What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

Too much stationary %$*) on the field.  And there is way too much of it, especially 2016.  If you want DCI on stage, go see Blast.

Themes for the sake of having a theme.

Excessive horn line body movement. 

Skin tight uniforms.  Unless you have a body of death it isn't flattering.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, corpsband said:

you mean Cadets and Cavaliers?

Crown finished 4th in the percussion caption last year in Indy.

Yeah, But Cadet's percussion is actually clean, even with the visuals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

Yeah, But Cadet's percussion is actually clean, even with the visuals.

then they would have finished higher, right?  and -- that staff has flown south now right?

imo Crown's perc is improving each year.  i don't care what anyone says -- finishing in front of two teams like Cadets and Cavies is a big step for them. I think they'll just keep moving forward under their current team.  Might be slow -- competition is brutal -- but it will happen.  one place at a time.  crown 3rd in perc this season?  who knows!  

8 hours ago, corpsband said:

then they would have finished higher, right?  and -- that staff has flown south now right?

imo Crown's perc is improving each year.  i don't care what anyone says -- finishing in front of two teams like Cadets and Cavies is a big step for them. I think they'll just keep moving forward under their current team.  Might be slow -- competition is brutal -- but it will happen.  one place at a time.  crown 3rd in perc this season?  who knows!  

You fail to note that Tom Aungst has left Crown and returned home to Cadets. You'd be great in Michigan or Washington for your cherry picking skills. I think all of us on DCP would agree with the truth of the embolded quote.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, corpsband said:

you mean Cadets and Cavaliers?

Crown finished 4th in the percussion caption last year in Indy.

(oops) 

tNlyfqM.png

Let's be honest, all the drumlines do it to some extent.

I said Crown because I felt that in 2015 the percussion feature early in the show was sooooooo heavy in the visuals and they played rather dirty during it, especially the snares...which for me took away from it's intent and lost appeal.

In regards to 2016...
Yes, they were 4th in the 3-day average (behind BD by 0.242 & ahead of The Cadets by 0.042). 

• Prelims: 6th in Ensemble / 5th on the Field - 5th Overall
  • Semis: 3rd in Ensemble / 4th on the Field - 4th Overall
  • Finals: 5th in Ensemble / 6th on the Field - 5th Overall

I wouldn't say they ran away with 4th place. Semis breakdown scores were interesting, CC went up 0.525 from Prelims to Semis and then down 0.275 from Semis to Finals. Taking out the Semis scores, Crown would have been 6th in the Prelims/Finals average. I actually have to give them credit, I saw them in ST and rep after rep after rep they couldn't play a 5 stroke roll clean, I was in complete shock...so good on them for what they were able to do by the end of the season. 

Yes, Crown has moved up in Percussion the past two years, 6th to 5th and 5th to 4th. However, 0 times have they averaged higher than 19.00 in Percussion the last 7 years.

BD & Bloo have 6 times / Cadets & SCV have 5 times / Cavs have 2 times / Phantom has 1 time / Crown has 0 times. 

• Like 2

I dunno...

Not all cliche is bad cliche...

Some shtick is good shtick... right Garfield? :innocent:

But what gets me the most and takes me out of it all is probably the use of "drama" in general.  Not the use of emotion... but the use of drama.  As if a multi-act play in 11 minute compression is unfolding.  Especially when it highlights only a few people (usually a couple of guard members)... and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY when it requires one of the uniformed (in the classical sense) horn/percussion members to play along... and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY when said uniformed members remove their hats/helmets to do so, as if to say "SURPRISE!!!! I'm an unnecessary character in a less necessary story!... okay on with the playing..."

I personally cringe my face inside out in those moments.  But I'm a biased hornliner from yesteryear... I have preferences and expectations that I can't shake.

Edited by cfirwin3
spelling
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

You fail to note that Tom Aungst has left Crown and returned home to Cadets. You'd be great in Michigan or Washington for your cherry picking skills. I think all of us on DCP would agree with the truth of the embolded quote.

conveniently left off the second half of that statement -- which i'll gladly restate:

Finishing in front of two teams like Cadets and Cavies is a big step for them.  And I will stand by that.  

Edited by corpsband

5 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Let's be honest, all the drumlines do it to some extent.

I said Crown because I felt that in 2015 the percussion feature early in the show was sooooooo heavy in the visuals and they played rather dirty during it, especially the snares...which for me took away from it's intent and lost appeal.

In regards to 2016...
Yes, they were 4th in the 3-day average (behind BD by 0.242 & ahead of The Cadets by 0.042). 

• Prelims: 6th in Ensemble / 5th on the Field - 5th Overall
  • Semis: 3rd in Ensemble / 4th on the Field - 4th Overall
  • Finals: 5th in Ensemble / 6th on the Field - 5th Overall

I wouldn't say they ran away with 4th place. Semis breakdown scores were interesting, CC went up 0.525 from Prelims to Semis and then down 0.275 from Semis to Finals. Taking out the Semis scores, Crown would have been 6th in the Prelims/Finals average. I actually have to give them credit, I saw them in ST and rep after rep after rep they couldn't play a 5 stroke roll clean, I was in complete shock...so good on them for what they were able to do by the end of the season. 

Yes, Crown has moved up in Percussion the past two years, 6th to 5th and 5th to 4th. However, 0 times have they averaged higher than 19.00 in Percussion the last 7 years.

BD & Bloo have 6 times / Cadets & SCV have 5 times / Cavs have 2 times / Phantom has 1 time / Crown has 0 times. 

And I don't think I said anything about running away with it.

As I said earlier -- steps forward.  The very nature of the competition is going to mean that sometimes  they may be small steps. I'm willing to be patient.  

12 minutes ago, corpsband said:

And I don't think I said anything about running away with it.

As I said earlier -- steps forward.  The very nature of the competition is going to mean that sometimes  they may be small steps. I'm willing to be patient.  

Please re-read...

• Like 1