TOC/NightBEAT Winston-Salem, NC - July 30

Do we know who the panel for Finals night is yet?  Because it looks like this is going to come down to who is judging GE that night.  The judging community seems pretty split on BD vs. SCV in that regard.  SCV won GE comfortably in Georgia, and then one night later finishes .2 back, with one judge giving them 3rd to Crown.

GE will decide this sucker.

• Like 1

I'll just give my "show review" because I have some thoughts about the shows last night

Colts-I've had the little singing voiceover stuck in my head for the past 3 days, and I couldn't figure out where it was from...This show is so much better than last year's show, especially conisdering the props actually work this year. Nice brass sound...I think this show works better live than on FloMarching.

Troopers-Man. I hate those tarps, and they look super dangerous to march on, but the show is great. Nessun Dorma is the highlight for sure.

Madison-I just can't get into this show like I can with other Scouts shows. Brass sounds great, and I really feel like they've stepped it up since last year, but I wouldn't be upset at all if this show was done on Friday night.....I'll see it again tonight, and I'll give it a second chance :)

Mandarins-Best Mandarins show I've ever seen. Ever. I felt like it was a little flat last night compared to what I've seen on Flo, but even with that I enjoyed the show. Sound of Silence makes it for me.

Crossmen-This is up with '92 Crossmen for my favorite show from them ever...I don't understand the props, but I don't feel like I need to really. Hope the guard member is okay...

Boston- No words. This corps has just completely changed since last season. It was in my top 3 of the night. It just works.

Academy-Such a fun show, and the fact that they're playing recognizable music makes it that much better. I wish I felt like they were having more fun with it, maybe? I'm not sure...I can't wait to see this in Indy!

INT- Worst corps of the night.

SCV-I really do not know how this show hasn't beaten the Blue Devils yet, I've read on here that the show just grabs you by the throat and forces you to watch, and man is that right. This might be one of my favorite drum corps shows ever, and I sincerely hope that they win in a couple of weeks.

Cavaliers-I hated this show when I saw it at the premier in June. It's finally working, and I just love it...no matter where they place it's a fantastic show, but I wish they'd get rid of the little joke "What's up *city name*" 

Phantom- It's definitely a Phantom Regiment show...but it's just not my favorite this year. That said, the amping of the hornline didn't bother me NEARLY as much as I thought it would, having read forums here I thought it would just be awful, but I didn't notice any difference at all in their sound. I do love this show, and the music is fantastic.

Bluecoats-I want to love this show as much as last years, but it's just so underwhelming for me. I love the music they're playing and I love how they get into it...and it's hard to sit still watching them, but the brass wasn't very loud last night...I was on the 50 and the Psychopomp just felt...quiet. The ballad still doesn't work for me. It's probably the most beautiful thing being played this year, but when they turn around, I'm not sure if the speakers stopped working or what, but I couldn't hear the hornline at all. I love that they're turning back around at the end. That closer is probably the best thing I've ever seen from them, its just insane!

Cadets-For all the hate they get, I absolutely LOVE this show. It just is starting to work so well. It's definitely a show that deserves to be seen live before a judgement is made. New closer is so much better!! I'll enjoy watching this one again.

Blue Devils-While I like Vanguard's show just a little more, it might just be .014% more. This is my favorite Blue Devils show ever. Flight of the Bumblebee is still dirty, but the rest of the show is just great. Those trumpets can absolutely scream, and its so much fun to listen to. 

Crown-Another show that needs to be seen live to get an accurate opinion on it. I saw this early June, and enjoyed it, but didn't ever think I'd like it as much as I do now. Those guys are killing this show, and it's fun to watch and to listen to. The singer is just wonderful, and I think she works so well with that brass in person. For Good made me tear up...I definitely see why this show is staying in 3rd.

It's not much, but I'm not very good at these things :)

Now to get ready for the show tonight in Salem!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, MyKids#1Fan said:

For me it's not the quality of the vocals....she's very good.  

Its the quantity.......it goes on and on and on

Have you seen Cadets show?   Worst overabundance of unnecessary vocals in the history of DCI.    Crown's vocalist performs her duet with the hornline perfectly well and blended (yes I saw it live)  and then immediately goes into the Percussion ensemble piece which is their closer, which (in case you don't know anything about the source music) features a vocalist.     You know what that piece doesn't include originally?   A HORNLINE.    So if you want to complain....complain about Crown's use of hornline in their closer because it's not meant to be there...... but you won't do that because you're not stupid.   You know that it's all necessary and she's actually a very good and capable singer but you're butthurt because they dared to try something NEW....and they get standing ovations for it.  Hey man, I get it, there are lots of people that are uncomfortable with new things, but let's drop this mess.   Singing isn't going anywhere.   

You know what I hate?    Singing that isn't being naturally produced!   That's right Cavaliers, Colts, Blue Devils, Mandarins and someone else that escapes me.   If you're going to have singing in your show at least have the balls to have someone actually performing it.   It's so easy to hit a button instead of using real talent.   That upsets me 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, geluf said:

Do we know who the panel for Finals night is yet?  Because it looks like this is going to come down to who is judging GE that night.  The judging community seems pretty split on BD vs. SCV in that regard.  SCV won GE comfortably in Georgia, and then one night later finishes .2 back, with one judge giving them 3rd to Crown.

GE will decide this sucker.

I heard on a flo marching discussion that for the past 11 years the winner has won GE. 

7 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

I heard on a flo marching discussion that for the past 11 years the winner has won GE. 

Regiment didn't win GE in '08...but yes for the most part

8 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

Neither did BD in 2015.  Took 2nd in that caption to Crown.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

I didn't verify...figured If they mentioned it they at least checked for accuracy. Should have known :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geluf said:

Neither did BD in 2015.  Took 2nd in that caption to Crown.

Where are they getting their info? Gesh...have and broadcast a discussion re GE and it's inaccurate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trumpet2 said:

I'll just give my "show review" because I have some thoughts about the shows last night

Crossmen-This is up with '92 Crossmen for my favorite show from them ever...I don't understand the props, but I don't feel like I need to really. Hope the guard member is okay...

The Guard member

The guard member got 1 staple, but has no concussion and is resting today.  One strong young lady.

She dropped her rifle, was picking it up, and hit her head on a bass drum while coming up.

The Props

They represent different things at different stages of the show.  At the beginning, the corps starts with a question mark and the props are a wall with an opening that they come through.

At other times, they represent a maze, a box, and various roadblocks in life.

The five stages of the show are:  Question, Endless Possibilities, Maze, Struggle, Lightbulb.

Ed Devlin explains show here:  http://www.flomarching.com/video/1219001-ed-devlin-talks-crossmens-2017-production-enigma#.WX-GmoTyvct

In addition to their function to the show, the props hold the guard equipment in their base.

• Like 2