Are some Corps losing their identity?

I have to agree with what so many have already said that each corps has a distinctive sound that sets them apart. 

Question: If the Bluecoats decided that next year they were going back to their traditional blue coats and shakos what kind of reaction would fans and other corps have then ? I think we give one corps too much power. These other organizations followed suit and they didn't have to yet BC gets all the fingers pointed at them. The bigger question is why did they follow ? 

It could have been that several corps wanted to make the change but they didn't want to be the first so when BC did it there was collective sigh of relief. 

Uniforms do define a corps and tradition and set them apart from other activities. I get it. I love the smell of grass,valve oil and polyester in the morning. But what really defines this activity for me is the level of musical and execution on the field that you can't find anywhere else on the planet. That is the tradition corps and fans such hold the most dear.When they start watering down books and playing 11 minutes of Britney Spears I may have a problem. 

Not to down play anyones feelings on this subject. IMHO these young people are doing amazing things on the field and that is what I want to focus on. Being positive and highlighting the good things happening in corps. 

• Like 1

Drum corps is monkey see monkey do. Identity what about integrity? Crown changed their ending last season; pressure from the judges. Didn't help their placement now did it. Ruined what was a great spaghetti western ending of revenge. The irony being that the guard is tossing rifles around like the Marines.

The list of sell outs grows every season almost to the point whereas half of these corps wouldn't make BOA finals these days. 

The success of BD has been their version of drum corps. Bluecoats are now doing the same with their version of drum corps, which is the most entertaining production on the field. Crown did for years too with fresh new themes, remember RockStar. SCV maintains a sense of elegance in all their productions. Did the Troopers really need to abandon their Ohio11th Calvary look?

Now you can almost count on when the concert French horn will come out or the trombones. Waiting on the electronic bend. Certainly there must be a singer where's the singer(s). Standing on one leg and the list of body movements is endless. Similar costumes, flags, props, drill designs and of course we need robotic drummers. If I had a dollar for every parade formation I see during a show I could get my hair done everyday. 

Being original is a risk. Being like everyone else is boring. Beg to be different. Challenge yourself to be original. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 3

When the Staff Merrie-Go-Round was built the various DCI corps' began going down the road of losing their identities.  Now that it is the most popular ride in DCI show designs have become rather homogenized; so the only real noticeable differences between many corps today are name, uniform, and to some extent quality (in that the top corps are very close in quality so the quality difference do not easily materialize until well down the totem pole).  And it seems that the trend now is to lose the identity of the uniform.  So yeah, many corps certainly are losing their unique identity.

10 hours ago, bluesman said:

.  Last year Cavaliers lost their traditional look and this year both Santa Clara and Scouts are no longer wearing anything that makes them recognizable. Are these dramatic changes an attempt to move up in the ranks? 

Yes. No doubt about it, imo.

And it appears to be working in that respect. All 3 Corps you mention here are ahead in the rankings of where they were last year at this tiime. All 3 will probably finish higher than where they placed last season, imo. So, like it or not, thats the reality, my friend.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Yes. Particularly among the elite DCI corps, where financing, sponsorships come into play at a higher level. I think we've entered the era of ANNUAL new performance wear. Some for thematic support, others just to keep up with the current trend.  Really, this was one of the final frontiers,. . . . full costuming.  I'm OK with this development, actually.

This will NOT be the last frontier, I'm sure.  Sometime soon, we'll see FULL instrumentation including woodwinds. I also expect special effect lighting with lasers, spotlights, etc. Ultimately, the entire activity moving indoors with each corps having more than one traveling company. 

19 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Ultimately, the entire activity moving indoors with each corps having more than one traveling company. 

The Championships are already " indoor " ( domed stadiums ). I don't see these 155 member ensembles moving away from football stadiums however. There are not enough indoor, non football fields, to accommodate units in performance this large. So I don't envision this ever happening down the road anyway. I do agree with you however that the woodwinds will be added soon. I see no reason to disallow them anymore, frankly.

Edited by BRASSO

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The Championships are already " indoor " ( domed stadiums ). I don't see these 155 member ensembles moving away from football stadiums however. There are not enough indoor, non football fields, to accommodate units in performance this large. So I don't envision this ever happening down the road anyway. I do agree with you however that the woodwinds will be added soon. I see no reason to disallow them anymore, frankly.

I don't want to get the "identity" aspect off the rails, so I'll stop with this clarification. What I envision are separate corps (each with 60-75 performers) appearing on hockey-size floors. There are plenty of those sites within driving distance.

Again, and I know you realize this, changes to this activity will NEVER end. 

• Like 1

Is the identity just the look, or is it more? I think the answer depends on the corps. Let's say the Kilties still competed as junior corps, and they appeared in Arabian themed uniforms, performing a show titled "An Evening with Schoenberg" we might rightfully conclude they are facing an identity crisis. However, when I heard Crown last night, from the show's beginning I heard that powerful crisp, clear sound I associate them though the look was different. I stopped by a rehearsal for BAC just before they left on tour. I only heard a fraction of the show, they were not in uniform, and I know lots of new folks are instructing, but it sounded and felt like BAC.

i personally love the more traditional uniforms and hope they'll make a revival and they could. Changing uniforms every year is costly and budget constraints often drive decisions. However, uniforms alone do not determine identity. There are the intangibles too. For example, Cadets in 2011 and 2012 did not have their traditional uniforms but I never felt I was not seeing the Cadets. I was meh on the black uniforms when the change came in mid 2015, but it still felt Cadets. 2016 I wondered who was on the field, but was it due to the show or the look? I know I put some blame on the look, but it was probably more the show. 

One of the things we need to remember--corps are not judged on identity. In 2012, Troopers had a disappointing year, but they looked like Troopers, sounded like Troopers, had a theme that was Troopers, but the musical selections and movement did not sell the show and the marching members didn't seem convinced. People claimed they lost their identity. In 2013, Troopers had a classic show with all the typical Troopers bells and whistles, yes it better fit the identity of the Troopers, but it was also better designed and executed.

20 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

What I envision are separate corps (each with 60-75 performers) appearing on hockey-size floors.  

Some Corps today already have their organizations represented in outdoor DCI competitions, and indoor WGI competitions, and have in some cases for over 30 years. Are you predicting that DCI Corps will subdivide into smaller ensembles and move ALL their competing units indoors,  and onto hockey size floors ? If so, I don't envision that ever happening.

Edited by BRASSO

This is where this is all probably headed. :... in 20 years, units will be competing with woodwinds, and the Carolina Crown Alumni/ Reunion Corps will perform in exhibition at a couple of shows and the dinos will love it, the yet unborn of today will love it too, but many of the newbies then will most likely say/ think :  " well,  I like their sound a little bit, but its outdated and archaic as, lets face it, this old foggie Carolina Crown marching band is playing with only half the instruments , and this really limits them in what they can do in performance ".

Edited by BRASSO