Has the time come?

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wow, Mike, you're hitting all my buttons today.

The math is simple: increasing MM's increases potential income to the corps but all of which will be spent on both MM expenses and equipment and programming.  Increasing to 200 at existing corps limits the potential to 1200 new kids (24 WC corps).  At, roughly, $2,500 pp, tour fees, that's a total potential (all being the same) of $3,000,000.

If those same 50 new members were, instead, used to seed 24 new corps at 150 max each, the total number of new potential MMs is 3600, and the revenue potential increases to $9million.

24 new corps would allow for an almost doubling of the number of shows (I hear Sue K. in DCI's scheduling office having a coronary...).  Doubling the number of shows effectively doubles (and likely more than doubles) the amount of revenue DCI has to pay out each season under the existing payout scheme.

More corps = more competition = more fans = bigger gate...

Ah, business investment guy. $2400 is very low average when Cadets and others cost $4000 plus now charge for your costumes.

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

The math is simple: increasing MM's increases potential income to the corps but all of which will be spent on both MM expenses and equipment and programming.  Increasing to 200 at existing corps limits the potential to 1200 new kids (24 WC corps).  At, roughly, $2,500 pp, tour fees, that's a total potential (all being the same) of $3,000,000.

If those same 50 new members were, instead, used to seed 24 new corps at 150 max each, the total number of new potential MMs is 3600, and the revenue potential increases to $9million.

24 new corps would allow for an almost doubling of the number of shows (I hear Sue K. in DCI's scheduling office having a coronary...).  Doubling the number of shows effectively doubles (and likely more than doubles) the amount of revenue DCI has to pay out each season under the existing payout scheme.

More corps would certainly be good - providing they are financially fit (another topic).

Wonder how you could get the 50 to seed another corps?   Perhsps DCI could scholarship members as an incentive.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I am sure this has been discussed many times before, but a rolling food truck convoy would take a huge burden off of corps. Yes, it would not work for all shows, but it would work for many if not most. 

By this, do you mean to say that you are wanting to move DCI into being more of a 'collectivist' organization than it already is by taking away more and more independence, like feeding their own corps, from the individual corps themselves?  I, for one, would not like that forced collectivism idea.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I am sure this has been discussed many times before, but a rolling food truck convoy would take a huge burden off of corps. Yes, it would not work for all shows, but it would work for many if not most. 

A few years back, some corps created a food service consortium for the purpose of negotiating improved pricing. I am not sure how many are teamed up now, or what food distributor companies are used, but they do work together on matters such as these to help control costs.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

DCI would never go to 170 from 150.    If there is ever an increase in membership size, it would be to 200.  The reason:  you will need another bus and you'll want to fill every seat.    You will lose money with a 1/2 filled bus.

Again:

Bus lease is around $1,000/day. With around 52 days of full tour that comes to $52,000 in expenditure.

Member dues are about $3,000. An increase in just 18 members will reap $54,000 in added revenue.

Additional bus lease is thereby covered provided 168 members are secured; so 170 would actually work (for the bus lease)

However, 200, if secured, would provide additional revenue beyond what is needed for the bus.

My beef is that once again the burden of expenditure is entirely placed on the pockets of the youth.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Again:

Bus lease is around $1,000/day. With around 52 days of full tour that comes to $52,000 in expenditure.

Member dues are about $3,000. An increase in just 18 members will reap $54,000 in added revenue.

Additional bus lease is thereby covered provided 168 members are secured; so 170 would actually work (for the bus lease)

However, 200, if secured, would provide additional revenue beyond what is needed for the bus.

My beef is that once again the burden of expenditure is entirely placed on the pockets of the youth.

Not disputing your numbers, but a full bus is a money-maker.  That's why I don't think we will ever see a membership max that doesn't take into consideration the economics of seats-to-fanies. 

As for expenditures from the pockets of the youth.  I understand your thinking on that one - and often think about that whenever I'm attending a packed drum corps show.  Think about it, DCI's product is made up of kids who pay to play - not the other way around.   DCI has a good thing going for them too.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, garfield said:

I really would like to see more financially sound corps and more youth served. And I do not wish to derail by harping on this.  But who is really driving the DCI competitive bus here?  It is actually the desires of the corps which have been constantly at the top of the WC combined with the fans who go into the stands.  While I despised the greed bordering on what I considered as potential thievery within the proposal, those corps directors do have a point in that many if not most fans watch them in the lot then follow them into the shows.  So, my question to you is what real competitive and butts in the seats impact would 24 more corps actually have that the 16 other WC and 24 OC corps are not already providing (considering many fans are not going into the stadium to even watch those corps)?

Edited by Stu

20 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Not disputing your numbers, but a full bus is a money-maker.  That's why I don't think we will ever see a memberrship max that doesn't take into consideration the economics of seats-to-fanies. 

As for expenditures from the pockets of the youth.  I understand your thinking on that one - and often think about that whenever I'm attending a packed drum corps show.  Think about it, DCI's product is made up of kids who pay to play - not the other way around.   DCI has a good thing going for them too.

Think about this though: If the largest part of outlays are taken care of by the youth, and it costs the same in tuition to go to Local Technical College (name of a smaller OC corps) as it does to go to Harvard (name of a top WC corps), how does that really benefit the youth who go to the Local Technical College?

Edited by Stu

52 minutes ago, xandandl said:

This is probably most doable given that the current customs often have more than one corps sharing snack after performances. The outpouring of love to the Phantom Regiment by many corps (Academy, Crossmen, Blue Devils staff, etc.) is an example I think we can all recognize this summer.  Spirit, Cadets, Cavaliers, Crown and BAC are others who often dine with a duo. Would this turn into a show sponsor's challenge to feed them local cuisine or turn into my generousity is greater than yours competition?

With the evolution of food trucks, I can tell you it is very easy to bring in outside food on a per head basis. In Nashville, if you made a food truck court for the kids you would have six options and the kids would love it. The issue you have is getting approvals from the facility, as they often have contracts that strictly prohibit outside food.

if my kid marched with a world class corps, and this was an option, I would gladly fund a food card separate from tuition.

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

By this, do you mean to say that you are wanting to move DCI into being more of a 'collectivist' organization than it already is by taking away more and more independence, like feeding their own corps, from the individual corps themselves?  I, for one, would not like that forced collectivism idea.

I'm suggesting it would be better for the kids and the corps if food were a collective effort.