What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

It might be just me. But with really fast drills, I think I sometimes see a desperation from some members out on the field as they warp from spot to spot. It spoils any intended magic.

Is that a drill problem, or the inability of the individual perform to meet the demand of the drill?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corpsband said:

i understand your sentiment but I think this expression is void of meaning.

it's like saying "don't do difficult things because they're difficult".    marching, spinning and playing with excellence is difficult to do.  should performers not do that?  i mean -- i get there needs to be coherent design and things need to make sense.  but within ] that design is a range of choices from "easy" to "difficult".   corps try to maximize the "difficult" to score and place well.

anyway -- that expression is annoying.  corps and fans want  to see "do hard things because they're hard".  to say otherwise is just a bit ridiculous.  </soapbox>

That's not what I said. At all. You're also assuming that all (or even most) fast drill is hard. It isn't. Not most of the time anyway.

40 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I get a lift from your humor.

I 've been around the block once or twice.

41 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

That's not what I said. At all. You're also assuming that all (or even most) fast drill is hard. It isn't. Not most of the time anyway.

Well..."fast for fast's sake" is what you said.  

I'd disagree with you about fast drill being "hard".  There's a point at which just keeping your feet in phase does physically become a struggle.  There are also some respiratory challenges -- create enough demand for oxygen and you'll have to breathe regardless of what the where the music is marked up to breathe :-)  

As I said -- I understand your intent here.   I just think that particular expression is wildly and inaccurately used.  

Drum corps is very much about doing hard #### because it's hard.  

So, did the trampolines not work out because they were too hard, or simply because they were not effective?

Did the side-by-side boxes not work because they were too hard, or simply because they were not effective?

To me, drum corps is not about doing hard things. It is about doing effective things with excellence. Sometimes hard things done excellently are effective. But sometimes, seemingly hard things, even if done at a high level, may still seem out of place and loose their effectiveness accordingly. I'm in Kamarag's corner on this one.

• Like 4

In my opinion, this statement about 'hard for hard's sake' is true regarding body movement during drum solos. spare me your 'simultaneous demand,' I get 0 interest out of snares rocking doing squats or that rocking back and forth thing. especially when, in certain corps case, they prioritize their drumline dancing when their solos aren't even clean.

fast drill though, is always great. I can't think of an instance where i saw drill performed well and thought 'gee, this drill is too complex/fast, it's making the show less effective.'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 31rabbit said:

I get 0 interest out of snares rocking doing squats or that rocking back and forth thing. especially when, in certain corps case, they prioritize their drumline dancing when their solos aren't even clean.

= Carolina Crown

On 4/14/2017 at 11:33 AM, cowtown said:

One thing I noticed last year, the voice or tone of the pre-recorded voice sounded very similar amongst a few corps. The stately old man with the affect accent, non-accent.  

Ah yes, Siri's grandfather may have run the course now that she has aged out on her podium;

But the noobie Alexa seems to be ready for the challenge UNTIL we all tire  of all the DMs and caption heads crowing,

"Alexa, give me an 8/7 tempo at 224 for letter G; Alexa, start the props' engines out on the far forty; Alexa, turn on the sprinklers to get that drum judge whenever he steps in front of the battery when they do that crab-stepping feature across from the thirty to thirty...      ...ad nauseum infinitum.

Edited by xandandl