the most important thing about heat illness is AWARENESS and EDUCATION.

participants need to monitor each other.

instructors need to understand how to assess conditions on the practice field and alter their normal routines appropriately.

everyone needs to understand how to get and remain properly hydrated.

heat stroke deaths are entirely preventable if everyone is educated properly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, corpsband said:

instructors need to understand how to assess conditions on the practice field and alter their normal routines appropriately.

Well said!

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

lol so you're quoting yourself?

shouldn't you just have put that in a regular paragraph?  the quotes made it seem as if you are citing some authoritative source.

anyway i agree that having a show in the middle of the desert during high summer is not really a smart idea.   practice facilities will be outside not air conditioned.  and pre-show warmups will be in full uniform.  

drum corps MM's naturally follow one of the heat illness avoidance recommendations (wear as little clothing as possible) by default!  

The paragraph was italicized not quoted since it was information complied from multiple sources, and thus no, I was not 'quoting' myself.

You are correct in that a show in the middle of the extremely hot desert with day-time practice facilities and warm-up areas outside is not a smart idea.

But in extreme heat conditions the heat illness avoidance is not stripping off clothes, it is either staying inside an air-conditioned facility out of the extreme heat (or doing very little activity outside) while wearing clothes which will absorb perspiration and disperse the moisture out into the air more efficiently (i.e. see people who have always lived in the desert regions around the world).  No matter what, physical activity should be very limited or non-existent outside in day-time hot environments like a desert.

59 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Nope, the most important thing is to heed the warnings learned from awareness and education and change behavior accordingly.  Most Drum Corps today do a good job at performer hydration and sunscreen.  But heeding the warnings and following the education also includes staying inside an air-conditioned facility if physical exertion, such as what DCI performers are required to accomplish, is to occur when the ambient temp outside is extreme, as in above 100+*.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

The paragraph was italicized not quoted since it was information complied from multiple sources, and thus no, I was not 'quoting' myself.

You are correct in that a show in the middle of the extremely hot desert with day-time practice facilities and warm-up areas outside is not a smart idea.

But in extreme heat conditions the heat illness avoidance is not stripping off clothes, it is either staying inside an air-conditioned facility out of the extreme heat (or doing very little activity outside) while wearing clothes which will absorb perspiration and disperse the moisture out into the air more efficiently (i.e. see people who have always lived in the desert regions around the world).  No matter what, physical activity should be very limited or non-existent outside in day-time hot environments like a desert.

Well if you're not quoting a source,  you're quoting yourself :-) 

As for the clothes....Lighten up Stu -- it was a very gentle joke. :doh:

Edited by corpsband

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Nope, the most important thing is to heed the warnings learned from awareness and education and change behavior accordingly.  Most Drum Corps today do a good job at performer hydration and sunscreen.  But heeding the warnings and following the education also includes staying inside an air-conditioned facility if physical exertion, such as what DCI performers are required to accomplish, is to occur when the ambient temp outside is extreme, as in above 100+*.

Nope.  Education and Awareness lead to proper behavior.  No two ways about it.  Learn and Apply.  Simple.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

No need for a lecture.  I've been to Arizona (Phoenix/Tuscon area) in the summer... and it is wicked.  And I'm not sure Vegas is a great idea, for a variety of reasons.

But should DCI call off the Texas tour, and the shows in the Deep South, if exposure to high heat is a life-threatening concern?  Hasn't exposure to potentially dangerous summertime heat been a part of drum corps for... well... forever?

NOT downplaying the possibility that a serious problem could happen. And yes, dry heat is a concern, for many of the reasons you laid out. When I was in Arizona that summer, I made sure to drink water even if I didn't feel like I needed it... because I had been told by a friend who lived there that, indeed, there are times when you're not sure if you're dehydrating or not.

But today's corps, with their emphasis on member wellness... staying hydrated, using sunscreen, nutrition, etc., are much better equipped to handle/prevent such issues, I think, than those of bygone days.   Man... back then, there were times when we considered ourselves fortunate to get a lunch break and maybe a five-minute water break.  LOL.

When we were in San Antonio in 2006, Jim referred to it as "Vietnam hot".   It gets pretty bad down there in late July. 

• Like 1

Based on Stu's insights, I'm concerned the Raiders are going to die.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu said:

In humid heat, like your NJ example, it is a miserable feeling, in dry heat, like your Arizona example, feeling fine is an illusion. Hydration is not a guarantee from getting a heatstroke in either situation. And by relying on your own personal experiences in these two postings, along with a LOL opinion concerning dry heat, you actually are downplaying the possibility that a serious problem could happen.

Aside from being an expert lecturer, you apparently also are a mind reader.  :tongue:

Because there is no way of you knowing whether I am downplaying anything with my previous comments, or any comments I make, considering that you don't know me any better than you do the guy standing in front of you on the grocery store checkout line.

If I said I like 80-degree sunny days, and added that I never have had a problem with days like that.... in other words, relaying my personal experience with such days... would I be "downplaying the possibility that a serious problem could happen" if I didn't specifically mention that, perhaps, a cold front could come through, bring with it wind and rain, and drop the temperature to around 50 degrees in a matter of minutes, causing problems for anyone wearing shorts and t-shirts and who did not have a coat or rain gear with them?

Of course not.  My talking about about my personal experience with anything is just that... me talking about a personal experience.  Sheesh.

(BTW, that 80-to-50 scenario is a personal experience.  LOL.  Happened to me at a college football game years ago.  Yes, I was an idiot for not checking the weather forecast and not being totally prepared. But...somehow... I survived. :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1