VOICE OVERS

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Annoying, I can understand due to the brash nature of the show, but offensive? thats a bit much.

While they are rare, I can cite DCI shows as far back as Suncoast's Vietnam (political) to the recent Crusaders Core of Temptation (sexual) that did in fact 'offend' a number of people in the audience. Bluecoats used a voice over that cursed early in the season for Creep and it was quickly dropped.. A person might scoff at that and think those fans should just get over it, but there have been a few shows that went beyond anoyance into the offensive.

Edited by Stu

10 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

You...you have seen drum corps pre-2004 right?

LOL!   Yeah, I was watching drum corps when you were in diapers Hroth.  It's better now in every possible way except cost.  Period

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, Stu said:

While they are rare, I can cite DCI shows as far back as Suncoast's Vietnam (political) to the recent Crusaders Core of Temptation (sexual) that did in fact 'offend' a number of people in the audience. Bluecoats used a voice over that cursed early in the season for Creep and it was quickly dropped.. A person might scoff at that and think those fans should just get over it, but there have been a few shows that went beyond anoyance into the offensive.

So when I see statements like this I wonder: what was the number of offended people?  You say it is a fact.  So there must have been a measurement in some manner? Was it a  poll?  Yelp replies?  I get dropping a curse word, that's quite definitive; it is gone, no longer in the voiceover.  But you have specific knowledge of offended people so how did you come to know this?  was it a specific audience or are you speaking of audiences in general?

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

So when I see statements like this I wonder: what was the number of offended people?  You say it is a fact.  So there must have been a measurement in some manner? Was it a  poll?  Yelp replies?  I get dropping a curse word, that's quite definitive; it is gone, no longer in the voiceover.  But you have specific knowledge of offended people so how did you come to know this?  was it a specific audience or are you speaking of audiences in general?

There were a lot of discussions that turned into downright bickering at most every contest Suncoast performed their Vietnam show. Note that it was only a mere 10 or so years after the actual conflict had ended which 'tore' I mean really 'tore' people apart.  In the eighties, Vets who served in Nam were still getting spit at by anti-Nam people, and the term 'baby killer' was still a phrase in our venaculer. Are there academic case studies giving direct numbers of people offended? Of course not. But most of those who were there for those shows can attest to the outright tension it elicited in the stands.

Edited by Stu

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

There were a lot of cheers and boos and and bickering at every contest Suncoast performed their Vietnam show. It was only a mere 10 or so years after the actual conflict had ended which 'tore' I mean really 'tore' people apart.  In the eighties Vets who served in Nam were still getting spit on by anti-Nam people, and the term 'baby killer' was still a phrase in our venaculer. Are there academic case studies giving direct numbers of people offended? Of course not. But most of those who were there for those shows can attest to the outright tension it elicited in the stands.

I guess there was.  I didn't get offended but it was the first show that ever made me think about what was being performed as a message more than mere entertainment.  If that makes any sense.

1 minute ago, LabMaster said:

I guess there was.  I didn't get offended but it was the first show that ever made me think about what was being performed as a message more than mere entertainment.  If that makes any sense.

Place it in this context: DCI was still in an early era where many alumni setting in the stands had performed for years and years under the banner of the VFW. Does that kind of give you more perspective as to why many were offended?

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Place it in this context: DCI was still in an early era where many alumni setting in the stands had performed for years and years under the banner of the VFW. Does that kind of give you more perspective as to why many were offended?

It does, but I didn't read it as a negative with the sense that is was a criticism of a vet.  But I get your point.  And it doesn't matter how I perceived it.  

27 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It does, but I didn't read it as a negative with the sense that is was a criticism of a vet.  But I get your point.  And it doesn't matter how I perceived it.  

The Suncoast show content did not in of itself purposely offend Vets; it was a matter of the political and cultural atmosphere of the time where it was still way too close to both the Vietnam era and the VFW era and the show theme elicited too much passionate discussion that turned to bickering. 

As for Boston’s recent Core of Temptation which took a wink-wink view at lust and that the bite out of the apple, though naughty, was a really good thing.  How do you think Catholics in San Antonio and Lafayette as well as Protestants in Dallas and Houston received that show; with delight, annoyance, or with some semblance of offense?

I am not saying stay away from shows that may or may not offend; I am just stating that some shows have indeed been offensive to a significant portion of the people in the audience.

Edited by Stu

On 7/10/2017 at 11:44 AM, bluecoats88 said:

actually,  the vocals BD did in 2005 (Yowza Yowza Yowza) were live and performed by a pit member.  I thought they sounded the best of all the voice work done to that point.

Up until finals I never knew a person was voicing that show. I always thought it was recorded. It sounded professional. And as a big BD fan that was the couple of things i loved about the show.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, crownisking said:

Oregon Crusaders had a GREAT voiceover using James Earl Jones' voice a few years ago for their Raven show but they never quite had him as loud as I would have liked him to be.

All "Voice Overs" are never quite as soft as I want them to be. 

You know, kind of like Barney Fife doing the big solo in the Mayberry Choir soft. Andy and the choir director had him sing so low he couldn't be heard and another singer (The Corps) actually sang backstage into a microphone. (But Barney thought it was him) 

In other words, no audible voice/spoken words at all! Let the Brass play. If I want to hear freaking voice I'll go to the Opera, a Rock Concert or go see Celtic Woman.     

:giljotiini: for all those that are responsible for bringing it to the field! 

• Like 1