VOICE OVERS

On 7/8/2017 at 6:55 AM, crownisking said:

Oregon Crusaders had a GREAT voiceover using James Earl Jones' voice a few years ago for their Raven show but they never quite had him as loud as I would have liked him to be.

And then for Indy week they couldn't use him anymore and had to get a different voice over, not as good - copyright issues I believe.

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

And then for Indy week they couldn't use him anymore and had to get a different voice over, not as good - copyright issues I believe.

That would have been a big letdown for me if I had seen it live.

On 7/8/2017 at 9:46 AM, Cappybara said:

Literally never had any issues with BD's voiceovers, they're always very professional sounding because they're smart enough to know not to do it live through an MM. 

I hate live voiceovers/narration. The only time live voiceovers have ever been done well is Cadets 2014, and that dude was a professional. 

Not always....06 BD was live (the "offer he can' refuse" quote), as was 'Coats 07 and 08.

Even prerecorded can be irritating and pretentious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Not always....06 BD was live (the "offer he can' refuse" quote), as was 'Coats 07 and 08.

Eh. I'm good with pretentious because it still sounds professional, I'm not good with cheese and cringeworthy vocals that aren't done by a professional. 

Also good catch on BD 06. And to be fair to them, that was at the very beginning of the era of amplified vocals

Edited by Cappybara

32 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

'05 was live, too. Poor guy. Probably has nightmares of just the word "yowza" echoing in his brain.

He had, like, the perfect voice for that, too.

Side-note: I've been listening to that show a fair amount recently (it's a good tempo-setter for jogging...nice ramp-up). It may just be a little Stockholm syndrome, but that show really has some good music in there. The concepts they play with there are kinda fascinating, music-wise ("Wonderful Town" as a quiet drum break is delightful, for instance--an idea they brought back to great effect in 2011).

Then I went and found a video of the finals performance of the show again, and...no, no that show actually did just not work at all.

Shame, though, because the music in it is pretty delightful.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2017 at 11:08 AM, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

This issue can be resolved by eliminating electronics from the field completely.

What a terrible idea.  Perhaps we should eliminate brass instruments too because of all the crappy corps that don't play well.   I mean that's essentially the same thing right?  

3 minutes ago, DCImonkey said:

What a terrible idea.  Perhaps we should eliminate brass instruments too because of all the crappy corps that don't play well.   I mean that's essentially the same thing right?  

No.  I just want the best sound to win, not the best sound man.  Haha!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

No.  I just want the best sound to win, not the best sound man.  Haha!

That is an excellent quote!   HAHA  Love it.  I agree also.  

The best sound will still come through the speakers regardless.....As long as the playing is not artificial (I'm still looking at you Bluecoats 2014)  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCImonkey said:

That is an excellent quote!   HAHA  Love it.  I agree also.  

The best sound will still come through the speakers regardless.....As long as the playing is not artificial (I'm still looking at you Bluecoats 2014)  

I remember watching Spirit of Atlanta in 1979 with a friend and she asked me, "Is each horn player individually mic-ed up?"  Her jaw hit the floor when I told her no one uses microphones.  That was live, it was loud, and it was beautiful.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, derbydawg said:

After seeing Cascades, I think they fit into this discussion as example of weak fidelity and production value of a voice over. I do like the show and think they are much better this year. I don't think they need to rethink using the voice over, but I do hope this version is filler for now and they find someone who can help produce a much more believable and professional voice over. 

Just out of curiosity, do you mean the narrator or the singer?