Are some Corps losing their identity?

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

This whole discussion reminded me of this quip from G.K. Chesteron:

“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes being corrected.”

If only life in the modern world was a simple as the division of mankind into just 2 groups, each with a clearly and neatly defined ,universally accepted definition of " Progressives " and " Conservatives .".. ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

You could have this same discussion every decade and their would always be grumps. The activity changes, the culture changes, and yes, the corps change with that. This is a good thing and I would argue all of the world class corps still have an identity, especially the elites. Those identities may have changed a lot over recent years (Bloo's reinvention starting with music and moving to full design and culture of the corps), but they still have an identity and arguably stronger than ever. 

This is discussed a lot in the 2017 uniform thread.  Here are my thoughts.

1. It's not about the uniform anyway.  It's crazy that a lot of corps waited until long after their show reveal to do the uniform reveal.  I thought this was about the performance and not the uniform?

2. I think SCVs uniforms are well done.  Maybe they look different up close but from a distance it's still 100 percent them. 

3. Lightweight uniforms are smart. The drum corps season is on the heat of summer and traditional uniforms are designed for fall/winter.

4. It's nice to see corps stick to their traditional look in color and design so you know who they are... especially color schemes and logos.  In the end the show is more important.

In short...I would like to see corps stick to their colors and general look but that is a very small part in the identity and I definitely wouldn't go as far as to say uniform changes make groups loose their identity. 

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Are you saying BD no longer has a distinct sound? SMH! 

I am saying that the identity of BD was ‘The Jazz Corps’.  Now they are ‘The Metaorphing, Constantly Absurd, sort of not Inky DaDa but Felliniesque Dreamy, and kind of re-right of Springy, who lost my Deep Soul Jazz Identity Corps”.

Fortunately, the brass 'sound' has not changed due to the consistency of the die hard Downey Meehan BD staff who have been downright loyal to BD instead of jumping on the DCI staff Merrie-Go-Round.

Edited by Stu

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am saying that the identity of BD was ‘The Jazz Corps’.  Now they are ‘The Metaorphing, Constantly Absurd, sort of not Inky DaDa but Felliniesque Dreamy, and kind of re-right of Springy, who lost my Deep Soul Jazz Identity Corps”.

Fortunately, the brass 'sound' has not changed due to the consistency of the die hard Downey Meehan BD staff who have been downright loyal to BD instead of jumping on the DCI staff Merrie-Go-Round.

Sure, except they've been playing jazz pretty much every year.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Sure, except they've been playing jazz pretty much every year.

Compare the true ‘Big-Band’ arranging style from the 70’s – 90’s BD had to the ‘Chop-Shop’ arranging of post Y2k.  Most of this is due to how show design was/is constructed.  The pre Y2k designs allowed for the visual to be driven by the musical composition (which lends itself to staying true with Big-Band arranging); whereas the post Y2k designs force the musical sounds to be completely driven by the visual (which lends itself to Chop-Shop arranging).  Also, the wild absurd attempt at dada experimental progressing the art form education the fan directions BD has taken as of late pulls the corps even farther into losing their Big-Band identity.  That is what I meant.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Compare the true ‘Big-Band’ arranging style from the 70’s – 90’s BD had to the ‘Chop-Shop’ arranging of post Y2k.  Most of this is due to how show design was/is constructed.  The pre Y2k designs allowed for the visual to be driven by the musical composition (which lends itself to staying true with Big-Band arranging); whereas the post Y2k designs force the musical sounds to be completely driven by the visual (which lends itself to Chop-Shop arranging).  Also, the wild absurd attempt at dada experimental progressing the art form education the fan directions BD has taken as of late pulls the corps even farther into losing their Big-Band identity.  That is what I meant.

Devils were playing non-big band forms of jazz and jazz-related music thirty years ago. There really isn't a year they didn't play any jazz at all. 

11 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Devils were playing non-big band forms of jazz and jazz-related music thirty years ago. There really isn't a year they didn't play any jazz at all. 

Compare the arranging of Happy Days are Here Again of 1988 to the Happy Days are Here Again arrangement of 2009.

Compare the arranging of Blue Light Red Light of 1992 to anything in the 2012 show.

That is what I am referring to as losing an Identity.

• Like 1

tradition for the sake of tradition in drum corps is going away, and i'm ok with that, because for too long DCi tried to be modern and cool, yet clinging to the past to appease those of previous eras.....it created a mixed jumble that ultimately left neither camp happy. As the corps venture into the more...daring for lack of a better term...realm of choices, you again have two camps...love it or crying about it.

The thing is, the game has changed, and the activity was ready to take that next bold step. Just as the old guard girl boots and satin tops on the corps died off 40 years ago, now the traditional uniform is going by the way side, with corps being creatively more free to pick that which fits their show. Most do a really good job of tying some traditions in without beating one over the head with it. Some venture further out there. I say as crowds are growing again, we keep seeing newer corps...go for it. I only wish DCA had the balls to do the same thing

Edited by Jeff Ream
spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Compare the arranging of Happy Days are Here Again of 1988 to the Happy Days are Here Again arrangement of 2009.

Compare the arranging of Blue Light Red Light of 1992 to anything in the 2012 show.

That is what I am referring to as losing an Identity.

yet I a lowly drummer, can pick out BD's brass just from the sound....so obviously some things didnt change as much as you think