VOICE OVERS

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I can understand the people who feel overwhelmed or feel that it's a bit over the top... but that's the point of this show. 

The over-the-top presentation is what makes this show so fun and entertaining and so Cavaliers. I really love it 

When compared to Xtraordinary (2011) which I can’t help doing as it’s basically the same theme, I falls short. It lacks the menacing, dark moody development. The nuance and creativity are crushed as the literalness of the of the electronic narration makes it seem shallow. It underestimates the imagination of the viewer and therefore, limits it. It hurts the reply value,  much better 1 off viewing show

6 minutes ago, cowtown said:

When compared to Xtraordinary (2011) which I can’t help doing as it’s basically the same theme, I falls short. It lacks the menacing, dark moody development. The nuance and creativity are crushed as the literalness of the of the electronic narration makes it seem shallow. It underestimates the imagination of the viewer and therefore, limits it. It hurts the reply value,  much better 1 off viewing show

This show isn't supposed to be dark and moody. It's supposed to be hyper-masculine and full of bravado. You compare it to a sitcom, and I argue that's exactly the type of thing it's supposed to mimic. It's a show for the audience to laugh and smile to, not gaze in awe. 

I feel like you're projecting something onto it that it's not supposed to be 

Edited by Cappybara

Maybe, the show announcements from both were about the same, the spelling of XtraordinarY was a nod to the XY (male) chromosome which also showed up on their flags. And they did strive for feats of awe and the power of man then too. This show does take a turn to the dark with the running man to the gun through the end. So yeah, different but the same

28 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I can understand the people who feel overwhelmed or feel that it's a bit over the top... but that's the point of this show. 

The over-the-top presentation is what makes this show so fun and entertaining and so Cavaliers. I really love it 

Not this defense again.  So if the design was intended to be annoying and offensive, and fans are driven completely away and stop attending shows as a result, then the design achieved its intent and should receive 40 points in GE?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

... So if the design was intended to be annoying and offensive, and fans are driven completely away and stop attending shows as a result, then the design achieved its intent and should receive 40 points in GE?

According to the criteria set forth on the DCI GE sheets, the way DCI adjudicators are trained to interpret those criteria, and that DCI judges are trained not to allow their own interests, nor the interests of the fans, sway their evaluations; if the intended show design by the Corps was in fact meant to annoy and be offensive, and the corps did in fact achieve those goals to the highest level of human performance, then whether you or I like it or not the answer is: yes, it should receive a perfect score in GE.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:10 PM, DCImonkey said:

What a terrible idea.  Perhaps we should eliminate brass instruments too because of all the crappy corps that don't play well.   I mean that's essentially the same thing right?  

You...you have seen drum corps pre-2004 right?

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not this defense again.  So if the design was intended to be annoying and offensive, and fans are driven completely away and stop attending shows as a result, then the design achieved its intent and should receive 40 points in GE?

Annoying, I can understand due to the brash nature of the show, but offensive? thats a bit much. 

Okay lemme know when this Cavies show drives down sales at DCI shows :lle::laughing:

scores aren't defined by how much fans like it. Do you think BD 2010 and 2012 were getting standing ovations?

Edited by Cappybara

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

You...you have seen drum corps pre-2004 right?

I'm sure everyone on DCP has. People who post on this forum are all hardcore drum corps fans. That does not mean they have to prefer pre-2004 drum corps. 

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm sure everyone on DCP has.

You'd be surprised. In a large number of cases it's just the few famous shows everyone will always talk about (SCV 1989 and the like).

Just now, Hrothgar15 said:

You'd be surprised. In a large number of cases it's just the few famous shows everyone will always talk about (SCV 1989 and the like).

Fair enough, I shouldn't assume. My point remains though

• Like 1