Visual Schmizual

I think about it like film production.  Bernard Herrmann would say that a good musical score makes the sequence of film seem inevitable.  I think that you can say the same thing about the visual and musical relationship here.  There really is a wide variety of possibilities to choose from when designing the production.  Just like in film, you can have great visual content and a mediocre score and it will work, provided that they are mutually supportive (and vice versa).  The great designs have packages that are independently captivating and yet vastly more impactful by operating symbiotically... causing each other to be inevitable.

It's not about what you are doing, so much as it is about the phenomenology of what is happening.

Why are the Bluecoats allowed to violate MOST of the gripes that purists make... and yet win the support of most purists?

They put the experience ahead of the method.

• Like 4

For drum corps Visual, I dwell on basic elements. Actions displaying accuracy and perfection within concepts I already understand. The obvious, the tried and true, the incontrovertible. Evaluations that engage my OWN eyes in judgment. I want to participate, too !

Straight lines

Smooth curves

Equal spacing

Standard shapes

Uniform height

Consistent velocity

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Tough to do.

Yup... thats the " long and the short of it "

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Right you are.  We can't all be Rockettes!

Even if we were the right height and could dance like Fed Astaire. (.. haha)

Edited by BRASSO

57 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I think about it like film production.  Bernard Herrmann would say that a good musical score makes the sequence of film seem inevitable.

Off-topic for a moment, but here's an interesting video about why some movie scores lately are so forgettable:

• Like 1

Thinking about this a bit more...

It seems to me that the nature of the question itself may be an indicator of the 'trap' that design teams fall into.

Rather than asking "what is good visual/musical design"... and then proceeding with a grocery list of methods or tricks... (Like having a singer because of the novelty that it brings).

It is probably better to ask "what would be exciting, energizing and emotional"... and then proceeding by any and all means useful to that end... (like having a singer because of the additive, supportive, role that it plays in meeting the audience objective).  If that can't be done, then don't do it.

Is it a means to an end (good design)... or is the means THE end (risky, likely poor design)?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Off-topic for a moment, but here's an interesting video about why some movie scores lately are so forgettable:

Much more relevant than you may realize.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Right you are.  We can't all be Rockettes!

The Holy Name Band from West Roxbury, MA, back in the 60's, had an all male CG and they had to be at least 6' tall.  Very impressive watching them coming down the street.

• Like 1