best brass etc...are important in a corps development...I argue that a social media strategy based exclusively on winning is not the optimal way to ensure that corps profits are generated on a regular and sustainable basis...Since winning is only possible for a one corps every season...a strategy that places the fan at the center of the action will prove benefit to most corps at all levels in the long term...

7. Whatever works I guess...but is this actually broken?

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well you want information, so that's what you get. Of course I'm a vocal opponent, but since that's HIS page, he does what he wants with it, as we all do. I just chose not to follow all of it. 

Does this mean you're going to refrain from complaining about a corps' program if it doesn't meet your criteria for success once it's announced? That's a fair question to ask since you're waiting and seeing.

Most of us that want more content aren't even asking for show info, so I fail to understand the ruffled plumes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wallace said:

Does this mean you're going to refrain from complaining about a corps' program if it doesn't meet your criteria for success once it's announced? That's a fair question to ask since you're waiting and seeing.

Most of us that want more content aren't even asking for show info, so I fail to understand the ruffled plumes.

That question makes no sense since only a show announcement and that alone cannot determine whether or not the show will be successful. 

The notion that by hearing brass chord progressions and drumming exercises via camp videos in the winter camps might somehow take away from being " pleasantly surprised " with the on field, full show in June from the Corps really doesn't make much sense to me. They are not mutually exclusive it would seem to me. Nobody on here has pointed out what possible harm it does either. So basically, as near as I can tell, there is no excuse for all these Corps to not put out harmless, innocuous, video tapes of such brass line and drum line exercises in the off season. Gawd, you'd think the Corps have never done it before, and without any downside or harm to their doing so.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The notion that by hearing brass chord progressions and drumming exercises via camp videos in the winter camps might somehow take away from being " pleasantly surprised " with the on field, full show in June from the Corps really doesn't make much sense to me. They are not mutually exclusive it would seem to me. Nobody on here has pointed out what possible harm it does either. So basically, as near as I can tell, there is no excuse for all these Corps to not put out harmless, innocuous, video tapes of such brass line and drum line exercises in the off season. Gawd, you'd think the Corps have never done it before, and without any downside or harm to their doing so.

A lot of corps have volunteer or intern social media people for the summer...so perhaps this MAY be some of the reasoning behind the lack of this sort of content...

3 minutes ago, Liahona said:

A lot of corps have volunteer or intern social media people for the summer...so perhaps this MAY be some of the reasoning behind the lack of this sort of content...

oh I don't know. I would imagine these young interns would have a cell phone and know how to take a video and post it on facebook.

So much wringing of hands surrounding this topic.  So many posters demanding to hear something, anything.  What I sense from so many people is "good god please send me some small tidbit of this years program.  I want so much to offer my expert opinion on the music and see if it is something I can get behind this year."  IMO, a corps may decide release information to tease their fan base a bit, if it is something that helps generate interest or financial support or volunteer work, whatever it may be.  Releasing a little before the season starts is a "nice to have",  but not a "must have" for fans.  Although many corps have a preseason event for fans, families and alumni; the same eager fans, if they are so demanding to be in the know about a program, can help at winter camp.

What I came to learn from a particular org,  was that they felt releasing a lot show information so far in advance, offered nothing beneficial to them.  All it did was release the critical hounds.  Fans, alumni & detractors.  MM's, staff, instructors don't need to be exposed to any of that BS while they work to put a program together.  There will certainly be enough of that once the season begins.  One positive point of releasing some show snippets might be to reach out to potential MM's to fill open spots.  

So please back off demanding and defending your "right to know".  Each corps gets to decide what they put out no matter how people try justifying why they should tell them or show them more.  Go to a camp, help them out.  Just my $.02.

• Like 2