Corps staffers gather: What would you tell them

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

Those are war words. ... Size does not equate to ability. Strength is a better measure from throwing a seven to rushing the stands at 260 bpm.

Enter the Fat Dragon. (Actual title of film starring the actor featured below, although that's not where this clip is from.)

Staffs, you’ve tried but after over a decade of amps and electronic you still can’t get it right, some of you even cost your corps a championship and now its ruining large parts of the stadiums seats by feeding them a bad mix…I’m sure we can all agree, it’s just not worth it. You failed to prove the merits of AE vs the pitfalls.  Let’s stop with this failure and ban them

this 'big person' debate is odd because marchers today look huge, when I marched *yawn*, we looked emaciated by finals and now, they dont 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Like BAC's protest drill "G7" of a few years back.

That's one that fit their theme very well.

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Didn't 1999 Cavaliers have a bigger guy in their CG? That guy was a boss and he was moving!!

Yes they did, and yes he was. But obviously we remember him because most of the guard didn't look like that.

12 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Staffs, you’ve tried but after over a decade of amps and electronic you still can’t get it right, some of you even cost your corps a championship and now its ruining large parts of the stadiums seats by feeding them a bad mix…I’m sure we can all agree, it’s just not worth it. You failed to prove the merits of AE vs the pitfalls.  Let’s stop with this failure and ban them

People who sit in the first 10 rows of any stadium get an earful of "electronic disturbance" these days. I'd suggest restricting amplification to SINGLE BRASS INSTRUMENT PERFORMANCE and VOCALS only.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

People who sit in the first 10 rows of any stadium get an earful of "electronic disturbance" these days. I'd suggest restricting amplification to SINGLE BRASS INSTRUMENT PERFORMANCE and VOCALS only.

Amplification was originally added with the explanation that it would reduce wear-and-tear on mallet instruments and on mallet players' arms, and also that those players could thus be using the performance techniques appropriate to the concert hall.

I asked repeatedly on these forums why that argument would not also apply to the brass players. "OK, we'll mic all the brass players, too" was not the response I was looking for.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
To remove stray word.
  • Like 1

N.E. Brigand , 

Yes, I remember the logic about the pit keyboards. That did make sense. Even that group is becoming over-bearing through electronics, I think.  This entire matter disturbs me greatly, but only one man's opinion here.  

I don't care if everyone has the same impeccable marching technique from member to member; you must do more to score higher.  I see instance where spacing is horrible, but technique matches from member to member, and BAM! high score.  Bad timing, but same technique, high score.  Out of sync rifle spins, but with same technique...  1st place...  Uniform technique is not the end all and be all, and it never should have been...

Need more emphasis on brass than currently is present. I see the marketing is even being away from drum and bugle corps to musical performance ensemble...  What's next,  pit, small brass ensemble, and battery with mega guard?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

I don't care if everyone has the same impeccable marching technique from member to member; you must do more to score higher.  I see instance where spacing is horrible, but technique matches from member to member, and BAM! high score.  Bad timing, but same technique, high score.  Out of sync rifle spins, but with same technique...  1st place...  Uniform technique is not the end all and be all, and it never should have been...

Bring back the tick system. That got it right, every single time. :lol: