What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

9 hours ago, deftguy said:

Oh....can we ditch all of the set pieces as well...they are getting in the way of a good drill!

I'm not opposed to all set pieces, but I agree that many - most? - seem to add little or no value. (Again for me, those lamps? C'mon.) And I like deftguy's perspective that the pieces get in the way of smart, creative drill work. 

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I'm not opposed to all set pieces, but I agree that many - most? - seem to add little or no value. (Again for me, those lamps? C'mon.) And I like deftguy's perspective that the pieces get in the way of smart, creative drill work. 

Are you speaking of Blue Stars lamps or Blue Devils lamps? Neither shed any greater light on the show performance.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Are you speaking of Blue Stars lamps or Blue Devils lamps? Neither shed any greater light on the show performance.

I guess you had to turn a switch on to fully see the light ?  I can be so much in the dark, especially with shows described as " dark shows "

31 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Taxi cab doors. Possibly the all time worst. 

Yeah, those were uber bad.

• Like 2

As great as the music and performance of said music was for Cadets 2014, that stage, and its placement was one of the worst ideas I have ever seen.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

I find fast drill for the sake of fast drill to be lame and boring. 

It might be just me. But with really fast drills, I think I sometimes see a desperation from some members out on the field as they warp from spot to spot. It spoils any intended magic.

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

i understand your sentiment but I think this expression is void of meaning.

it's like saying "don't do difficult things because they're difficult".    marching, spinning and playing with excellence is difficult to do.  should performers not do that?  i mean -- i get there needs to be coherent design and things need to make sense.  but within ] that design is a range of choices from "easy" to "difficult".   corps try to maximize the "difficult" to score and place well.

anyway -- that expression is annoying.  corps and fans want  to see "do hard things because they're hard".  to say otherwise is just a bit ridiculous.  </soapbox>

4 hours ago, Kamarag said:

I think you are projecting here. I did not say "fast" drill, I said "GOOD" drill. Good can come at all speeds, but that misses my point. 

The skill of good marching and solid drill design is being supplanted by running to each set, plume bobs and cookie cutter body movement, and a profound focus on the movement of set pieces that sometimes have no relationship(or visually help) the show overall. I see this in both DCI and BOA.