Are judges fans?

Are judges fans?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Does the judging outcome reflect the heartfelt convictions of the fans?

• Yes
    • No

As Fred pointed out, the judges are fans otherwise they wouldn't be doing this. There have been several interviews were they say that they are fans. 

Do the winning corps deserve to win? Based on the sheets that they have to work off of, I think the judges do get it right 99.9% of the time. I'm not saying they are perfect but on the whole I think they get it right. Though there are things that are subjective at this high level.

If the judges followed fan convictions, BD for example would not have won many times. The average fan in the stands looks at these shows differently (or not to the detailed level) than what is on the judges sheet.

3 minutes ago, westcoastblue said:

This.

The question is "loaded"as they say.

When I judge, I go into judges mode. I think about the sheets, how I am going to put groups into each box, where in each box, etc. I am a fan in that incident that I want to be entertained; I want to enjoy it and reward it, to see the members confident and enjoying it. 

When an audience member, not judging, I am not in judges mode. I just want to be entertained and not responsible for justifying rank and rate. 

This.

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

OMG we are Brothers!

Ha!  If that's the criteria by which we are related... then you and I have a HUGE family.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

Ha!  If that's the criteria by which we are related... then you and I have a HUGE family.

R-653704-1145476092.jpeg.jpg

7 minutes ago, westcoastblue said:

This.

The question is "loaded"as they say.

When I judge, I go into judges mode. I think about the sheets, how I am going to put groups into each box, where in each box, etc. I am a fan in that incident that I want to be entertained; I want to enjoy it and reward it, to see the members confident and enjoying it. 

When an audience member, not judging, I am not in judges mode. I just want to be entertained and not responsible for justifying rank and rate. 

Well, I would HOPE that it's not 'loaded' in that it indicates the 'heartfelt convictions' of fans... This IS an adjudication.  Fans are always judging GE in composition and execution, if you get my meaning.  The appeal and conviction is a judgement... otherwise one couldn't answer the question.

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Well, I would HOPE that it's not 'loaded' in that it indicates the 'heartfelt convictions' of fans... This IS an adjudication.  Fans are always judging GE in composition and execution, if you get my meaning.  The appeal and conviction is a judgement... otherwise one couldn't answer the question.

I think understand where you are coming from. How I feel in the stands based on the show, the performance that night, my past feelings for that unit and all the bias that may bring is an adjudication of sorts, but not one I have to justify to anyone- other fans, the members, the staff, other corps. I always have corps I like better than others that I would not necessarily "score" higher. 

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

How do you reconcile that with your answer to the poll question?

The judges are fans.

They don't adjudicate in a way that meets fan convictions.

Winning corps deserve to win.

I'm not sure that those things are all compatible.

Judges are fans, imo

The judges judge Corps according to the sheets the Corps themselves approved and gave to them to judge all these Corps.

Winning Corps ( generally ) deserve " to win " . The " winning Corps " may or may not be the fans ( nor the judges ) favorite, most entertaining Corps or Corps. Sometimes, even excellence in show design and performance can leave fans ( and judges ) unfulfilled re. personal enjoyment levels. This does not mean however such a Corps did not deserve " to win " under the established and agreed too judging captions format.  Thus,  I don't quite see what is " incompatible " here with drummergirl's reply.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

The judges are certainly fans. Why would they devote years of their lives to the activity otherwise?

And in general, the shows that win are popular shows. They may not always be the most popular in a given year, but a show that is a complete loser with the audience is often also a loser on the sheets. Especially in the last few years. I don't see how you can interpret Bloo's win last year as anything other than the GE caption giving a ton of credit for a show that was extremely engaging and entertaining.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

And in general, the shows that win are popular shows. 

50-50, imo. Some years, the DCI Champion is a big favorite with audiences, other times one of the fan favorites with audiences,  but other times an appreciative but not a " lovable " Champion with their show that season with many in the national audiences. Bluecoats were a hit with judges and most fans alike in 2016 however, imo.

Edited by BRASSO