What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

4 hours ago, Tobias said:

Agreed. At least they realized and improved on the vocal front from 2007 going forward. 

I hear ya... probably the only thing I didn't like about their 2007 show. Fantastic horn line that year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

There is something about Guards that hit the ground, do a 180 degree roll over like Fido, then get up and run to another dot, that needs to be given a rest as a marcher move, imo. Enough of the roll overs on the ground. It adds nothing to 90% of the themes, imo.. and anybody can hit the ground, roll over and get up. Heck, even I have sometimes done this move getting out of bed in the morning.

I know nothing of him except from his mighty DCP presence, but I might put up $5 to see a BRASSO rollover. Maybe an hour before finals?

And I think he gets what DCP is all about enough that he might have mentioned this hoping some of us would ask for a demonstration.

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear ya... probably the only thing I didn't like about their 2007 show. Fantastic horn line that year.

Agreed. One of the loudest ever but Gino turned it down towards the end of season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I might put up $5 to see a BRASSO rollover.

$5 isn't enough money for you to watch me fluff my pillows.

• Like 1

(a re-post to the thread intended)

I've been a casual reader since last season. But, I've got to say, this thread is amusing. Someone visiting for the first time, reading this, will get the impression we really DO NOT like anything about today's drum corps!  :cry:

All kidding aside, I love current drum corps productions!   ON TELEVISION !

Many of the little details, nuances that bother us, actually work VERY well on screen. Although a topic that deserves its own space, the struggle to design what works for a single viewer, in a single seat location, live, in an outdoor grandstand, and "nailing" the same performance produced on screen, with all the digital trappings, is REAL.

DCI Live! has kept this old guy in the game.  Great shows!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

(a re-post to the thread intended)

I, I love current drum corps productions!   ON TELEVISION !

Me Too!... Bring back the Championships so they are ON TELEVISION !. These marchers are hugely talented and need to be back ON Television, for the widest possible national exposure to audiences that any medium can provide a youth activity.

That said, we do miss the nuances when we do not see the shows live, as the human eye takes in more when the live action panorama is much larger than the largest TV screen and largest TV cameras available on the market.

But the thread topic has seemingly taken a detour lately. We are not being asked on this thread topic what we like in Show Design. ( that thread topic is available on here.. and in a number of places on here too). THIS topic is asking us what" Show Design tropes make us cringe ". I'm not sure Fred Windish's response ( which I agree with for what its worth ) provides us that from him. My guess, he likes it all ( which is fine ) but then he probably should have included his comments on a thread topic that was about Show Designs and/ or Show Design tropes that DCP'ers like.. not this one.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

Agreed. One of the loudest ever but Gino turned it down towards the end of season. 

Oh man... I worked an early-season show in MD from the press box that season... I had powder burns from Cadets' horn line that night.  LOL.

His two lines that season... Cadets and DCA's Buccaneers... could really turn up the heat.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... I worked an early-season show in MD from the press box that season... I had powder burns from Cadets' horn line that night.  LOL

Lol. Funny you say that because they were getting the reputation before that season of playing too soft for control purposes and the first show I saw them in early 2007 was so powerful. Reminded me of those glorious Spirit of Atlanta lines 78-80!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... I worked an early-season show in MD from the press box that season... I had powder burns from Cadets' horn line that night.  LOL.

His two lines that season... Cadets and DCA's Buccaneers... could really dial up the heat.

Gino has been working hard this off season in increasing the fortissimo levels of Boston's Brass line,  Fran, where the musical segment piece calls for emotion, confidence, and maximum fortissimo levels.  ( Gino also knows how to get his Brass lines to play soft passages well too, as I'm sure you know too, Fran. )

All that being said... back to the thread topic now, ie " Show Design tropes that make us cringe "..........

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

But the thread topic has seemingly taken a detour lately. We are not being asked on this thread topic what we like in Show Design. ( that thread topic is available on here.. and in a number of places on here too). THIS topic is asking us what" Show Design tropes make us cringe ". I'm not sure Fred Windish's response ( which I agree with for what its worth ) provides us that from him. My guess, he likes it all ( which is fine ) but then he probably should have included his comments on a thread topic that was about Show Designs and/ or Show Design tropes that DCP'ers like.. not this one.

OOOKay . . . . .

So my reply here is, as a television viewer, none of the "tropes" make me cringe.  However, I do want to point out the dichotomy show designers face.  The same production takes on an entirely different form, watching in an alternative way. For me, the television version is generally best.

:smile: