Harrowing Hamilton - June 26th, 2017

3 minutes ago, Iloveband said:

Let's just talk about how much we all love band. 

I love all kinds of bands!

Even drum and bugle corps.

We sometimes act as if we have a monopoly on pretentious self-description.  But I bet that if you took a drive up the interstate from where I live to the University of Rochester's Eastman School of Music... and asked about the 'concert band'... the dirty looks (and maybe correcting comments) that you would get from wind ensemble aficionados would perfectly destroy every profane argument ever had on this forum about drum corps looking like "band".

We are a defensive bunch indeed.  But there are those in the world who are yet more self-absorbed than even us!

:innocent:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

For awhile there was talk about considering doing that with another brass instrument. If they lowered it down an octave, that might've done the trick. Glad ' Coats realized that it needed changing, and changed it. Wonder how it sounded ?

Someone said that it was much improved... but that there still may have been some balance issues (not sure if that is a reference to the solo or to the ensemble mic setup... which was the other component being critiqued right now).?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It sounded better ... not cringeworthy anymore ... but not perfect. I suspect it is still a work in progress.

Minor criticism on Bluecoats, that otherwise have an out of this world total package show ... Sometimes their brass solos arn't particularly my favorite music arrangements with those brass solos.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Oh no... not the DCI conspiracy and politics angle about to revisit the DCP board. I had hoped that stuff was gone.

Like I said, it'd be naive to think it isn't at least a little present with today's judges. (DISCLAIMER: I'm not talking about any American politic stuff, just politics between the corps)

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Minor criticism on Bluecoats, that otherwise have an out of this world total package show ... Sometimes their brass solos arn't particularly my favorite music arrangements with those brass solos.

Sometimes the "improvisatory-sounding" solos in drumcorps (not just Bluecoats) shows don't seem to go anywhere... they just kind of hover around a narrow pitch collection.  But the biggest problem with this is when you generate an instrumental solo rendition of a vocal solo source (that just kind of hovers around a narrow pitch collection).

What do you do with that?  Do you be faithful... or do you +1 that sucker into something more interesting on an instrument?...

Questions that may need an answer.

39 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Oh no... not the DCI conspiracy and politics angle about to revisit the DCP board. I had hoped that stuff was gone.

Sure you did.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sure you did.

lol!

3 hours ago, emc2 said:

BAC also has the one from two years ago in the guard.

I thought she had aged out.  Wonder if the staff ever considered a duet if their voices could harmonize which would probably require a major change in the story.  Never mind that guy behind the curtain.

I like the Bluecoats show but two issues for me.

1. To me it's just too much like Downside Up part 2, it's fun to watch but not capturing the magic it did for me last year.

2. After my second live viewing I think I can safely say that I do NOT like the mic'd up ballad when they're facing the backfield. Granted tonight they had a big oops with the electronics and it suddenly got cranked WAY up half way through and it just sounded distorted.

Highlights of the night for me were Troopers Nessun Dorma, Boston's entire show was LIT, and Crown brass being worth the price of admission on their own!

All around it was a fantastic show, nice crowd tonight, and my ears are ringing from sitting in the second row on the 50 but that's how I like my drum corps!

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I thought she had aged out.  Wonder if the staff ever considered a duet if their voices could harmonize which would probably require a major change in the story. 

I thought she had aged out too. In any event, a duet there wouldn't be advisable,.. and for the very reason you just cited.