Corps at the Crest - San Diego

41 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Mandarins nearly two pointed The Academy.  

Amazing... I have to admit.. never saw this coming in the preseason.

• Like 1

To highlight what an interesting/crazy season this will likely be, 

Based on tonight's scores, more points separate Pacific Crest from Mandarins than Mandarins from Phantom Regiment.     Yowzers.   Let that sink in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

To highlight what an interesting/crazy season this will likely be, 

Based on tonight's scores, more points separate Pacific Crest from Mandarins than Mandarins from Phantom Regiment.     Yowzers.   Let that sink in.

Mandarins topped Phantom Regiment in Guard tonite too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Weird to see regiment doing better in visual than music when compared to other corps. 

First two thirds of the show don't make sense and aren't interesting, but at the end it works better. It's going to be a long season for them.

• Like 2

Quick Thoughts...

Gold - Solid. Best brass sound I've heard from them. 

Mandarins - Surprise of the season (kinda like Academy last year). I had no idea what to expect out of their show and had not seen any videos. The whole thing felt kind of like BD lite, in a good way. Super enjoyable music, Sound of Silence arrangement was awesome! Guard stole the show for me, most of the drill didn't keep my attention. In fact, the demand seemed kind of low... I can see this show peaking early. 

PC - Fun show and I really enjoy their music arrangements this year. Way bigger brass presence than last year. The pit was way too loud, however. 

Academy - Another show I had not seen video of. TBH, it felt too over done. Last year worked because it was simple. By A Hare felt like the same idea over and over... They sell it, and the demand is there. I can see this being a late season dark horse. 

BK - Favorite show of the night, by far. The music actually made me tear up... beautiful arrangements. I dug the sound FX snare/mello solos. There was definitely some 'huh?' moments, but over all they're back on track. And like others mentioned, holy cow we're they LOUD! Louder than PR and SCV despite not having mics. Once this show cleans up I can see it moving up a rank or two. In fact I had them much more than >1 point from PR.

PR - I'll admit, it was better than I was expecting. But it put me into that "why?" mode where I don't like the design and I just keep asking why this why that... 10-12th come finals..  really not digging the 'mic the whole corps' thing... especially since in the first minute the mics weren't turned up, then after the first impact the sound board guy cranked and all of a sudden the horn line was twice as loud. Another issue with the mics is that any form that had front to back field depth created unbalanced horn amplification... The horns up front are already louder because they're closer, and now they're also closer to the microphones... uhg... this is becoming a very slippery slope of microphoning. 

SCV - My favorite SCV show since Ballad for Martha. The 12 horns with wireless microphones are just as loud as the 76 member hornline... It's a little disheartening knowing the most of the difficult music is isolated to the wireless mic's brass that don't march. There's some crazy demand in this show. I'm not a fan of their costuforms... It works for bloo because they are more lighthearted and show a lot of facial expression.. With SCV they're the typical stern hard face and it's just awkward without aussies. The tipsy section didn't make much sense and all the scatter drill felt amateur compared to the rest of the show. I love how they use the props in so many different ways! I can see this show medaling. 

Agree, disagree? let me know. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, ComeHomeShane said:

SCV - I'm not a fan of their costuforms... It works for bloo because they are more lighthearted and show a lot of facial expression.. With SCV they're the typical stern hard face and it's just awkward without aussies.

Thank you for actually having a reason behind your opinion other than "ITZ NOT TRADITION THEYRE UNIFORMS SUCK". This is not something I had considered. I appreciate that they are evolving with the times, but the performance value of facial expressions has not been something to take too heavily into consideration on the field until now.  I imagine those that are experienced or involved in WGI are probably better at this than those who are not.

• Like 1

Delayed reaction for SCV (was going to post earlier but was catching up with alumni for too long):

This show is very solid right now. I love the way the props are used in so many different ways - those things are very versatile. I was concerned that the mic'd performers would take most of the demanding music away from the rest of the hornline, but that is definitely not the case.

I'm planning on a slight review with some pictures tomorrow, when it's old news...

Sorry, lots of stressful driving today.

• Like 1