Mics on the field to amp the whole corps vs the pit or a soloist. Need some perspective

Hi everyone,

Been watching corps since 92 and haven't missed seeing at least one west coast show. Despite my lack of posts a few on here can vouch for my knowledge and understanding. I've had the pleasure of seeing 3 world championships 2004, 2006, 2007 and I wanted to get a consensus on something I saw, to my knowledge, for the first time. It was seeing about 5-8 mics on the front sideline of the field to amplify the entire corps. I know we have all had many discussions with pros, cons and different P.O.V.'s, but I must say I lost something watching things this year and wanted to just get everyone's personal though good or bad on this new direction. This isn't a discussion on who is using them its a discussion on that they are and what you think about it. For me I really didn't understand the need to amp the whole corps(horns/drums). I can understand the need to bring forth the sound of a soloist or even use technology to make instruments sound different (aka Cavaliers Tuba's and Blue Knights Snare solo). My issue was that I was not feeling the corps through their natural sound and I was hearing it either mixed or primarily through speakers. Have we gotten to a point where we only need a small group of horns and a huge color guard cause the corps is going to be amp'd anyways?  Should I feel the need to go to a live show when it will sound the same through my awesome home stereo system via YouTube? I'm a bit conflicted on this and this is why I have started the thread. Hoping to get some different point of views to understand what I am feeling in a different way. 

• Like 1

Its a good thread topic.. and thanks for deciding to post again, after being a member of DCP for so many years.

Personally, I have no concern with amping a soloist, duet, or trio. As a matter of fact, I prefer it.. as it enhances the sound with the distance to my seat in a live attendance, and on my computer, it sounds wonderful as well.

I does become more complicated for me however when Corps begin to amplify larger Corps sections, or even entire sections. Also, I can only imagine how difficult the judges assessments must be from the distant box now when they are being asked to discern the unamplified, from the amplified. It does change the dynamic, and so as this further evolves it will be interesting to see where this all goes in the future. Anyway, those are my brief comments on this. I decided to purposefully keep my comments brief on this in order to see what others thoughts on this are, DT.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

good post -

when done well, the effect is moderately pleasing - especially if there is some sound tricks like stereo left to right effects -

when not done well, it just sound muddy -

I'm disappointed that it's becoming default to mic soloists - even when it's not needed - a good screamer or soloist should be able to project over the ensemble if the arrangements are logical and the pit isn't wailing too loud and the hornline/battery gives the screamers room - 

now singers of course need to be mic'd properly - I have no problem with that - ;)

Edited by Polonius
  • Like 1

Glad this issue has been placed open for discussion. Thank you.

I find the practice of using mics for the full brass line, or anything more than 6-8 players, to be a serious error. REPULSIVE, actually. This unnecessary device is what will drive me away after a half-century of dedicated support.

When you mic the whole group, this all becomes drum corps LIP-SYNCHING. Yuck!

• Like 7

DCI just needs to let go of silly tradition and catch up to the rest of the entertainment world by having the brass/perc players and singers lip-sync/finger-sync to recordings so that they can jump, jiggle, run, roll, squat, fiop-fish, tai chi, etc.. to their hearts content. Sure would make the 'it is all about the visual' cohort estatic.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Glad this issue has been placed open for discussion. Thank you.

I find the practice of using mics for the full brass line, or anything more than 6-8 players, to be a serious error. REPULSIVE, actually. This unnecessary device is what will drive me away after a half-century of dedicated support.

Could be worse. They could be singing instead. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Polonius said:

good post -

when done well, the effect is moderately pleasing - especially if there is some sound tricks like stereo left to right effects -

when not done well, it just sound muddy -

I'm disappointed that it's becoming default to mic soloists - even when it's not needed - a good screamer or soloist should be able to project over the ensemble if the arrangements are logical and the pit isn't wailing too loud and the hornline/battery gives the screamers room - 

now singers of course need to be mic'd properly - I have no problem with that - ;)

• Like 1

the original rule was soloists and small ensembles could get a mic

when did this change to allow the entire brass line?

if you are doing something funky with the sound, that is acceptable.  Just a mic to get more volume is horrible.  Why not just use 1 person per part and mic them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

:worthy: Well said Bama Boy.

Of course, nothing on a football field needs to be amplified out of a microphone. 

Just because you can, doesn't need you should.

It's like the entire new wave of these theatrical WGI transfers don't know what to do with themselves unless they're screwing around and frantically trying to fix something that's not broke!

They've lost me for sure. I'm really not interested in all the "Marching Broadway Musical Theater" nonsense, but I always attend Atlanta or San Antonio every Summer. (Mainly for the local tourist attractions) DCI is just a fairly interesting "Something to Do" while in town, but I'm always curious to see just how far these clowns will bring Drum Corps from what it used to be that had me hooked. 

Used to be like going to an LSU vs Alabama football game, now it's like attending a Golf or Tennis match. 

Edited by LSU GRAD 82
  • Like 3