So what are we going to do about it?

33 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I think if you really want to make it change, it’d be easier going through the corps than to DCI. DCI is doing what the corps want anyway so it gives them a safety of ignoring you   

DCI is the voting member corps as opposed to an independent body; thus Dan, Sue, David, and all the rest administrate the organization at the pleasure of those corps.

11 minutes ago, tedrick said:

BOA and high school marching band drive the activity now - so if show designers are doing cool things for HS marching bands they're going to want to do those same things in DCI -- ultimately, I guess all we can do as fans is decide at what point we're going to stop enjoying the activity and spend our money elsewhere -- for the MMs, it's a shame because musicians are going to lose out on the unique experience -- all because of show designers who wanted to push the activity to unsustainable levels ---

Best case outcome is show designers realize that mic'ing the horn ensemble is great for broadway pit orchestras, Blast and indoor WGI but not for drum corps.

this is exactly why I am for 2 different class.   not every corps should be WGI outdoor - but when ones goes that direction, the other feel like they have to in order to "keep up" thus changing the activity as a whole

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CCond said:

I'm gonna save you the trouble of keeping the argument going. I don't really care about any of this or what your opinion is on anything. You think you're right, I think I'm right. In the grand scheme of things, none of it matters. This website is just chalked full of folks that would rather be right about their opinion than just enjoy the show, which is a shame. I truly hope you (and since you had to say that it wasn't your petition, I thought I'd mention that I am using the royal you, as in everybody) can learn to just enjoy the show. Have a great day, friend! 

Oh and you were right about something, there were only around 25-26 thousand folks at finals last year. That's still a pretty great number of people losing it for these sorts of shows in the live setting. 

While I agree with most all of your post here, DCP did publically expose the G7 proposal prematurally to the non G7 voting members, which in turn allowed for the whole ordeal to be aired out in the open and ending with embarrassing situation for the G7.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

While I agree with most all of your post here, DCP did publically expose the G7 proposal prematurally to the non G7 voting members, which in turn allowed for the whole ordeal to be aired out in the open and ending with embarrassing the G7.

Thank the aliens that happened. 

Just now, E3D said:

Thank the aliens that happened. 

But the non G7 were not up in arms because we on DCP did not like it, they were up in arms because the proposal would have directly harmed them. All DCP did was get it exposed out in the light of day.

This is a very applicable video to this subject. Constraints are not always bad and in fact often good. All evolution, all change, is not always good.

Also just as a little anecdote I asked around with people I know that are essentially laymen but do know about DCI and Marching Band and have seen competitions for both. Dominant answer to the question of amplification of the whole horn line was "isn't that cheating?". And I think that's interesting. If these people, who theoretically should care about just seeing a good show, intuitively react with the idea that this must be wrong and it is wildly unfair then I think we have an issue. Huge issue I haven't seen here is the ever-widening gap between poor and rich groups. This is especially evident in marching band, but drum corps as well. Already there are enough advantages to money and ways "buy" success to some extent. Now, almost necessary amplification on this scale massively increases the investment REQUIRED to be competitive. The richer corps and bands get elevated higher and higher while the poorer ones get even further stomped on.

1 hour ago, dcibrando said:

this is exactly why I am for 2 different class.   not every corps should be WGI outdoor - but when ones goes that direction, the other feel like they have to in order to "keep up" thus changing the activity as a whole

Ummm... DCI actually already has not two but four distinct classes: World Class, Open Class SoundSport, and Drum Line Battle.  Nobody forces Pioneer, for example, to compete in the WC against Bloo, Crown, BD, and SCV; they can choose to be OC, or SS for that matter, if they so desire.

Edited by Stu

Just go enjoy the #### shows and quit complaining. This year has been incredibly enjoyable so far. Holy crap people.

• Like 2

"So what are we going to do about it?"

By the looks of this thread, I think the answer is complain on DCP.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

"So what are we going to do about it?"

By the looks of this thread, I think the answer is complain on DCP.

Your statement of the obvious here actually reflects the entirety of DCP in a nutshell. just sayin'.