Phantom Regiment 2017

Just now, kdaddy said:

Not to get too OT, but can you provide a top 5 or so of your favorite Cartwright shows? 

Oooh, yea, that would be interesting to know so I can look them up.

Just now, DrumManTx said:

We talking HS or WGI too?  I'm not a WGI expert but I know his late 80s stint with Union is pretty legendary.  

Nah, let's not get into WGI. Plus I've heard all about his Union run from friends... :) More interested in BA and LD Bell. 

Just now, kdaddy said:

Nah, let's not get into WGI. Plus I've heard all about his Union run from friends... :) More interested in BA and LD Bell. 

And I don't think it's too off topic......he's part of their program design now.  Will provide before I go to bed tonight.  

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Not to get too OT, but can you provide a top 5 or so of your favorite Cartwright shows? 

In DCI - 

89 - SCV - He did the guard for their title Phantom of the Opera show.  Outdated now obviously, but one of the best shows in the history of DCI.

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, he left DCI after that and has mainly worked with High Schools in TX and OK.

BOA top 5 - 

Any Broken Arrow show the past 10 years.  Particularly 2015, 2013, 2012, 2010.

George Mason (OH) 2015, 2014

LD Bell high school (TX) 2005-2010 ish

(sorry to get OT and into BOA, but they are good examples of the style he will bring to Phantom)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

LD Bell 2006 "The Remaining" show has been my favorite HS show far and away for almost a decade now.  The effect and just feeling of dread and despair that show creates when I watch it is unrivaled for me.  I've heard stories too about some of the field level stuff people saw from the guard/band members.  

Broken Arrow 2014s "FACEMe" show REALLY connected with me.  I have my own interpretations of what I think the show is but holy hell is it enthralling.  I loved Tarpon Springs that year too but this one blew me away.  There's something about the ending they added on for GN shook me to my core.  

Again, Broken Arrow in 2012.  I LOVE dark shows and in the HS world that opening hit is a thing of absolute and total beauty.  The guard emerging from the smoke filled tunnel with the gas masks on for the first time was pretty cool.  

Broken Arrow's 2013 "Utopia" show I absolutely love too.  So understated and undeniably gorgeous.  Not much else to say other than I so dearly wish I had a good recording of that show......UGH.  

Broken Arrow's show this past fall I loved.  I know they had those props but the flow and organic nature of the show just swept me away. 

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

LD Bell 2006 "The Remaining" show has been my favorite HS show far and away for almost a decade now.  The effect and just feeling of dread and despair that show creates when I watch it is unrivaled for me.  I've heard stories too about some of the field level stuff people saw from the guard/band members.  

Broken Arrow 2014s "FACEMe" show REALLY connected with me.  I have my own interpretations of what I think the show is but holy hell is it enthralling.  I loved Tarpon Springs that year too but this one blew me away.  There's something about the ending they added on for GN shook me to my core.  

Again, Broken Arrow in 2012.  I LOVE dark shows and in the HS world that opening hit is a thing of absolute and total beauty.  The guard emerging from the smoke filled tunnel with the gas masks on for the first time was pretty cool.  

Broken Arrow's 2013 "Utopia" show I absolutely love too.  So understated and undeniably gorgeous.  Not much else to say other than I so dearly wish I had a good recording of that show......UGH.  

Broken Arrow's show this past fall I loved.  I know they had those props but the flow and organic nature of the show just swept me away. 

Thanks for these! 

What's interesting about some of those BA shows is that they're made up of a collection of seemingly random classical tunes that almost unapologetically don't transition from one to the next. In FACEme, they went from Danse Macabre to Pines of Rome to Spartacus to the Organ Symphony to Jesus Christ Superstar. Great arrangements, great performance, but the collection is really odd. The rep at Regiment already makes more sense to me than this. 

Also, as I understand it, Cartwright wasn't involved at BA in 2016. Though that was indeed a great show. 

Today is the big day! First public performance. As soon as I have it I'll let those that are curious know.

• Like 3