50 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Good lord, if I were a corps administrator I couldn't in good conscience send someone else's kids out to a day of rehearsal in Vegas any time between July 1 and September 30. 150 counts of manslaughter just waiting ot happen. As was suggested elsewhere, you'd need acres of indoor, air-conditioned field facilities to pull it off. 

Corps start during ST to get used to a daily routine, so I don't see a corps switching to outdoor rehearsals overnight, then sleeping late morning into the early evening just to avoid one weeks worth of high temperatures.   

We have all heard the term ‘playing with fire’; well here we are playing with the potential of serious injury or death.  If a rehearsal is necessary, and the temps or humidity is exceptionally high (as would be the case in Vegas in July and August) rehearse in an air conditioned gym but not outside.  And here is why:

According to the medical experts, participating in any athletic related activity, even the best conditioned athletes, in heat situations over 100* or 90+* with high humidity should be very limited in scope or completely avoided.  Rest in the shade and hydration, though extremely vital, should not be relied upon to prevent Heatstroke in these situations.   If a Heatstroke occurs it requires immediate emergency treatment.  If not treated immediately Heatstroke can quickly damage your brain, heart, kidneys and muscles. The damage worsens the longer treatment is delayed, increasing your risk of death.

This is why it would be negligent, nay flat stupid, for any corps to rehearse their show outside, during the day, in the Las Vegas area in July or August

Edited by Stu

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

We have all heard the term ‘playing with fire’; well here we are playing with the potential of serious injury or death.  If a rehearsal is necessary, and the temps or humidity is exceptionally high (as would be the case in Vegas in July and August) rehearse in an air conditioned gym but not outside.  And here is why:

According to the medical experts, participating in any athletic related activity, even the best conditioned athletes, in heat situations over 100* or 90+* with high humidity should be very limited in scope or completely avoided.  Rest in the shade and hydration, though extremely vital, should not be relied upon to prevent Heatstroke in these situations.   If a Heatstroke occurs it requires immediate emergency treatment.  If not treated immediately Heatstroke can quickly damage your brain, heart, kidneys and muscles. The damage worsens the longer treatment is delayed, increasing your risk of death.

This is why it would be negligent, nay flat stupid, for any corps to rehearse their show outside, during the day, in the Las Vegas area in July or August

Who are you quoting?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stu said:

If a rehearsal is necessary, and the temps or humidity is exceptionally high (as would be the case in Vegas in July and August) rehearse in an air conditioned gym but not outside.   

http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Las+Vegas

And there will also be very low dew points.

Edited by Ghost

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

So... it really is a dry heat...LOL

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

For me, I'll take over 100 degree temps, humidity of 18, and a dew point of 25 over 90-85-78 any day.  You may work up a sweat in a very dry climate, but once you stop what you're doing, you and your clothing will be dry in a short period of time.

6 hours ago, corpsband said:

Who are you quoting?

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Las+Vegas

And there will also be very low dew points.

57 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

41 minutes ago, Ghost said:

For me, I'll take over 100 degree temps, humidity of 18, and a dew point of 25 over 90-85-78 any day.  You may work up a sweat in a very dry climate, but once you stop what you're doing, you and your clothing will be dry in a short period of time.

Information concerning the dangers of Heatstroke was compiled from the websites of the Mayo Clinic, WebMD, and other medical sites as well as direct communication with a physician.  I am involved with a youth sports league so we take the best interest of the health of our youth seriously.   And as for the ‘dry heat' that all of you are taking flippantly and one of you so eloquently making fun of with the ‘LOL’; while humidity exacerbates the miserable feeling of heat, 'dry heat', especially in the 103+* range, is actually more dangerous because the body in those circumstances does not give off that many warning signs of overheating until it is too late.  Again, frequent rest in the shade and hydration are vital, but neither will guarantee prevention of a Heatstroke from hard physical exertion in extreme heat conditions (even dry heat in the 103* - 106* range).  This is one reason why sports camps for scholastic sports programs are regulated on how and when they can conduct activities outside in summer heat conditions by the various academic associations.  And just because no youth has died within an activity is no excuse to implement preventative measures; that would be another one to put in the neglect/stupid category.

Edited by Stu

7 hours ago, Stu said:

If a rehearsal is necessary, and the temps or humidity is exceptionally high (as would be the case in Vegas in July and August) rehearse in an air conditioned gym but not outside.   

Yes Stu, the info you searched from the Mayo folks is good, but my reply was to your point of Vegas in July/August having "exceptionally high humidity".  Temperatures yes, but unless there's precipitation, not with the humidity.  That link showing monthly humidity averages for Vegas proves that point.  The highest monthly morning humidity average is Jan. with 59%.  For the afternoon, it's Jan. & Dec. at 32%.

Yes, high temps can cause damage and you need good coverage of your whole body and stay hydrated with breaks, but to me, even at 160 LBS, I can handle dry over dish rag weather any day.  That's one of the reason we left the East coast.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Yes Stu, the info you searched from the Mayo folks is good, but my reply was to your point of Vegas in July/August having "exceptionally high humidity".  Temperatures yes, but unless there's precipitation, not with the humidity.  That link showing monthly humidity averages for Vegas proves that point.  The highest monthly morning humidity average is Jan. with 59%.  For the afternoon, it's Jan. & Dec. at 32%.

Yes, high temps can cause damage and you need good coverage of your whole body and stay hydrated with breaks, but to me, even at 160 LBS, I can handle dry over dish rag weather any day.  That's one of the reason we left the East coast.

Humid heat causes the very noticeable miserable feelings because the sweat is not absorbed into the humid air quickly; and due to that wet-sticky misery people tend to do more indoor activities or move to a different location like you did.  Dry heat is actually more dangerous because those miserable feelings do not manifest as much giving the illusion that your body is cooler, but the overheating of the body is still occurring.  And due to those miserable feelings being muted in dry heat conditions people tend to have a false sense of comfort; and therefore they do not show any signs of a problem until it is too late and the body has moved into Heatstroke territory.  If you notice that people who live in dry very hot conditions around the world limit their outdoor activities during the day and actually wear heavy clothing to retain the moisture from their sweat which in turn evaporates more efficiently and keeps their bodies cooler; but again they also severely limit their physical activities while outside in that dry heat.

9 hours ago, Stu said:

I literally grew up going to outdoor marching band camps in Las Vegas from June through September. I've never once experienced a problem, and have only witnessed a handful of heat-related problems, all due to an individual not drinking enough water. 

There also are air conditioned indoor facilities with vacancy an space to allow more than a dozen corps to rehearse during the summer. I was sure to mention this on the first page of this discussion.

Also for the sake of argument, we've also hosted a three-day outdoor music festival in late June that's attended by nearly 150k people each day for the past seven years. In the sake of transparency, that festival does experience individuals being treated for heat problems. That quantity is always less than 0.5% of the festival's total attendance, and in 100% of those cases it's because the individuals did not drink enough water.

I realize you've read some scary things on the Internet, but unfortunately for your argument we simply don't have the problems you're concerned about in a ratio that warrants valid concern. We also have the capacity to deal with heat-related concerns pre- and post- in the event that a problem occurs. Drink water, wear sunblock (both of which corps are encouraged to do already) and you'll be fine.