Are some Corps losing their identity?

3 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

well at least 2 corps are marching parades today in shorts and t shirts...

The nudists might object, but I'm ok with the attire choice.

29 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Is the identity just the look, or is it more?

BD identity was 'The Jazz Corps'. No more.

The distinct sound identity from Shaw and Rennick was PR, now it is SCV.

Crown adopted the Star Van Doren sound.

So how can we say in all honesty that corps keep their own identities?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

BD identity was 'The Jazz Corps'. No more.

The distinct sound identity from Shaw and Rennick was PR, now it is SCV.

Crown adopted the Star Van Doren sound.

So how can we say in all honesty that corps keep their own identities?

Are you saying BD no longer has a distinct sound? SMH! 

I've thought about this question a little mainly because I may have had a little to do with some changes over the years in the activity. So trying to separate myself a bit I do think we have had alot of change as far as the approach to how we look.and how much we will deviate from the norm or traditional , how much the corps proper will take on more of a role on theme, ( or not ). With that said, I've looked at several corps who have changed and would I know who they were and for me it's wasn't very hard , jmo . .

Troopers-. easy to see imo

BD - sound style and even look, it may not be the shako and ruffle  shirt and open jacket of the past but easy to see BD

PR- changes over the past years were minimal but even when drastic , no denying it's PR..imo

Cadets- color change of last year, color out of the usual added, even this year. I still think it screams Cadets

Boston- different this year? yes, many changes? yes still Boston in several ways ,I think so

Cavies- changes? Yes. All Cavies, how could one not see it imo

Madison..ok they took it far this year .

I guess what I'm saying is YES there has been change BUT. Does it work? do some like it or some don't, sure, Is it different than what many are used to. YES. At the core are many still who they are. I think so, imo

No debate needed , JMO...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

This thread is about Corps " losing their identity, or not ? "... but a broader thread is whether or not the Drum & Bugle Corps genre is ( or already has ) " lost its identity ". But I do understand such a broader discussion  is beyond the nature and scope of this ( by design ) limiting thread question on the part of the OP.

I suppose to marchers, the answer to the question posed here by the OP is a decidedly.. " no ". The " correct " answer too, imo.  While the answer from fans would be " yes ".... ": no " .. or " maybe ".... and with all three responses of equal value opinion as well, in my view.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I posted some thoughts about music selection, here, that are a corollary to this question.

Meanwhile, it seems to me there are crucial distinctions to make about "identity."

There is the identity in the eyes and hearts of fans, and alums. This type of identity includes a heavy dose of nostalgia.

Then there is the identity in the eyes and hearts of those who matter more than anyone else: the marching members. The ones paying the money. The ones devoting a year of their lives and limited eligibility to a corps. To them, identity is personal: Who do I want to march with? This question has very little nostalgia associated with it. This type of identity includes a heavy dose of cool. This is not to say current MMs do not appreciate history; it is to say that even corps with rich history must provide a contemporary experience. And this, I think, has everything to do with show design. If the corps does not exude enough of a cool factor in its design, youth won't sign up for it. A viable, financially stable and competitive junior drum and bugle corps first must appeal to today's youth on whatever terms they demand, before it can worry about preserving heritage and identity.   

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

I welcome change.  I embrace it with abandon. 

A corps is identified by what their program and look is this season. 

• Like 1

This whole discussion reminded me of this quip from G.K. Chesteron:

“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes being corrected.”

• Like 2

It does look like traditional uniforms are quickly becoming a thing of the past.  Drum corps continues to depart from its military roots as it evolves into its own entity.  

Though I miss the traditional, more formal uniforms, I'm not sure I'd want to ditch the yearly, show-inspired custom looks that more and more corps are adopting.  

The activity is changing. I will adapt!

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1